Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Where are you getting your plug wires?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Crazy Steve, Jun 13, 2019.

1. I've been looking to replace the colored plug wires on my avatar. Should be simple, right? Turns out not to be the case....

Motor is a SBF, so you'd think no problem. My usual go-to is the specific-fit Belden sets sold by NAPA. But here's the issue; I want the late-style routing around the end of the valve covers, not the over-the-covers routing of the early ones. But the late style only comes with HEI-style ends at the distributor, I'm running the early non-electronic cap. And there's no 'give' in the Belden sets, they only fit as OEM.

So I did a search in the usual places; Jegs, Summit, some of the ignition outfits. But I can't seem to find exactly what I need. I figure I need 5 90 degree plug ends, 3 straights, and 90s at the distributor to yield a neat installation. And did I mention that I want traditional, 'normal'-sized black wires? Where color was an option when searching, that really cut down the choices... I find it hard to believe that people actually buy some of those colors...

It looks like to get what I want I'll need to buy two sets to get the plug ends I need. Moroso, MSD, and Taylor all sell sets that would work, any brand preference out there?

Or does somebody have a better idea/source?

2. I've been using Taylor wires, black is my choice of wires but they offer 9 different colors, plus black & white. HRP

Taylor colored wires

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  3. Bigchuck

Bigchuck
    from Austin, TX

Buy a roll of spark plug wire, the various ends you need, a crimper, and make your own!

4. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

5. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Taylor here.7-8mm.they sell black and Laquer thinner removes any lettering.

i.rant and Max Gearhead like this.
  6. A Boner

A Boner

Duralast 1600 or 1601 for a SBC, don't know the Ford #'s.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
    bchrismer likes this.
  7. Yup, what @a boner said. Sells for $16.00 a set. Cut to length and crimp, and they are 8mm.

8. H380

H380
    from Louisiana

9. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Yes, Brillman! They have every known type and look of wire for anything relevant here!
    If Brillman cannot fit you out you need to check some other planets.
    When you are the person putting on the wire ends yourself satisfactory routing becomes easy.
    My usual practice is to put on the distributor end terminals and boots first and leave the other end of wire a few inches long. Route the wires, then you can snip off each at the perfect place,

10. I use Taylors too but I don't buy the motor specific plug wires, I buy the cut to fit and they come with different ends for the distributer.

@Crazy Steve I may have some spare boots in the garage if you need them and I found out something real quick when I began trying to sort out an SBF that I absolutely could not believe. It is hard to find ignition parts for them. Things have really changed in the last few years.

11. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

I just buy bulk wire and the ends and build my own

oliver westlund and jimmy six like this.
  12. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Another vote for Brillman. I got a 250' spool of Packard 440 from them, plus a bunch of Rajah spark plug connectors, and some other odd bits and pieces, and I'm set for life. Nobody listens to AM radio anymore anyway.:p

13. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

14. lake_harley

lake_harley

I bought out a Western Auto store's inventory a few years ago. I have a set of wires that might work. They fit 302 engines from '78 - '85. Price would be $23 including shipping via USPS flat rate box. I can measure the wires and take a photo so you can check if they'll fit the way you want and if you like the looks of them. Send a PM and I can get back with you.

Lynn

15. Another vote for Brillman. Just call, ask for Mr. Brillman, and tell him what you need and he will fix you right up. I get all my electrical stuff from him. Always good stuff and fair prices.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

16. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I use 7mm Pertronix "stock look" black universal wire sets.

LM14 likes this.
  17. You know wiring, so why not do as other say and make your own? Add some Raja clips and be period perfect.

18. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I think Autozone sells a black cut to fit set.

19. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I haven't bought plug wires in nearly 25 years, bought these direct from The General back when my plan was to do my 327 as a restored L79, with headers in the plan now I doubt these will live very long.

20190613_173854.jpg 20190613_174032.jpg

20. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Another vote for Pertronix. I've been buying black 8mm wires from Summit. You build them yourself, can get any style ends the distributor end (since you cut them to fit and assemble them) and several different angles are available on the plug end. Make any routing pattern you want. I bought 2 sets, 1-90* and 1-115*. Since I'm doing 2 engines. I also use HEI style distributor ends since they fir better than the old male style. You can get small diameter HEI style caps.
    SPark

90* ends
    engine17.jpg

115* ends engine18.jpg

21. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

IMG_0853.JPG I prefer to custom tailor plug wires so the routing looks nice. It's a little more work but end result is worth the effort. My brand of choice is MOROSO or MSD. If you don't like the lettering on the wire it comes off with acetone or paint thinner.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
    nunattax likes this.
  22. 32Stoker

32Stoker

Does anyone know where to buy 7mm Carbon Core or Resistor Core Wire (containing no strands of steel) that looks like Packard 440?

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

23. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

24. I appreciate the feedback guys...

The Brillman cloth-covered wires are out; those look good on a '40s/early 50s build, but my car is firmly in the '60s... To use those, I'd have to find a set of 'flathead' valve covers... :eek:

Not big on 'house brand' plug wires, I've had issues in the past; that's why I usually stuck with the OEM-fit Beldens. Of the three parts houses in town, Auto Zone runs last with me...

Right now I'm leaning toward the Taylors; they look like the best-bang-for-the-buck and if I get 6 and 4 cylinder sets with the right plug ends, that'll save me a few more bucks. I like the Pertronix, but they're bit rich for my blood.

And I'm with @Black_Sheep, they look so much better if fitted. With the exception of the Beldens, I've never seen a aftermarket 'custom fit' set that looked right.

25. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've run Taylors on two or three rigs in the past and never had an issue with them. Different engine but same reason for buying the put the end on yourself set. Getting them to fit the way I wanted.

26. I've found Taylor wires hard to prep the ends on, maybe there is a stripping tool for them?

I've been using a guy on eBay, Packard wires with boot options, can get pre-made or with 1 end not done. Prices are pretty good too.

27. Those duralast wires are pretty nice
    I try to avoid Autozone too, actually the only time I willingly go is for a set of those plug wires

bchrismer likes this.
  28. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

29. RacingRoger

RacingRoger

Last time I did anything like that was decades ago. Recently I got a cheap set of wires for an OT Ford Mod Motor that were completely junk. So my question is, has anyone had a bad experience with building their own wires? And would you recommend building your own wires over buying cheap commercially made ones?