Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Early Frankland Quick Changes

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by inliner2318, Jun 13, 2019.

1. inliner2318

inliner2318
    from Tyler, TX

I can’t seem to find any information on these.
    Are these good for building?
    What carrier do they use?
    The axles are from early for 3/4-1ton fords?
    Parts available?
    Is the bolt pattern the regular ford wide 5?

Thanks in advance for the info. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
    Haven Hills Auto Club likes this.
  2. alchemy

alchemy

Yes.
    3/4 ton Ford and some old Stude.
    Yes, or aftermarket. Uses two housings of the same side off that Ford.
    Yes.
    The race hubs are the same BP as early wide five Ford. But the studs are probably 5/8"

inliner2318 likes this.
  3. DOCTOR SATAN

DOCTOR SATAN
    from okc

What year are you thinking that quickie is....? I have one on my bedroom floor with big hurst air heart brakes and Detroit locker....is it a QC80....?

4. inliner2318

inliner2318
    from Tyler, TX

It has to be late 50s early 60s? Model QC-80

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019

5. Follow the Quick Change thread on here....lots of good info. Yours looks like a late 60''s or 70's.....they used them in the 80's as well. Just picked up another one with Wildwood disk brakes set up. Speedway has them in their catalog as well.

6. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

I have a 3/4 ton rear end I'll sell

7. inliner2318

inliner2318
    from Tyler, TX

Yes. It’s a QC-80. What do you think I should do with it? Worth rebuilding or sell and invest in a new Street Winters with steel bells?

The tubes need to be redone. Should I go with 5X5.5” BP and 9” ford tubes/axles? MT brakes?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

They are good rear ends I run one in my willys pickup I bought a used gold track differential off the evil bay for super cheap and changed axle ends and use 9” axles

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

gary macdonald and inliner2318 like this.
  9. yep....picked up another with the Winters wide five disk brake set up......

inliner2318 likes this.
  10. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

By the time you change the tubes, backing plates, brakes and axles, (those are 12 spline) and probably a spool, you might find someone rebuilding an old circle track car and sell it. That way you can get what you desire, in a new one. Just my thoughts.

inliner2318 likes this.
  11. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Alchemy and Marty have it right. That rear end can be made to work just fine. Is it worth it? Only you can determine that. The deciding factor for me would be if it has a differential and if the R&P are good. Of it's a spool and the Ring and Pinion are junk, you would be better off to part it out. The Buick Drums and brakes are the most valuable pieces.

As far as the date, Frankland dated some of their cases. The upper link bracket tells me that it is probably later than the 60's and could be well into the 80's. The iron bells were pretty obsolete by the late 70's.

If you want a new Winters, private message me!

gary macdonald likes this.
  12. inliner2318

inliner2318
    from Tyler, TX

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

13. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

I have an old Frankland QC in my '27 T roadster. It is out of my retired late model dirt stock car from the 80's. I polished the center section. I had to shorten the right side axle tube and buy a shorter right side axle. Had to have one custom made because of the old spline configuration. I run old Coleman W5 hubs. It still has the spool in it. The whole time I was building it, I kept wondering if it would push the front end around corners and I would have to put in a diff. I didn't. It works perfectly. The only noticeable thing is when I make a sharp, slow turn on slick asphalt, I hear a little tire chirp. When it launches, it goes straight. IMG_0958.JPG

14. inliner2318

inliner2318
    from Tyler, TX

I like it. People get scared to run a spool on the street. Several guys I know do it and it shouldn’t be an issue if you know how to drive.

15. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

Yeah. You can't run a spool on the street! ;);). I have almost 20 K miles on the car and never a problem. I have even been caught in the rain with cheater slicks. Just use your head instead of your right foot.

gary macdonald and Baron like this.
  16. Frames

Frames

Look closer buddy. The hubs are 39-41 Ford 3/4 and 1 ton STEEL See the rust. This rear must have weighed 400lbs.

17. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Rain is certainly a factor. Er, that... and the UNSPRUNG WEIGHT!

X38 likes this.
  18. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

I know we are revitalizing an old thread, but I found out a couple years back that guys are now running heavy wall axle tubes to gain forward traction. It's not legal here locally, and I saw two guys get disqualified for it one night.

19. Frames

Frames

Heavy axle tubes. What kind of racing?

20. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Racing where they hit the walls.

21. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

IMCA modifieds, it had my friend wondering about modifying his 9 inch stock car housing to get the same effect. I had ways been told, and followed the advice, to keep unsprung weight to a minimum. I have heard that since the late '70's, when subframed late models hit the scene, and big block power was abandoned along with full production frames. When they did this after-race inspection I spoke of, I was astounded, but the first and second place cars were running those heavy wall tubes, and were handling quite well, better than the 20 odd guys that followed them to the flag. I know you have way more knowledge than I, when did this become a thing?

22. Darkhorse

Darkhorse

I had a QC-80 in my '32 roadster for over a decade. Ran great. Franklin is still in business. I believe they are in Pennsylvania. All the parts are available. Bought new Dutchman axles for 5×5-1/2" bc. They whine a small amount but just enough to let you know they are there.
    Price out repair, they are neat units.
    Good luck