Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Rochester 2G matters:

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by c-10 simplex, Jan 6, 2016.

1. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

Wow--i practically forgot this thread existed. As an update, the 2G needed a rebuild; i ended up replacing the 2G with a quadrajet (you'll notice closely in the pic i was using an adapter to run the 2g on a quadrajet manifold) The quadrajet is a "Jeg's" reman model #15805, which is actually, i believe, manufactured by JET, just branded as "Jeg's." This carb has run pretty good for the past 3 years, except i'm having a problem with prolonged idling---in unexpected traffic jams, which i suspect has to do with percolation/flooding.......

i'm not disagreeing with the GM manuals. My hunch is that since you really only need enough pressure to keep the bowl(s) filled and with today's easier to boil gas, 2-3 lbs. "should" be enough for street cruising......maybe.......

i mean, how many times do you really rev it past 4000 and for how long?

Racing.......different story......

2. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

P.S.
    The only reason i even ran the crappy carb in the pic was i "lost" my regular 2G that was working great. This good 2G was found in my garage months after i got the quadrajet.

Stupid, i know.......:(

3. SHARKO

SHARKO

I took my rear carb apart twice and checked the float in hot water. The Viton needle and seat looked good and the level was good. Both times though I got a flood. I reinstalled my 30 year old Gros valve and no leak so far. My gauge says5lbs. I am still intrigued by lower pressures but I'll drive it a while first. I think the V needle went bad (I still can't see it) gradually as it was progressively fumy and the idle increased.

4. SHARKO

SHARKO

The car idles great now. Does anyone have some not too ugly petcocks to eliminate the end carbs for tuning and diagnosis and to make getting home easy if you are north of Winnemuca?