Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods steering box replacement

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by trc, Jun 13, 2019.

1. trc

trc

hi guys i have a question regarding the steering box in my 1953 chevy 210. the worm gear and sector shaft are both shot and I'm having almost no luck finding replacements. I was just curious if a steering box out of a later model 1955 and up or something out of a chevelle, nova camaro etc would fit. thanks for your time

2. The old Chevy box fits 49-54. Takes some major upgrades to change it. All that said I've never tried the Toyota power steering change. Somebody has a used box that's good check out the Hamb ads are place ad in the wanted section. Check national Chevy are one of the forms that does the early Chevy. That's an opinion.

3. If your going to get another box to rebuild, get a box for a 54, it has bearings in it that replace the bushings in the 49 to 53 boxes. The 49 to 54 box is specific to those cars and good luck adapting something to it and making everything fit. Its in real pain in the ass spot and I'm not a huge fan of the steering set up on them. You may be able to adapter some thing from a first gen Corvette. its the same front suspension as a 49 to 54 chevy on the vettes up through 62. That being said, I did see a power steering conversion kit for the 49 to 54 Chevy recently. I believe its was through CPP, but seems like it was around $1200, for that price, I'd be doing a mustang II front swap.

4. trc

trc

thanks for the info much appreciated. I just checked summit racing and they sell rebuilt steering boxes for the 1962 corvette. But I'm not a fan of the stock setup either but those clips are not cheap. decisions decisions. lol

5. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

6. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

keep looking , someone has one they will sell. i might have one or i am going to swap meet tomorrow will look there.

7. trc

trc

thanks for all the tips guys. turns out the worm gear and sector gear weren't worn as bad as i thought according the steering box guy it won't be the tightest steering but it will be safe. i might do the the front clip next winter or the year after depending. one other thing i installed new kingpins in the front suspension september 2015 the car came off the road august 2016 with very few miles . just curious how long kingpins usually last till they have to be replaced.

8. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

king pins will last the life of the car if they are greased regularly, like every time you change your oil

9. the box may or may not interchange. I have not used a vette box on one before, the difference would be the angle on how it mounts as the Vette steering shaft is much more horizontal compared to the 49 to 54 car angle. it may be a difference in the box casting or the mounting bracket on the frame, I'm not sure which. Also the steering shaft may not be the same length has the earlier car on either. all things to check before you purchase a rebuilt box. Also take core charge into consideration too. if you buy a Vette box, and the casting is different, you may not get your core charge back with the early car one.

I have seen several of the 49 to 54's with a late Jag front suspension swapped onto it. that could be another option.

10. trc

trc

thanks for all the info appreciated. I got the car back today took it out for a test spin with my dad ran great very responsive.. The whole time the water temperature was reading 210 and didn't budge. Unfortunately i didn't notice what the water temperature was when i picked it up just curious if thats the average temp wise. the engine is a straight six 292 with a huge aluminum radiator