Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Anyone on here into silver soldering on "our" cars?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stueeee, Jun 13, 2019.

1. Stueeee

Stueeee
    from Kent, UK

I'm talking about what is effectively a lower temperature brazing process here rather than using the soft solders which have some Silver in them.

I have found Silver Soldering (AKA hard soldering) to be really useful on fine work on my cars where high strength and resistance to vibration is needed. Things like this small Stainless steel bracket I made for my '28 Chevy touring.

[​IMG]

This piece was done with a Cadmium bearing Silver Solder which, because of the Cadmium content, flows really well around the joint on more difficult materials like Steel or Stainless. Cadmium bearing Silver solders have been banned from sale where I live in the UK for several years now, and I am running low despite stocking up before the ban came in.

The Lucas Milhaupt company list a Cadmium bearing Silver solder (Easy-Flow)which is very similar in composition to the British Johnson Matthey stuff now no longer available at home. I have drawn a blank trying to find a US stockist of the Lucas Milhaupt Easy-Flow Silver solder (I'm coming over for the Iola WI show in July so shouldn't need shipping) So, I would appreciate any leads of where I could buy some sticks of this Silver solder while I am in the USA.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions, apologies for this novel length post

loudbang likes this.
  2. Silver solder wire is available, that's what I use. On my car, I moved the oil pan drain and silver soldered the new one in place with a torch, I use Stav-Silv paste flux.

loudbang likes this.
  3. earlymopar

earlymopar

I've done a lot of silver soldering over the years and use it frequently on car related parts. The process was used for decades on bicycle and motorcycle frames. I use the same flux and wire as Bon noted and their are a variety of alloys / ratios available. Mine is old stock and I don't recall where I got it other than a local welding supply shop.

- EM

loudbang likes this.
  4. 57tailgater

57tailgater
    from Georgia

I worked for one company that made hydraulic tube assemblies. One product line used low carbon steel fittings silver soldered to low carbon steel tubing. Slip fit which required no pressing for assembly as compared to copper brazing that requires press fit assembly. These assemblies were used on industrial equipment which were exposed to higher pressures and vibration so I do not see where it could not be a viable solution. As long as you can afford the silver. ;)

loudbang and RICH B like this.

5. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

Won't the Customs people take it at the airport?

[​IMG]

5656 S. Pennsylvania Ave
    Cudahy, WI 53110
    (414) 769-6000

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
    lothiandon1940 likes this.
  6. .............Excellent question.

OLSKOOL57 likes this.
  7. 62rebel

62rebel

Indeed.... if they're well enough versed in what they're supposed to stop you bringing back. Mail it home. Don't chance a Customs Inspector having a bad day at work and just itching to catch someone out.

8. Three Widow's Garage

Three Widow's Garage

HVAC guys use it for the refrigerant lines. Available in different percentages of silver & cost, might be a source of supply.

9. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

Most welding suppliers should be able to get for you. There are multiple manufacturers.

10. Stueeee

Stueeee
    from Kent, UK

Thanks for the replies so far. In an odd British compromise, it's not illegal here to own or use (for your own use only) Silver Solder which contains Cadmium. But it is illegal to sell it.

Various grades of Silver Solder are commonly available in the UK, just not the stuff which contains any Cadmium. Most old-time engineering grade Silver Solders contained a small percentage of Cadmium, if you try a modern Cadmium free product on steel or Stainless I think you will see a marked difference in how the stuff flows around a joint like the one in my photo..

I contacted Lucas Milhaupt 2 days ago by email asking for a stockist of their Easy-Flow Silver Solder in WI (I'll be over for the Iola show) they referred me to two local distributors in Milwaukee who don't stock it. So, the search continues.....

Thanks again to all for your input on this.

lothiandon1940 and dos zetas like this.