Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The Free car build (Inspired by HAMB Andy)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jake_Lancer, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Or if it is going! Sure would be nice to get a report even if there is not much progress being made.

2. Me & you both! HRP

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  3. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

BTTT

(Curious how it's going myself. It's been about a month since Jake last logged on.)

1959Nomad and chryslerfan55 like this.
  4. WTF really

WTF really

Is she running yet?

chryslerfan55 and unclescooby like this.
  5. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

I made some new hot rod friends in St Louis last year and come work on stuff over there occasionally now. Let us know where you are and what is needed.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

porkshop and chryslerfan55 like this.
  6. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

must be some intense eagle practice...

WTF really and chryslerfan55 like this.
  7. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

I would guess that priorities changed in life, and a hemi lost. I don't regret being out of a hemi, but it sucks that I wont get to here it run again. There was a really good story to that hemi.
    Tony

8. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Did some creative googling just now. Jake just graduated from high school, where he played varsity football and wrestled. He is involved as a volunteer in community service. He likely is working a summer job with little time for old car fun, but his facebook page has a picture of his car for the header. He seems like a remarkable, well-rounded young man to me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

I'm still hoping he gets motivated to go to work on it, as it would be sad to let it just sit and not be built with the help of some very generous people that donated to it.

Stogy, porkshop, crminal and 2 others like this.
  10. 51 mercules

51 mercules

Any updates! Maybe Jake should pass it on?

11. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Jake_Lancer was last seen:
    Oct 8, 2019

Hope Jake is doing ok.

chryslerfan55 and 51 mercules like this.
  12. WTF really

WTF really

Yes I would love a update.

51 mercules likes this.
  13. hans mercman

hans mercman
    from Texas

Its been almost 1.5yrs since any update, 2yr since any progress posted.

Yeah, in retrospect maybe there should have been a stipulation 'if project stalled for xxx months with no updates/explanation, free car winner will pass along to next contestant', on the honor system.

I'm not doubting any and all intentions from winner are good. Other priorities, in too deep, or lost of interest, no hard feelings but i say pass it.

14. Hombre

Hombre

This is a sad deal to me. This young man had a pretty good opportunity to build a car with a lot of help from the guys here on the HAMB. If you go back through the threads on this car a lot was offered to get him a good start. The guy I really feel for is Tony ( mcmopar) who not only offered but gave this young man a damn good Hemi core, and that was a great offer and it was accepted.

It also is completely understandable that interest change and young folks move on. After all some folks are Hot Rodders and some folks would like to be and just never make it. I also believe that this engine should move on to some one a little more deserving and willing to do the work to get it up and running. I hope that happens...

15. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

Hombre, im not upset that i gave the motor to a good cause at the time, it just sucks that i have no idea what happened to the motor. Part of him recieving the motor was that it stays with the car and he could mot sell it. I also told him if he decides not to use it i would come pick it up. I am still putting faith in Jake that the motor is going into his car, but a update would cool.

Jake lets hear a update.

Tony

Sent from my SM-G930V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

16. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

Eh, maybe the car is coming along and he just hasn't updated. I messaged Clean Cut Creations as I think he was helping too. I don't think Jake's dad (Sedanman) is on the HAMB anymore. He didn't come up when I typed it in to ask him. Hopefully everything is okay for all of them.

17. Squablow

Squablow

Give the kid a chance. Even if it hasn't seen much progress, we've all had to take a break from projects once in a while to deal with other things, and it's not like the guy's got 30 years of building experience and the free time of a retiree.

Don't be so quick to wrench this car away from him. Even if it did get back-burner'd for a while, it doesn't mean he doesn't appreciate it or want to build it any less.

18. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

About ten years ago, my neighbor's kid was 18 years old. He was getting ready to graduate, go to prom and had already enlisted in the Marines. The day before prom, he and his best friend and his best friends girlfriend stopped by my house to say hi while I was in the driveway working on an old car. They took off super fast and lost control on the country road from our house doing 90MPH. None of them were wearing seatbelts. I heard the crash from my house. I was there when the lifeline helicopter landed in the field to get them.
    A few months later, my neighbor's kid was still in a coma. His body was never going to recover enough to be a Marine. His best friend was dead. He didn't know any of this yet. He was going to wake up some day and someone was going to have to tell him all of this.
    The one thing he did have was an old 70's Dodge 4x4 truck that was a turd at best. But he was proud of that thing and drove the wheels off of it day and night. We decided that one thing we could do for him was to fix that old truck up so that he would at least have one good thing if and when he woke up. We looked it over and finally came to the conclusion that the old girl was worth less than the gas in the tank. The only good part on that truck was the gas cap. So I found one just like it, but in good condition, down in Tennessee and bought it. The whole community got on board and we put a new engine in it, new wheels, new tires, new suspension, new paint, etc... It was very cool. We were going to have a big reveal party for him when he got home. Even the local radio station was on board.
    But he struggled emotionally so badly in the hospital that somebody told him about the truck in hopes of making him feel better. So the surprise was over.
    When he got home, he immediately received an apparently substantial settlement from the insurance company and ordered a brand new max cab Dodge 4x4 and spent another $20k or so modifying it with all the latest goods. The truck we all built for him got pushed into the woods behind his house. I don't think it ever got driven.
    That was a huge slap in the face to everyone involved. It took me a while to get over it too. But what I finally realized was that I was doing good for the wrong reason. I was looking for gratitude. What I initially meant to do is to make life easier for a good kid who was in the midst of the worst time of his life. I wanted to see him happy again and give him hope. And he is. Maybe not the way I thought he'd get there, but should that matter? Should I stop doing nice things for people because I don't get the result I'm looking for? Or should I keep doing it because it's the right thing to do and let everything else work itself out in it's own mysterious ways? I think I'll go with doing what I think is right.
    I don't know what is happening with Jake or this car. I know the at least for a while he was excited and happy and I bet it felt good for him be recognized and cared for. I know he worked on the car and spent good time with his dad and friends. What happened after that? I don't know. But I hope it's all good. I hope he's happy and whether it's a car or something else that gets him there, I'm all for it. He doesn't owe me a thing.
    It would be fun to see him cruising...and it would be neat to see this car back on the road. I hope it has or will happen in the future. But in the grand scheme of things, that's not really what matters most for me.

19. Well spoken Unclescooby!

drdave and arkiehotrods like this.
  20. 6inarow

6inarow

@Squablow and @unclescooby great posts. I never give someone something and say "but if". I give it to them and say have fun with it. To me its not a gift if I say "but if"

21. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Hopefully Jake is doing ok.
    I know my projects tend to take a lot longer than I thought - planned.
    That's why they are called projects....
    It make take years... mine have in the past.
    They are suppose to be enjoyable when time allows in what seems like a everyday very busy world.
    Hope you are doing ok Jake.

drdave, Squablow, slim38 and 3 others like this.
  22. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

I have access to a reasonable amount of funds, a very nice shop and equipment, and can get help from friends any time I need it. I have still spent over 4 years working on my current project.

My 14 year old son has a project in my shop as well and has a very hard time finding time to work on it. He's just busy doing things that 14 year olds do. We'll get there.

@unclescooby ... You are the best kind of fella! thanks for being so understanding.

23. OK. My 1951 Ford two door Custom that I bought off of a fellow HAMBer is still in my garage after the wiring fried. I have bought the new Rebel Wiring harness and started to install it. Started. The metal work on the drivers side is still not finished and the passenger side still to be done. I have been scarce around here for a reason. This young man, an Eagle Scout no doubt has high morals and enough said. My reason is that I am running for a public office and I do not want to advertise it here. It is against the rules. That said, I will get it finished when I have completed my goal. Either I will get the position and finish it when I am done there or when I am knocked out in the upcoming Primary. There are reasons we all get side tracked from our projects, priorities.

24. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey scoob... been a while. Good to see you.

I respectfully disagree that you did it for the wrong reason. I think you did it for the right reason... figuring it was the right thing to do.

When I was young, I saw my father hold the door for for a woman. She walked through without a word. My dad sarcastically exclaimed...
    You're welcome!

Do we help others simply to received accolades? Only the individual knows for sure, but regardless...
    It's a wonderful thing to see our efforts be a benefit to someone and that they appreciate and take the ball and run with it. And it can be frustrating if that doesn't happen.

But as you said...
    Doesn't mean you stop making efforts for people when it seems warranted.

It certainly was warranted for and appreciated by Andy.
    I hope it works out well for Jake.

Sent from my VS835 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

jim snow and chryslerfan55 like this.
  25. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

Let get one thing straight i dont regret giving the motor to Jake, but with all the free parts he got and a car, it would be nice it the stand up Eagle Scout would atleast come on here and update us. I didnt give him the motor to make myself feel better i did it to help a young guy out in the hobby.

I also know that at his age girlfriends happen, then college, then family and a house and everything alse gets put on the back burnner. Next thing ya know the project gets sold or scrapped and no one knows any different. Maybe he should look at the car and make a real decision on it, sometimes plans change and ya dont want what ya have. If he still wants it cool, if not accept it and do a give away to someone else that might want to finish it.

With that said i believe that a update would be the least he could do even if nothing got done. Maybe with updates there might be more parts coming his way or even a helping hand from fellow HAMBERS that still want to help to see this car on the road.

Good luck Jake.

Tony

Sent from my SM-G930V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

26. 51 mercules

51 mercules

Well said!

1959Nomad, chryslerfan55 and Rich B. like this.
  27. WTF really

WTF really

Just checking in to see if any progress has been made.

28. Terrible80

Terrible80

29. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

the disappointing thing is @Jake_Lancer seems to have abandoned the project and his relationships here....the cool thing was how people here pulled together to practically build it for him...only on the HAMB...but I'm out, good luck Jake

30. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

If you all would spend a little time googling Jake, you would find out that he got a football scholarship as an offensive lineman to a college 300 miles from his home. Kinda hard to work on the car from there.
    His car is still front and center on his facebook page. His college as of this week is closed for the remainder of the year, but online classes began Monday. I am guessing he is spending his time doing his schoolwork.
    I am not on facebook so I can't message him but maybe one of you can.