Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Mighty Mo

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Clik, Jan 3, 2010.

1. .........NO NEED TO YELL!!!!!:D

OLSKOOL57 and lothianwilly71 like this.
  2. Clik

Clik

Blasphemy, I tell ya, blasphemy! o_O

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. vettefarm

vettefarm

Hi BOWTIE, I loved your Snow Hill Apts. picture. Is that 13023 Stagecoach Rd in the background? I see that the pic seems to be dated 1970? I lived in Snow Hill '69 - '74 so we may have crossed paths. I had a new '68 Nova 327/325 back then. A lot of military motor heads lived there. I will dig out my photos to post any good ones that I find. Maybe what the Vette looks like today. Hope this reply gets to the Hokey ass Msg Board / Mighty Moe as this is where my "vettefarm" search brought me.

Bowtie Coupe and lothiandon1940 like this.
  4. Hey vettefarm, thanks for posting. Great to see that you spent time in the Hyattsville area and notably working at George's Corvette Shop. There's a large group of Marylanders on here, many of whom post in the Maryland Social Forum sub-forum. Hope you will continue to share your memories (and photos!) of that time in your life....I occasionally see George Reese around locally.................................Don.

5. .................Please do so and thanks.

6. Hi vettefarm! Glad to see you on here. You're taking me back a while, but I believe the address of the building you see over my hood and front wheel is 13015 Old Stagecoach. I'm not sure of the address of the building off to the right. Looking directly at 13015, the top apartment on the right was home to a guy who owned a white, '63 Vette split-window with a red interior. It was originally 340hp, but he was an engineer and had done some mods to the engine increasing the hp. He also parked it in that same lot. I don't see it in the pic anywhere, but I really don't remember when that pic was taken. Again, looking directly at that building, on the left side of that parking lot was a dark green Sunbeam Tiger. I talked to the guy several times, but I didn't know him as well as I did the guy with the '63 Vette. Once more, as you're viewing the pic, behind you and across the street from the parking lot was a very clean '56 Chevy 4dr in dark green and white. It was owned by a guy who was on active duty in the area with Uncle Sam's Canoe Club. I believe his name was Pat, but I don't remember his last name at all. I want to say that he was from CA, but I just don't remember. Looking up the 13015 parking lot and across the street to the '56 Chevy, to the right of that was another apartment court/big parking lot that housed a '65 Pontiac Catalina 2dr hdtp 2+2 that had a 421 and 4spd. It was either dark blue or black. I'm pretty sure it was the dark blue. It was owned by an Air Force guy whose name I can't recall. Those were the notable cars that I remember being in that complex. Yes, the pic is dated Jun '70, but I believe that's the develop date as I was stationed in Pensacola at that time. My brother stored the car for me when I was off with Uncle Sam's Canoe Club. He was married and lived in a house in town. Maybe you remember some of those cars or maybe they show up in some of your pix. As Don said, post 'em up as we'd love to see 'em.

vettefarm and lothiandon1940 like this.
  7. vettefarm

vettefarm

8. vettefarm

vettefarm

Hi Bowtie (and all the other dudes on this "chain" MERRY CHRISTMAS! Well, another rainy day in the N.E. Regarding that excellent pic of Old Stagecoach Rd (and your awesome vette) I did some recon on Google Satellite. It shows 13015 as the "parking lot". I'm quite sure that my apt. is viewable, in the pic, on the second floor in the bldg. to the right (13023). I do recall a guy who stored (I say stored because it never left that spot), what looked like a Sunbeam, in the next parking lot. He called it a Triumph. It was painted British Racing Green and was definitely a race car w/ roll cage, aluminum V8, Webbers etc. He said his Father acquired some cars and parts from a team, in the UK, going out of business. Also spoke once to an AF officer who lived in the apts. behind yours. He was complaining that his white 427 Cobra, that he had up for sale, had a dent in it and that no one would give him his $4000 asking price, Some people! There were characters aplenty in those days. Great time in my life though, after the Army. I worked for Snow Hill cleaning the trash rooms (YUK), cutting grass, fixing leaking faucet valves etc.in between going to PGCC and U of M. Do you recall that Pizza and beer place on Rt.1 in Laurel? It was a SING-A-LONG place and one night each week a, rather short Af-Am fella (Bob? )would perform on a piano under a large screen which displayed song lyrics with a "bouncing ball" for the patrons to sing along to. I swear that he knew every song requested. I believe it was called the Italian Village. 'Nuff' for now. Happy New Year to all! .

9. Hey Vettefarm, I'm not sure if we're talking about the same car that was parked on the left side of that big parking lot or not. That Sunbeam was British Racing Green and it rarely moved, which is why I didn't talk to the owner very much. Yet, it was very ordinary looking, such as any 4cyl British sports car. If you didn't know what you were looking at, you'd never guess it was a high performance car. Maybe after I left, he finally did something with it. I dunno. My apt was in the back of that building so you cud see those other apts and their parking lot real well. I don't remember any white Cobra back there, but that was a long time ago and maybe I just don't remember it. Cobras were not on my good list. I used to go with the guy who had the white '63 Split window up to Summit Point (?) to the road races. It was disturbing to see so many Vettes getting beat by Cobras. I was a drag racer and not many Cobras were involved in that. The ones that were cud be beaten in the 1/4 mile. That was more to my liking!:) Think of all those fools who didn't shell out $4k for that car becuz of a dent in it. I bet they have a few dents in themselves where they have been kicking themselves!!!:D We must have been following the same path. I went to PGCC for a couple semesters, but I was tired of school and wanted to get out in the world and do something. So I enlisted. After my hitch in the Navy was up, I was working a full-time job, a part-time job, and I went back to school full-time and graduated from U of M. During that period, I didn't have much time for playing with cars. I made up for it later, though. Is the Pizza and Beer place you're talking about at the intersection of Rt 198 west and Rt 1 north? That location has been several different eating establishments. Around that time, I believe it might have been the "Village Inn." The pizza place that I frequented was about a block south of that and located on Rt 198 east just before the Esso station on the corner at Rt 1 South. It was the "Pizza Hut" I believe for a long time and then it became Apple's Pie when Mort Apple, who was a Laurel P.D. officer, bought it. I don't know what it is today. I rarely go to Laurel anymore and I never go down 197 past the old apt's. Lotsa crime in PG Co. these days. Laurel's not the friendly little town it was. Too many people, too much traffic, and they're all in a hurry to go nowhere. A belated Merry Christmas to you and have a safe and Happy New Year!

Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
  10. Great stuff. Keep the stories coming, guys.:D

OLSKOOL57 and lothianwilly71 like this.
  11. vettefarm

vettefarm

Hi BOWTIE! Well you hit the nail on the head about the "VILLAGE INN". You must have an Elephant's memory.
    Rt198 runs to Ft.Meade (my old duty station). You are correct about traffic in that Laurel/College Park/Hyattsville/Landover area. Even back then I scouted all the back roads (no GOOGLE MAPS in that era). I recall my path to PGCC was out of Snow Hill to BrockBridge Rd or 197 (Laurel/Bowie Rd) and wind up just down the street from PGCC. When I visited DC for the 30th Anniversary of the wall I drove thru Snow Hill and Laurel on my way back to Jersey. The roads were the same but man EVERYTHING ELSE was different. I see that besides your reply showing up in the thread I also received an email (very convenient). How is that done? Please forgive. 50+ yars of programming and I am still a dunce at navigating forums. I wonder what kind of mess I can make of the Classifieds. LOL TO EVERYONE SIGNED ONTO THIS THREAD, HAVE A GREAT NEW YEAR AND HOLD ON TIGHT! ….VETTEFARM

12. ............You'll find that the more time that you spend on here, the easier it will become. There are a lot of little nuances built into this site and it takes time to discover them all............Don.:D

lothianwilly71 and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  13. .........Yes, you get an e-mail indicating that you have gotten a PM (Private Message), also referred to as a Conversation, from someone. You may be a able to disable that function in your settings, not sure, or if need be, I think you can set it so certain individuals are blocked.........Don.

lothianwilly71 and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  14. I believe you also get an email whenever there is a new post to a thread to which you clicked on "Watch Thread."

15. X-cpe

X-cpe

The 1971 NASCAR record book and press guide lists a John "Marty" Hanbary of Accokeek, MD as finishing 9th in points at both Beltsville Speedway and Old Dominion Speedway in 1970.

16. Clik

Clik

Queenstown Mighty Mo.jpg Found this on NW Alumni FB page:

17. Clik

Clik

Mighty Mo Queenstown Sportster.jpg This one has been posted before but we lost many pics due to Photo Bucket.

18. Never thought about checking for Northwestern H.S. Alumni page. Excellent!

OLSKOOL57 and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  19. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

68 Camero and an Iron Head Sporster , it was a time in life when the only thing from Japan was drying agent for you paint !

20. .................and all of those little tin toys made from our own discarded Budweiser cans!:eek:

OLSKOOL57 and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  21. ......................Now saved and featured in Rodder's Journal!

22. Was also on display inside at the 2019 Jalopyrama for all to see this outstanding piece of MD hot rod history!:cool::cool::)

chryslerfan55 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  23. Posted by Keepat, the new owner, and the one responsible for saving it..... 611C6F2C-8F1E-4450-AAD6-0D1A65C2F2C5.jpeg

Bowtie Coupe and chryslerfan55 like this.
  24. Clik

Clik

speedage-1952-03.jpg

Speed Age was published in Hyattsville, MD

lothiandon1940 and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  25. Clik

Clik

26. Clik

Clik

I used to drool over that car as I passed it walking home from elementary school regularly. It's really weird and ghostly to see it pictured all these years later. That would have been sometime between about 1960 and 1966.