Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Rod & Custom Magazine, Hiboy - Bud Bryan , Julian Alvarez - LARS 2019

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pete Eastwood, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

The Bud Bryan / Julian Alvarez, Rod & Custom magazine, Hiboy will be at the LARS this weekend. It will be for sale.
    It was dropped off at my place today, & I will be transporting it to the swap meet.

R&C hiboy 1.jpg R&C hiboy 2.jpg

Greg Stokes, Tim, willysguy and 19 others like this.
  2. catdad49

catdad49

Pete, are you going to take it for a test drive? Just in case someone asks your opinion. A Classic Beauty!

3. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

The proper gent to deliver such precious metal. You go 'way back with this one, for sure.
    Sure miss Julian...a professional in every sense, nice guy.

4. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

I just did, & it has one ground pounding, Art Chrisman Flathead !!!!

5. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Bud Bryan, now in Nor-Cal SAM_8236.JPG SAM_8231.JPG

6. Man, last time I saw Bryan was in the 80's, time has caught up with both of us. HRP

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  7. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Good grief...I still look like a kid. Better get with it...catch up... Naaaah...

kidcampbell71 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  8. 31Apickup

31Apickup

Such a cool car, have all of the issues from Rod & Custom of the build. Curious on the asking price.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Stogy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  9. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

79D6FE21-0BC7-42A8-9843-88F8F2BB3528.jpeg CC3B0E62-0CAF-4F5A-9384-5178CFA1EDCC.jpeg
    (This is the Bud Bryan Roadster being color sanded)
    We need to give s shout out to these two guys, one of them is Jim Caulfield and the other was his then 15-16 yr old son Dale who went on to squirt color on 3 of the most famous model 40 coupes known to us enthusiasts.
    Many give credit to Sam Foose for doing this body build, when in fact Jim and Dale built this body out of parts that Bud dropped off at Caulfield Automotive in Temple City.
    Since Dale is a HAMBer “Weedburner 40”, Let’s give him a shout out as well for their part in building such an iconic 29 that continues to set the bar for many “29 A V8’s” that have been since it’s inception as a cool idea by a magazine editor that allowed many of us to spend a moment in the garage alongside with them reading about many of their exploits. ;).
    Thanx Pete & John (Carambia) for continuing the ride.
    We miss our Outrider Brother Jules many times a day,
    Wishing that it finds a fantastic caretaker.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  10. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Still miss Bud Bryan's writings. Was some of the best. His '29 hiboy was, imo, the nicest example of an early hotrod.
    Think it'll be a long time before we see &/or experience writers like Bud Bryan, Tom Senter, LeRoy Smith, Tom Medly & a few others. ;( . In case Bud reads this... Thanks from someone you never met. ;) .
    Marcus...

Outback, Hamtown Al, Reds 29 and 5 others like this.
  11. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Damn those are inspiring pics and history...Thanks Kevin and a shout out to @Pete Eastwood and the others making this thread Golden...Lets see some more historic pics of this Hotrods Heyday...to get the Iwant it juices flowing...

I'm not sure whose Hotrod this actually is but it's gotta be like letting go of a special part of your heart.​

26hotrod and Cyclone Kevin like this.
  12. Me and you both! HRP

48fordnut likes this.
  13. Bud's still doing a little freelancing. I had the pleasure of working with him on a feature for Hop Up that I shot and we have another one in the works.

14. Julian's nephew worked for me for years and although I didn't know Jules that well, whenever he saw me at a show or the picnic, he always remembered me like an old friend. The R & C quarterly I have has been read many times, what a great car. I think a car to base all others off of....

kidcampbell71, Malcolm and Stogy like this.
  15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow, what a great car that many of us have followed over the years.

16. KKrod

KKrod

I always loved this car. Any updates?

Stogy likes this.
  17. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Bud's car was an inspiration for me when it was being built and I kept every issue of R&C with the build. Still a good reference for a traditional ride. I was honored by Bud when he chose me to build the chassis for his latest ride a 29 roadster pu. He still calls from time to time to shoot the bull about hot rods. I also was fortunate to know Julian, we did a few parts trades over the years and I always enjoyed seeing him at the LARS every year.

18. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Enjoyed our first cross country adventure with Bud & Tom Medley to the NSRA Nats in 1972 to Detroit. Detroit Nats 1972 with Bud Bryan & Tom Medley.jpg

19. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

I just glanced at title.Thought R/C is coming back!!!!!! RATS...........wait thats another thread.
    Cool car.How cool would that be, have that car dropped off.

49ratfink likes this.
  20. Thanks to Bud Bryan and R&C, that's the car that started me on my roadster odyssey.
    Unfortunately, I veered off course with a 31 body and SBC.
    His is timeless, and mine has become dated. Think continuously about a do-over. Maybe I can live long enough.

48fordnut and Cyclone Kevin like this.
  21. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

hrA come on down to Ga and help me. I can use all the help and inspiration I can get.

jim