Register now to get rid of these ads!

History My 40 Ford & It's story!

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Dads40, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Dads40

Dads40

First post here, so I'll say thanks ahead of time for allowing me to join and post some jibberish. Bigger thanks to those who read it!

As a kid my father had some cars and my parents would take me to shows.
    My parents split up in late 80s and were in midst of finding a new rod, so that went out the window.
    Years past and dad started back over with some muscle cars and decided it was time for a street rod.
    He chose a 40 Sedan, and in 92, he purchased one to build. Being dad wasn't a wrencher, he was having it done. He chose a guy in Michigan who had built a 50 Merc that won a Ridler award at Autorama. We got the car to him, and was the one who did a lot of the stripping of parts. I was 18, and knew how to take stuff apart. Not sure if me doing it was to help save some labor fees, or get process moving, either way, I had hands on car and took stuff apart.
    Dad decided on 350 Chevy for the powerplant. Had a Michigan guy build it, and was built to 350 hp.
    Builder doing car was working the frame, gathering parts and such. His progress slowed down..he was in middle of an ugly divorce and couldn't put many hours into the car. A couple years pass and work has stalled and dad received updates, but nothing much had been done beyond the frame.
    So finally after him having the car for 5 years, dad pulled plug and took it to someone else. New guy was a body and paint guy, but was gonna do all the assembly.
    I went with dad often to check on progress, drop off parts or money in most cases.
    Work was moving along, dad decided the car would be purple.
    From 97 to spring of 99 the new guy had busted his tail and had his work done. I went with dad in May of 99, we rolled it out and onto a trailer to take to exhaust shop.
    Few days later dad was driving it with just the driver's seat for it's interior.
    He showed and cruised it that summer and dropped it off to a upholstery shop for winter to have interior done. By spring of 2000, the car was completed.

My wife and I went to shows every weekend with him for first couple years. He drove it any chance he could. He had a room full of awards and started donating old trophies, just to save space.
    He cruised it down to gulf coast from Michigan for Cruising The Coast. By 2006 he had his fun. In 2007 he went through a bunch of problems and car sat for most of next 5 years. In 2012-2013 his life was semi normal again, but he didn't drive it like he had.

In early part of 2016 he was diagnosed stage 4 cancer and wouldn't be around much longer. Car sat for most that summer and his health was failing quickly. Summer of 2017 he let me take for a day to a family reunion and was first time it had been moved in almost a year. February of 18, he lost his battle and we lost him.

I have two siblings, to them it was just dad's car..to me, it was much more.
    After a year of battles and the estate finally being settled, I brought his 40 home to my place 20 years to the date that we rolled it out of the shop and onto a trailer. Maybe fate, maybe just good timing.

I figured he drove it often it's first 5 years, then sat for 5, then off and on next 5 and rarely the last 5 years of him having it.
    He managed to put 25,000 miles on it, so it wasn't a trailer queen.

It's not the nicest 40 out there, but it's not a dog either.

I've had it now for two weeks and I've had to do some much needed maintenance and catch up.

Had leaky valve gaskets that even after replacing, still leaked, so new covers went on and no more leak. Thermostat gasket leaked. Latches and what not needed oiled.
    The timing was so far advanced that after driving it, it barely would turn over without bumping it couple times..I'd thought just starter over heating, but after yesterday spent on timing and carb adjustments, I believe starter is fine and was just the timing. For years it had a squeak in a belt or pulley when starting, but would go away soon after it ran. Yesterday the power steering belt blew off and squeak is gone. As soon as new one is on, I'll know if it's just belt or if it's a pulley, but damn it squeaked like that for years for dad.
    I have a slap in a front tire, probably needs new rubber, and picked up a flat spot from sitting. That's the next fix, but beyond that, I think I'm ok for a while.
    Thanks for letting me vent and share my story.

Now that I've done bored anyone who stuck around to read the babble, I'll post some pics and specs.

2. Dads40

Dads40

I have a whole binder of pics of the build, maybe I'll get some of them up in near future.

1940 Ford Sedan.
    Motor 350 Chevy, cam, dart heads, eddlebrock top half and 350 hp.
    Mustang ll front end. Chevy rear with 400 trans.
    Color is a Ford color, 96-99 Thistle Purple..looks far different on a mini van lol
    Leather interior, egg shell color with purple accents. Vintage air, I-didit column and vdo guages.

She was shaved, inside and out. Key fob from outside and buttons under dash on inside.
    It's a typical street rod, and typical driver.
    After 20 years and 25,000 miles she still shines like day one.

The credit for the look goes to the painter, it's thick, smooth and probably more layers of clear than you can count on one hand.

Here she is!

3. williebill

williebill

Thanks for posting your story. Glad you kept it, sorry you lost your dad.

loudbang and Dads40 like this.
  4. Dads40

Dads40

4365.jpeg

Attached Files:

5. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Boo-YA dude! Totally bangin and hella cool! :cool: (that's all the 90's stuff I got... nice car though)

loudbang, Dads40 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  6. 911 steve

911 steve
    from nebraska

put in a backup system for the door openers, I speak from experience...I had a chopped 54 Chev sedan delivery set up the same way. 150 miles from home at a car show, I couldnt get out cuz the electrical system went dead while driving there, had to climb over the seat & out the back door til I could jump it lake1.jpg

Dads40 likes this.
  7. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Did you build this? I saw it a few years ago for sale and hadn’t ever seen it around before then.

Also to the original posted, cool 40! Have fun with it

Dads40 likes this.
  8. Dads40

Dads40

Thanks Steve. Nice ride. Sorry you said "had".
    Car has a button hidden under frame to allow access from outside if keys are locked in. As for inside, I am clueless lol
    I actually had a blown fuse already and could not get out but luckily window was open.
    When built he placed emergency switch under frame, which does work, but only driver door. Battery is in trunk and they put jumpers underneath frame as well.

I'll definitely be thinking about how to get a release on inside.

catdad49 likes this.
  9. 19Fordy

19Fordy

A wonderful, inspiring story and nice tribute to your dad.
    Keep that 40 "on the road' for all to see and enjoy.

10. catdad49

catdad49

Looks like she has held up well. Sorry you had to lose Dad, but he's probably smiling every the '40 hits the road. Drive on!

lothiandon1940, OLSKOOL57 and Dads40 like this.
  11. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Man it know it’s cool as is is but some lancer hubcaps with white walls would be so rad when those black walls get worn down 9FE9B8E9-4C06-480F-8FA3-EDF81FC1313A.png

I wonder if you could just put a stock inside door handle back in?

12. Dads40

Dads40

I already have friends bugging me about old school wheels. I figure since I have a slap in wheel that I'd be replacing them. Thinking about letting new tire select what kind of rim it wants to be on..

Windows aren't as wide as the Mopar glass that those Duke's made look sliding through so easy.

13. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dads40,

Welcome to the HAMB. I am sorry to hear that you lost your dad - I know the pain of having that happen, but it is cool that you have his car and all of the memories that come with it. In some ways he is still with you.

I would encourage you to go back and finish filling out your profile with your general location so we know roughly where you are located.

Steve

Dads40 likes this.
  14. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Yes condolences. You have so much of your Dad still with you. Memories, good times and the car that you two shared from the start.

Dads40 likes this.
  15. Dads40

Dads40

Thanks fellas. Been a long year but I know he's watching me.

I'm in the mitten state lol

I'll finish up my profile and try to navigate around the site and take in all the knowledge you guys have.
    Thanks for the warm welcome and the condolences. Much appreciated.

loudbang, catdad49 and Thor1 like this.