Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Has anyone had experience Importing a 55 Chevy into Australia?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jasper6120, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Jasper6120

Jasper6120
    from Australia

Hey all

I'm going to be spending some time in the States in 2020. While I'm there I'm pretty interested in buying a clapped out 55 Chevy Bel Air to get on the road. If I move back to NSW Australia there's a good chance I'd wanna bring said 55 Chevy with me. I got a few questions about what kind of upgrades I might be able to get away with in terms of NSW legalities.

Basically I'd want a pretty stock 55, but with a few key mods for driveability and stance. I'd like the car to be a daily driver. The mods I'd like to do are:

Later 283 or 327 (with roller cam, roller rockers, flowy heads, electronic ignition and possibly EFI)
    Later gearbox - either a T5 or an auto perhaps say a T700
    Air conditioning unit
    Stereo
    500 series power steering upgrade with a collapsible steering column
    New upper A arms with 5 degree caster built in (better fit for power steering)
    2" dropped spindles
    2" dropped rear leaves
    Front discs
    Cragar style wheels. Possibly 16" or 17"
    Retractable seat belts

Now, I figure some of this stuff I wont get away with. I believe discs, spindles, new upper A arms and Cragars could all be no-no's. But I'd like a fresh motor and trans, and if I gotta unbolt and retrofit some stuff then, that's what I'd do. If anyone's got experience I'd love to hear it. There's this thing called a Pre 1989 import rule (https://www.infrastructure.gov.au/vehicles/imports/import_options/pre1989scheme.aspx ) but in typical Australian fashion it is vague and open to interpretation.

Whatta you recon guys? And thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  2. morac41

morac41

Make sure its got a clear title and not stolen..there are people there who can check this... or you could have it confiscated at the docks in US ..50s chev recently showed up it had been stolen 20 odd years ago and had to be returned to original owner....30k out of pocket
    2" droped spindals wont comply with ADR's

3. tub1

tub1
    from tasmania

Buy one already hear they are about no hastles with importation then

4. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

You’ll need an asbestos free cert. go to the infrastructure page for latest info. Modified parts in boot ok, fitted may not be ok for import, there is something about must be stock or near to it , go to the same site to confirm. Don’t try and interpret it your self ask specific questions via email.

5. Jasper6120

Jasper6120
    from Australia

I could buy one here but you really pay a premium in Australia. Besides I would actually be driving in America, so may as. I also had half a mind to buy some dropped spindles from Australia that pass NSW rules. That’s a curve ball..

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

So if you import the car and install the dropped spindles etc. after the fact , Would the local police etc. be able to spot such mods? Just curious never been down under but would love to visit:cool:

7. Jasper6120

Jasper6120
    from Australia

The local fuzz wouldn’t be able to tell a dang thing. You could put a 383 stroker in and tell them it’s stock. The import laws are prohibitive in the fact that things that actually make the car safer and better to drive can get your import approval denied. If it’s a big no to things like a a crate motor instead of a 265, and no aftermarket A arms with better geo( even if they look NOS) no dropped spindles etc I guess I’d just have to do those mods over in the States, so I have a nice driving rig there and, should I chose to come back to Australia with it, I’ll just have to rip all that stuff out and go stock. At least it’s nuts and bolts, but still a heck of a lot of messing around.

lumpy 63 likes this.
  8. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

When I was selling my 57 Chevy PU a couple of years ago , There was a nice couple from Australia who loved the truck and really wanted to buy it. I showed them the truck from top to bottom and explained to them that the front end was clipped with a 72 Chevelle clip,I had done it myself years earlier fully boxed ,clean welds, powder coated . Truck drove like a dream. At that point they said frame clips were a no go in Aus. You could see they were truly bummed:(

9. Jasper6120

Jasper6120
    from Australia

Yeah man. Clips are a big old no over here. Mind you - you can do one here and get it engineer approved if it’s done right