Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Pulling a 460/C6 today (I hope)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 62rebel, Jun 8, 2019.

1. 62rebel

62rebel

The O/T rv I bought turned out to be a turd with the exception of the drivetrain. Braving the heat and humidity to hopefully get it completely out and the hulk gone. Crossed fingers and lots of ice tea

2. 62rebel

62rebel

12 hours later and the 460 is still in that GD turd. I've even cut the middle of the core support out. I managed to maintain a calm demeanor for about eight hours and then I got shitting. First thing in the morning is a trip to home Depot for some good sawzall blades. Next thing tonight is a long hot shower.

Deuces and scotty t like this.
  3. evintho

evintho

Gotta see pics!

Deuces likes this.
  4. Better go to Lowes,depot doesn't sell Lenox blades-they are the best!

Deuces and Truckdoctor Andy like this.

5. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Diablo blades are what you really want.

fauj and Deuces like this.
  6. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Grab a buddy or two.

Deuces likes this.
  7. 62rebel

62rebel

No buddies around here, just me. Another couple of hours and it's out on the ground. Milwaukee blades are what I buy. Cut the floor back about two feet and lopped off the exhaust pipe close to the manifold each side. Bent the transmission fill tube by accident. How in the hell Ford got that enormous sumbitch in there in the first place is a mystery to me.

Deuces likes this.
  8. 62rebel

62rebel

BTW, never buy an RV based on the seller's description alone. The only thing that turned out to work was the microwave. At least the engine and transmission are worth what I paid for the RV.

Deuces likes this.
  9. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I pulled the 460 out of my E350 based RV a few years ago. Had to raise the front end up in order to get the cherry picker under the cowl, then only had enough clearance to pick up the engine off the mounts and drag it out. I left the transmission hanging by a rope or wire or something. I also left the manifolds in the RV, still attached to the pipes. Replaced it with another 460, had to reverse the process.

I think they must put the powertrain in the frame, then lower the cab down on it. Doubt they put them in the way mine had to come out.

What's the plan for the 460, putting it in your Galaxie?

10. Must be a lot drier in Charleston, it's been stormy here in the upstate. HRP

Deuces and deathrowdave like this.
  11. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

@BamaMav: You are right, there are many illustrations, picture archives, etc. that prove this, a long established practice amongst 'Chassis Purveyors'..."Chassis" was a 6 or 10 wheel 'platform' from the branch specified, engine, running gear already installed.
    Winnebago and the rest simply placed 'housecar' body atop, with their own dash cover, usually with MFR's gauges, switches, etc.

Did the Ford 460 RVs have the compression drop and smog-suffocated heads that the MoPars had?
    Some buds bought old RVs for 440 wedge mills...OOHAH!!! Then tore apart on engine stand..."Hey! This isn't like my Charger..."
    My '75 460 is out of an LTD wagon, (cam timing 4* away, 'smog trick'...)
    I found some D0VE heads, (1970) and cammed it way up...changed pistons, bore was still cross hatched, no taper. Intakes are limited, but costly.
    ("Not cheap, thank goodness!") I said this to a Chevy guy that dropped by, he gave me a confused look...Big block guy, too. Most of them are 'witty'.)
    Stroker crank really wakes these 385 series up...

Deuces likes this.
  12. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Got somethin to put it in already?

Deuces likes this.
  13. 62rebel

62rebel

It might end up in the 63 but I dont really have a plan for it yet. They retarded the timing to smog it down; funny thing is the big Holley 4v carb on it.... most of them had quadrajets from what I've read. And, Ford made different intakes for all the carbs they used. I might build a running stand for it so I can work on de-smogging it and getting the timing set correctly before installing it in anything.

Deuces likes this.
  14. 73RR

73RR

Pull the pan and have a good look around. It might even be worthwhile to do a valve job while everything is easy to work on.

Deuces likes this.
  15. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Mine had that Ford/Holley on it, has a Summit carb now. Pretty good carbs, I used my original on a 302, fed it fine. I changed to the Summit carb when I switched engines, the old engine always had a sluggishness to it, and would backfire like it was lean. I think it was the timing chain was worn out, it dropped a valve anyway and screwed up the block so I had to replace it anyway.

16. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

385 series engines , were noted for weak valves . Add new springs with new cam and beware . I had a couple through the years drop a valve. I was too dumb and young to determine what had happened . The snap off midway up the stem . New valves , non emissions cam , better pistons , carb and intake and your looking at a power monster , and yes as good as BBChebbie . I have owned 2 SCJ 429 , bad to the bone engines , largest non Hemi valves and ports I have seen on any production engine ever .

Deuces and loudbang like this.
  17. 62rebel

62rebel

My pickup will certainly be happier without that 1000 lb monster in the back. Too heavy for the Galaxie unless I add better brakes, heavier front springs and power steering. Every 429/460 I've had was a tough mother, even the one 429 with bad oil rings and no valve stem seals. Drank oil and fouled plugs, but hauled ass. Best ones were two Lincolns, both 4v's, that would deliver 16-18mpg if you kept your foot out of the secondaries.

Deuces likes this.
  18. 62rebel

62rebel

Been mulling it over and I think I will build it to put it in the 63 Galaxie. Wishing now I'd kept the column out of the RV to use. Got to get oil pan, etc to make it fit.

19. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

Maybe some information here to help you:
    http://reincarnation-automotive.com/
    I've got a couple of 460's I'm holding for a future project. I hope you post a build thread on yours.
    Good Luck

Deuces likes this.
  20. yesterday I moved two 460 core engines from under my canopy one is taken apart. I was amazed to see how thin the rod caps are. and yes those ports are huge. I don't need or want them. gonna take pictures and list them for sale on the facebook marketplace. $100 for everything I ought to sell them quick

Deuces likes this.
  21. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

You might check to see if you have the D0VE heads, worth a little more to the right buyer. Good Luck

Deuces likes this.
  22. D4AE
    D3VE-821 heads. I even have TWO C6 transmissions for a 460.

Deuces likes this.
  23. RmK57

RmK57

If you replace the timing chain and gears get the early (pre 72 style) and install it straight up.
    A quick 20 hp right there.

24. 62rebel

62rebel

Been checking part numbers and they show the same one up through '78 in the LTD.... maybe 90% of the 460 equipped LTD's were cop cars...... they don't show the same set past '74 for any other model it seems

25. 62rebel

62rebel

Been backdating the 460 slowly over the past few weeks and made a goober mistake by assuming the 85 used the same oil pump as a 72 (the year I'm using for parts) and, of course, it's not.... ah well it's only a slight setback. Was so happy to see clean metal inside the engine, though, no sludge or crud. Replaced the timing set although I don't think it was worn, but it did have nylon gears and I would rather not wait for 35 year old nylon to shatter.... it's gone from 80's gray to "old Ford blue".... removed as many unnecessary things as possible, and working on a shift assembly to hook up to the old column shift. That's a boggle right now.

Deuces likes this.
  26. 62rebel

62rebel

Okay, need some knowledge on making shit work. I have a three speed column shift setup in the car; I've been trying to work out a way to use one of the shift levers to control the C6. I've got a fairly long shaft to work with IF I have the room once I get the 460 in place. I've also been trying to recall how similar F100 columns might be if I can find one from an automatic trans truck. Kicking myself for letting the factory setup go with the hulk of the RV. Show me some solutions to this problem that don't involve my wallet, please....

27. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

When I got my Lincoln, they had used the R-1 linkage to the Turbo 350 using the stock rod to a home made bell crank. The only way to know what gear you were in was ti count and fell as you shifted out of park toward drive. It was also easy to knock out of gear, I accidently went from D to R while turning one day. Needless to say, it was a shock! Luckily I was going pretty slow, so I didn't hit anything or damage anything, it just killed the engine.

28. 62rebel

62rebel

There are a couple of mounting bosses with bolts in them a few inches forward and rising up from the actual shift lever; I measured them and one is one inch further away from the bell housing. I have a bunch of 1/8 x 1" steel strap to make levers from, and have them swing the same radius as the main shift lever and, hopefully, one of the shift levers from the column. Yeah, Ford was infamous for weak detents on the auto boxes....