Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Searching for a hot rod color

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 32cruisin, Jun 9, 2019.

1. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Jeep Toyota and a few others have some pretty traditional solid non metallic colors now when you search though their colors. No fancy mix and no color match issues later. Some of them look straight out of the 30's color charts.

alchemy likes this.
  2. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

completely depends on what era youre replicating, mid 50s hot rod, solids, maybe candy apple, 60s? 70s? metal flakes. pearls. 2 tone, scallops etc

Just Gary likes this.
  3. alchemy

alchemy

Yep, I like some of those new Jeep and Toy colors too. They are very classic. If that is what you like it should be very easy to have it mixed up now, and matched up later.

4. Dangerous Dan

Dangerous Dan

You might change your mind on your color you pick when the paint store tells you the price for everything they say you will need, I did when they got over 1k for a gallon and all the crap needed to spray white. Just sayin.

5. A Boner

A Boner

Gloss black or gloss maroon. SINGLE stage, non-metallic.
    image.png

ct1932ford and hfh like this.
  6. KKrod

KKrod

Go bold. Go with a Freuhauf orange.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
    a boner and Just Gary like this.
  7. clem

clem

8. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,
    Hot rod colors are so varied and the reason behind it has many values. Your grey color looks cool, keep cleaner than most colors, and fits the tone of a hot rod. (Not too outlandish or way out there.) The hot rod itself, the sound, the look and style will be the things that draw attention to your build. If it is attention you or any one wants, drive a red car.

We had two red 1940 Ford Sedan Deliveries, a 1965 red El Camino and that was just a little over the top, thinking about it. But, the first red sedan delivery (racer orange, midnight screw up by a teen builder) was needed so that I could be noticed on the surf circuit and at our high school. The second red 40 sedan delivery was so my photo business would have something to advertise and make people notice when cruising around. Oh yeah, that "photo guy with the red sedan delivery…takes great photos and does have custom prints, too."
    upload_2019-6-12_5-23-14.png
    The red 65 El Camino was so I could attract sponsors to complete my desert motorcycle racing escapades. Also, so I could see it among the desert terrain and other pit bikes/cars/trucks spread out over the whole area.

But, one thing made us go neutral or a mix of colors that blend in with other cars/hot rods on the street… the sharp eye of the local police and/or highway patrol. When I was fixing a flat tire on the freeway, the CHP said that don’t turn on your red flashing lights as it draws attention and mistakes from drivers cause more accidents. “Your red El Camino stood out quite well from a long distance…” Well, if THEY could see it from a long distance, that is definitely a “moving ticket” material.

So for the last 30 years, our cars have been in the neutral color scheme, but still holding the classy design of the selected cars. The purchased cars were silver, pearl white, grey-silver, and one year, the only car left, a light beige. That one disappeared anywhere we parked it, forests, beach, roadways, motel parking lots, etc.

Jnaki

So, that color is up to you. You have to decide what you want out of the color, despite the cost, prep, and finish detailing. As you know, we all like black, but that draws dirt like fleas and dogs…and the maintenance is a nightmare, too.

9. 03GMCSonoma

03GMCSonoma

What is the official color of your Camino? I'm looking for a color for my A. It's hard to settle on one by looking at vehicles on line. No vehicles look alike with, supposedly, the same color. Your Camino looks good.

10. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

The Shift Wizard likes this.
  11. Deuces

Deuces

:rolleyes::D:cool: