Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Thieves target the Power Tour

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Jun 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. To all the keyboard warriors
    All this “deadly force” talk is great material for a prosecutor to fight a non premeditation, self defense plea or even a temporary insanity defense.

Just saying

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
    seabeecmc, F-ONE and TrailerTrashToo like this.
  2. Deuces

Deuces

The way I see it... You steal, you deserve to get shot in the ass!

OLSKOOL57 likes this.
  3. Not arguing
    Just stating a fact
    Laws also protect the guilty sometimes

And yes, thieves suck

Deuces likes this.
  4. Deuces

Deuces

Yeah, they do... I had an o/t '74 Nova with a 400 sbc stolen from me back in 1980... Still burns me up when I think about it.... :mad::(

OLSKOOL57 likes this.
  5. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Years ago about 1960 a friend stopped a thief with a wrecker.Used an M1 Garand.Not against the driver though.It`s just amazing what 8 rounds of GI AP will do to an engine block.Driver was held in the cab until the sheriff himself arrived.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

tractorguy, Deuces and 03GMCSonoma like this.
  6. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Worked great at Altamont until an innocent guy was brutally killed. I hope you meant this as a kind of joke otherwise it's totally irresponsible.

OLSKOOL57, Deuces and gimpyshotrods like this.
  7. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

That was heavy, man.

8. 03GMCSonoma

03GMCSonoma

Try VA to get a non-resident concealed carry.

Deuces likes this.
  9. 03GMCSonoma

03GMCSonoma

I agree with you. I would assume in most states you must feel your life is in danger before you can use deadly force. One must be careful if the person turns his back. Then you are no longer in danger as he is leaving so you can't shoot him in the back. My opinion - if you are in a position where your live is threatened, shoot to kill, not wound. He can't make up a BS story for authorities if he's dead. If some ever asked me why I shot him 15 times I would answer that my clip was empty.

mgtstumpy and Deuces like this.
  10. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Here's a little tidbit about Ubers. After having the previously mentioned pickup and stuff stolen, she called for an Uber the next day to get to the airport. It was a red SUV supposed to pick her up. TWO showed up, the first one opened his hatch before she could get the tag number. He grabbed her bags and started putting them inside.My son in law Jeff said hold on, and grabbed the hatch to look at the tag. The guy grabbed the hatch like he didn't want him to look at the tag. And the so-called Uber driver said, are you Jessica? My daughter said NO. My daughter grabbed her stuff and put it in the SECOND SUV with the correct tag number! They took off for the airport. Her real Uber driver said, who was that other car? No one knows. So was that part of the thief ring that stole their stuff and got ahold of the motel with the info they stole? What was to be her fate? Jeez scarey shit. Lippy

Deuces likes this.
  11. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Well written F-One. In my years trucking, I have become more aware of my surroundings, there are many areas where I will not park in the daylight, much less park and try to sleep at night. I carry that knowledge with me when we do get the chance to go to an out of town event. A little looking around with your eyes open can keep you out of a lot of trouble. There is nowhere 100% safe, not even your home, but being aware of what’s going on around you just might save your stuff and or your life. No perfect way to protect from professional thieves, sometimes they will get you no matter what you do.

OLSKOOL57, Deuces and F-ONE like this.
  12. falconwagon62

falconwagon62

At our Falcon shows, we do lot security, 41 years and counting, never had a issue....maybe they should take matters into thier own hands....

Sent from my SM-G950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Deuces likes this.
  13. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Yeah, that’s my guess. No kill switch is going to stop a repo rig. But a tracker would help alert you that your car is moving, and let you see immediately where it’s going.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Deuces likes this.
  14. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Theft attempt #6 was stopped last night by a couple guys sleeping in their van in the parking lot. Noticed a guy trying to start a GTO. He ran off when confronted.

I’m predicting a spike in active and passive anti thefts next week.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Deuces likes this.
  15. DannyBrent28Sedan

DannyBrent28Sedan

I put a heavy cable lock through the front wheel of my car and wrap it around the axle just so they can't pull it out as easily. I do have a kill switch hidden plus another simple thing to do is to buy a wildlife or game camera that has batteries and a storage device built into it. Set that up in a location that's not too visible and hopefully you'll catch a few photos of the guy stealing the car. It might not get your car back right away but I might help the police.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Deuces likes this.
  16. Richard

Richard
    from Rocklin,CA

17. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

I don't think they file charges for just shooting the tires on get away vehicles.......

Does anyone sell a GPS locator other than the ones for phone aps?

Whatever happened to the old alarm systems that sounded your horn? You remember, the ones that used to go off in parking lots all the time. Anything that makes noise is a good thing.

Deuces and Hnstray like this.
  18. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

I would not enjoy going to jail after shooting someone outside my house, I may get off, but just being incarcerated until I make bail or see a judge makes me think twice. BTW, I have been incarcerated before

Deuces and bobss396 like this.
  19. woodsnwater

woodsnwater
    from North Al.

This thread has been an eye opener. I had no idea things were that bad out there.
    To the guys that have had people try to get in their occupied hotel rooms, what do you think their plan was if they did get in?

Deuces likes this.
  20. customline3859

customline3859

It was truly disheartening to hear about the vehicles being stolen. That was my biggest fear in booking a hotel in that area. The Concord/Charlotte area has some areas that are nice, but it has some areas that are not so nice at all. I wonder if the Power Tour will avoid Concord in the future.

21. R A Wrench

R A Wrench
    from Denver, Co

Several years back, I did the Power tour that started in Lincoln Ne. Did an overnight in St. Louis. On a budget, I stayed at lower $$ motels. This one had some questionable folks in the room above me. Lots of coming & going, seedy looking guys & women. My 34 Ford coupe was parked outside my window. Wheels cranked hard to the side, heavy duty cable locked thru the steering wheel, battery disconnected. Still, I did not get much sleep that night.

mgtstumpy and Deuces like this.
  22. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

According to BangShift, these were all higher end LS swap cars, which are very mass popular, and can be expensive to build. Not HAMB friendly necessarily... but theft-worthy nonetheless.

Deuces likes this.
  23. Yep. I agree
    Parts

Deuces likes this.
  24. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

25. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

Charlotte seems to have a gang problem. looking at the cars stolen I would doubt it was some sophisticated group with $50,000 tow trucks. more likely to be a group of local idiots

Deuces likes this.
  26. Ratatude

Ratatude

I have stayed at both of those hotels multiple years for Goodguys events. The last time I stayed there was a couple of years ago, we noticed that the area had gotten bad. Lot of non car type hanging around the area. That’s the same area where the semi was set on fire with driver in the cabon I 85, during the riots a few years ago. Not being familiar with the area at first glance it looks upscale. Wish the owners good luck in recovering there vehicles.

27. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

You never know who you are commenting too or their experiences......
    One Sunday we got the Call, House Fire....Child trapped.
    We were there in 180 seconds. In three minutes I was there. The fire was way, way ahead of us. I had to drive around a shiny red car parked in the middle of the street. A van in the drive way close to the house was already fully involved in fire . That side of the house showed heavy fire with fire blowing out the window closest to the drive.

They told me where he might be. At that moment, that child became my child.

There may be a chance if he was in indeed in his playpen on the unburned side of the house. The first attempt I made alone.I pulled a line, before I could charge it the radiant heat, burned it in two. The engine was there, we pulled another off the engine and went in. We searched that room. We searched through the play pen and cleared that room. The fire was underneath us in the crawl space and above us as it started coming from the rooms on the burning side of the house. They said he may be in the unburned side.

We did not find him.

I did a dumb thing. I had my gloves in my boot. Gloves come out....feet go in. I left them at the station.
    After we made the rescue attempt on that side of the house, we were both burned.
    The skin was hanging from my left hand. Both of us had second degree burns through our masks and carbon fiber hoods.
    If he would have been in those unburned rooms, where they said he was , we would have got him.
    When we came out more engines arrived and I could,start running the scene...defensively.
    I borrowed and extra pair of gloves to cover up my hand.

The old fire chief got there. I turned it over to him and stArted doing operations which was big lines, lots of water. We now had a measure of control.

30 minutes later I get called to the chief.
    I said.....
    The old chief sent me to the hospital.

I had a third degree on my left hand, likely from the leather cuff on my turnout coat. Ears, nose and cheek....2nd degree burns that for years had a darker color. Thay have all faded away now but I still know it's there.
    My partner had seconds on his legs a little on his face. I took the brunt because I was....towards the heat.

When I left the ER, I went back to the scene. By that time they had found him. The Fire Marshall took me and my partner to him. We said a little prayer over him.

He was 18 months old.

He was found, close to the origin of the fire. That child was gone, before they called us.

Remember the Red Car?.......The red car in the street that partially blocked the road? That car was moved before the fire department was called.

Apparently the family was away from the house.....
    This is what the Dad of the victim said......
    When it comes to a car.....like I said they can have the damn thing.
    When it comes to a living, breathing feeling human I'll lay it down, I'll risk it all just like I have before.

The truth is I was too reckless in that job. What retired me was a busted skull. A juvenile with a baseball bat was approaching a police officer. That officer was scared to death. That kid would not drop the bat. The officer was walking backwards with his pistol drawn.
    I had a window there....
    I come up behind the kid, wrapped him up and pulled him down backwards on top of me.
    His weight plus my weight busted my skull on the street. Spinal fluid and blood ran out my left ear.
    I kept him from being shot.
    6 years later I had to retire. Almost total deafness in my left ear....Poor balance and migraines. I'll have them for the rest of my life.
    Ain't nobody going to take the wife and kids while I'm still breathing.

The above is reality....it's the truth with no bullshit.

28. rgdavid

rgdavid

F one,...Sir, i salute your complete braveness for protecting life,
    Thank you,
    I have tears.

OLSKOOL57, gimpyshotrods and Deuces like this.
  29. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

I posted on this thread for this....

When things go South, they do so rather quickly. You get no second chance.
    You must defend and protect what's important sometimes that means sacrificing what's not.
    Somebody stealing your stuff? If you confront them, they may kill you. You may have to kill them. They may need to eliminate witnesses. You gotta think about all that and choose........
    Wisely.
    They may leave...then again maybe not.....That's when it goes South big time.
    Somebody stealing your car....make sure you and yours are safe. That's all that matters.

chopped and gimpyshotrods like this.
  30. 31Apickup

31Apickup

Cars have been getting stolen for years at car events, street rods mats, Woodward cruise etc, it’s not the local lowlifes it is shady car people who know what the stuff is and know how to move it or part it. Someone stole the display steering boxes right off of Borgeson’s display one night at SEMA in 2017, also had small parts stolen from swap meet spot. Be Leary of the guy you know who always knows of a good deal on desirable stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Nostrebor, 65pacecar and Deuces like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.