Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1935-36 Rear Radius Rods, 8" Rear, 32 Rear Cross - Help?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Bored&Stroked, Jun 11, 2019.

1. Helping a friend with an original 32 roadster - is putting an 8" Ford rear in it for better gear ratios, better brakes, etc.. I'm picking up a set of 35-36 rear radius rods and will obviously weld the necessary hanger brackets to the housing. As I've not done this particular conversion before, was wondering a few things:
    1) Do we use the original spring (curved) or a different rear spring with the original 32 rear cross?
    2) If we go to a 'straight' spring - which one - and is there an issue fitting it into the rear cross and is there a "special spring" that Posies or somebody might have that fits this sort of application. I've heard about folks "grinding the heck" out of springs to fit the 32 rear cross . . . but would surely love to NOT have to do that (if I can help it).
    3) With the correct combination of parts (rear spring) - will the axle centerline be dang close (front to rear) as the original 32? What do I need to know here?
    4) Anything else to be aware of? Things like ride height, rear spring shackles, etc..

I can fabricate just about anything, but it is nice to hear from guys who have done this sort of thing so I don't have to "problem solve" the hard way! Thanks to all who reply!

B&S

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. bct

bct

The grind isnt that bad but I would use the stock curved spring and make up the difference between the 32 and 36 center to center discrepancy with your fabricated brackets.

3. bct

bct

4. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I have used 37-40 front spring, 2" wide and removed 1/4" from the sleeve on the rear arm. Used a So-Cal spring on the last one, it's longer and provided a better ride.

LCGarage likes this.

5. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

Pete & Jake's has all the parts you need for this setup .

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  6. I see that P&J has a straight rear spring - designed for 32-34 cars. I've sent them a request to talk to somebody about the dimensional details involved (width/locations of 35-36 spring hangers, wheel location front to rear, etc). Have you happened to use the straight spring with a stock 32 rear cross before? Is it designed to fit the 32 rear cross without modifications? THANKS!