Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Ford flathead automatic transmission interchange question

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by birdman1, Jun 10, 2019.

1. birdman1

birdman1

have a friend that is putting a 1953 Flathead in a moder t. He wants an automatic transmission. will a transmission from a 1954-1956 ford car fit?

2. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd put in a C-4 with one of the many available adapters. Early Fords were air cooled with some crazy linkage.

Automotive Stud and Hnstray like this.
  3. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You’ll need helper springs on the A to carry the weight of an early Fordo, air or water cooled. The linkage is like jimmy mentioned, unless you’ve got a transmission guy who can work around it. Then they start in 2nd gear unless you manually put them in low. If there’s a valve body to solve that I haven’t seen it.

I’d go look at a 2004R. Fairly small, light, low losses, good ratios and overdrive. Wilcap makes an adapter, but I don’t know what the wait time is.

I know, ford in a ford, but paint it black and no one will notice. I’m mainly a ford Yblock guy, but I’ve used 200R4’s and really like them.

4. C4 great way to go................

Hnstray likes this.

5. The Y block transmission wouldn't bolt up anyway, you'd need one from a flattie.

6. birdman1

birdman1

looks like a c4 would be his best bet, thanks,