Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Route 66, my family, and a 63 wagon

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Driveway builder, Jun 10, 2019.

1. Driveway builder

Driveway builder

60ED9C9A-BDB4-4134-912A-4643B3A0D3D3.jpeg So, about 7 months ago I picked up this all original 78000 mile Rambler Wagon. Keep in mind I’m not a wagon guy, but it was on my bucket list to cross the country in a hot rod or custom. I had to change that idea after being honest to my self that there was no way that I could do that with a wife and three kids. Since I thought just driving our daily would be more comfortable and reliable... but super lame, we bought a wagon. Over the winter I went over the whole thing. Boxed up all the original parts and went with a lot of modern up grades but tried my best to hide everything. The funds were not their to upgrade to a V8 and auto trans. But the six runs like a top and three on the tree should keep me awake. Seems like the Vintage air system doesn’t rob it of too much power either. I’ll be leaving Pa in about a week to California down Route 66... a few days in Disney then back home hitting every site we can. We are figuring a total of 18 days. If this thing makes it... it will be some of the greatest memories with my family. If it doesn’t... I’ll never here the end of it. Lol! Wish me luck! I’ll post up pics as I go. Also, if anyone has done this trip in a old car... any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
  2. Driveway builder

Driveway builder

3. squirrel

squirrel

wow, sounds like fun! Plan the route ahead of time as best you can, although it's tricky figuring out which frontage roads used to be the Mother Road, once you get out west.

my brother and I did it last fall in a 40 Lasalle hearse, it was quite the trip.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  4. Driveway builder

Driveway builder

5. That trip is on our bucket list- I've researched a couple times- enjoy the adventure-

6. Good looking Rambler,and the kids look ready for the road trip.Be safe have fun.

Driveway builder likes this.
  7. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Are we there yet!?

8. lake_harley

lake_harley

Looks cool! No one brought up National Lampoon's "Vacation" yet?

Good looking car and family. Have a safe, wonderful time!!

Lynn

9. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Memories will be made one way or the other, guaranteed. Good luck and have fun.

Woogeroo and Driveway builder like this.
  10. brad2v

brad2v

Enjoy the trip. Every moment. Even the potential breakdowns.

Sent from my SM-G960W using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. Driveway builder

Driveway builder

I know... not one Clark reference yet. Haha

chryslerfan55, OahuEli and scotty t like this.
  12. Moon50F3

Moon50F3

Ok, I’ll do it... this is no longer a vacation, it’s a quest....a quest for fun. We’re gonna have so damn much fun we’ll need plastic surgery to get the smiles off our faces! Let me also say....sorry folks, the park’s closed. Ok I’m done. BTW cool wagon and I dig the Rt66 stuff too.

Hombre, Thor1, chryslerfan55 and 2 others like this.
  13. Good luck on the trip. I hope you and your family make some great memories!

14. Driveway builder

Driveway builder

Bahahaha.. nice!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  15. wicarnut

wicarnut

Good Luck, Have Fun, Enjoy, the Memories Priceless.

16. ...by the time you get back home that wagon will be a part of your family and you can never sell it...good luck to you all.

17. Slopok

Slopok

"She's a beaut Clark"!:D

18. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

Great trip to do with your kids. Soon they will have too many other things going on where you won't be able to fit in the family trip. Been there, done that. Great memories.

Making the trip in an old car just makes it better.

19. 36couper

36couper
    from ontario

I just did a stretch of Route 66. Don't bother with the Cadillac ranch. Boring as hell.
    You have to make a stop in Winslow Arizona and check out the corner with the flat board Ford (from the Eagles Take it Easy)

20. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Pick up a copy of Jerry McClanahan’s EZ 66 guide for travelers,invaluable info.
    Did the route last year in our 40, a great adventure! Live in the moment and enjoy!

21. 2935ford

2935ford

That's a cool wagon......have fun, be safe! :)

22. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

very Cool - don't forget about Historic Interstate 40 ( I-40 / I-80) which US Highway 66 crisscrosses at points - check out roadtrippers.com

23. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Nice little 'Nash Rambler'. Wait...There was a song...

24. CAHotRodBoy

CAHotRodBoy

My favorite kind of thread....road trip! I'm doing a big lop around the country this fall and really looking forward to it. There are a few other road trip threads on the HAMB that are inspiring.
    This will be a fantastic experience for you and your family and you'll bond with that wagon and want to keep it forever (or maybe hate it and sell it as soon as you get home! :eek::D). Hopefully, you'll pass it down to the kids some day.
    Looking forward to your posts.
    Helpful hint: When you post photos, if you click on the "Full Image" box the photos will be large and viewers won't have to click on each photo to see them.

25. coilover

coilover
    from Texas

Wife and I did a North-South border to border the last time gas got down near two bucks a gallon which was necessary when driving a 13mpg 37 Buick straight eight. Also had a/c, 12v, and radials. With gas down again we are talking about a lap of the U.S. but first must finish up OD trans and front disc brakes. A monsoon in KC on previous trip made the drum brakes useless---they don't work under water. Plan on extra time at every food or fuel stop because onlookers will have lots of question or remember when their family had a car "just like it". The smiles per gallon will be sky high. Have fun.

26. Sounds like a great adventure, We traveled a good bit in a 1940 Sedan hot rod when our twins 8 years old and we pulled a Mullins trailer pack full of tools,cloths,food and parts.

We saw a lot of tis country and took in several shows along the way.

We still talk about it to this day, our girls are now 42, Have fun and take lots of photo's along the way. HRP

27. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Great score on the wagon, good on the AC as it's been Hotter than Hell the last few days here in SoCal

28. lake_harley

lake_harley

I just remembered, I traveled a short section of the ORIGINAL Rt. 66 on a motorcycle trip a few years ago. It's the virgin, real-deal Rt.66 with the narrow strip between the east and westbound lanes, and the curbed concrete slab. If memory serves it's just East of Waynesville/Ft Leonard Wood Missouri. Seeing that short stretch of highway made me think of the dreams and history that road represents. I hope for your sake that you find it and it hasn't been "molested"!

Lynn Route 66  (1).JPG Route 66 (2).JPG

29. Don't know how familiar you are with Ramblers I-6 engines but they seem to have a regular maintenance schedule for head bolt retourqeing. HAMB member Frank Swygert seems to be one of the Rambler gurus around here and I found a post of his on the AMC forum that explains this in more detail. If you add "Rambler" to the title of this thread he'd probably stop by and wish you well. :cool:

http://www.theamcforum.com/forum/ne...39-b67e3a16847za73a96116639351852.html#123390

At any rate, if you haven't done so yet it sounds like a fairly painless "better safe than sorry" procedure. ;)

30. Following along now and can’t wait to get updates along the way. Whether you have any problems or not, you will have some great memories you and your family will remember forever. Praying you have a great trip!