Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1940 ford windows

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 911 steve, Jun 9, 2019.

1. 911 steve

911 steve
    from nebraska

my 2dr sedan has poor functioning power windows, a conversion kit from vintage glass in CA. I realize every kit is different, this kit uses a cable driven screw type drive. but anybody have an idea what would be needed to switch back to manual windows??? Bob Drake has the regulators for $178. guides, etc???

2. 911 steve

911 steve
    from nebraska

it uses auto-loc switches that use the original crank handles, here's a few pics P6090001.JPG P6090002.JPG P6090003.JPG

3. manyolcars

manyolcars

Take out non Ford stuff. Put in Ford stuff

olscrounger likes this.
  4. I would recommend finding someone parting out a sedan of the same era about 38-40. Get all the guts with all the hardware, channels and regulators at the same time.
    Usually there are stops at the bottoms and sometimes the channels on either side. It seems steep when you add up 178.00 x 4 to go back to original and still need parts.

Also from looking at the photos. Mounting holes may have been cutout from the door also. So you may need to look for photos of stock door without the door panel. If inner door mounts have been cut. It may be a bigger mess to go back.

You need the regulators, handles and make sure the original channels are in there. Also you need to make sure the door sheet metal is still ok to bolt in the original style regulators.

Also you need to check to see if the bottoms of the windows, the mounts are the original style, not replaced with something from the aftermarket kit.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
    olscrounger likes this.

5. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

see the channels still there--stops are on the regulator-just get s set of stock regulators and install-the rollers are on the regulator.you need the bottom channels as well that goes on bottom of glass

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  6. 911 steve

911 steve
    from nebraska

that was my point, what do I need!!!

7. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Olscrounger just told you didn’t he?

8. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

the window pieces for the glass are on ebay several sets for 2 drs-get some 2 dr regs and you should be good to go!
    The new regs do not have the stops but easy to make and install=holes are there

9. Not saying it's not a good idea to switch back to original, but can you figure out why they are functioning poorly? Almost looks like the power guide isn't centered on the glass. That would make the window tip back and forth as it's trying to go up(and down).

10. Weedburner 40

Weedburner 40

In my experience, those cable style lifts are not strong enough for a Tudor window. They're just barely enough for a pickup or coupe window.

olscrounger likes this.
  11. alchemy

alchemy

Yep, it looks like an afternoon's work once you get the correct regulators and glass bottom channel. Lots of original regulators are rather worn out, so unless you can look them over in person, buying new ones might be the best bet. And MOST of the bottom channels are rusted beyond use, so I would for sure get new bottom channels.

Jim Bouchard likes this.
  12. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

As scrounger mentions, there are several 1940 Ford window regulators and other window parts on E-Bay now.

13. 4dFord/SC

4dFord/SC

14. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Have helped on a few 40's with power windows. Got rid of the whole mess and put in stock pieces. Function fine.
    On the regs, the new ones don't have the stop as stated but the holes are there in the comb-easy to make or you can roll the window down to the desired height and install a screw in the channel. The bolt that hold the regs in the door are short. If a bit too long they will bind up the reg-find em at Ace hardware.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
  15. fordflambe

fordflambe

This may be totally irrelevant but regardless of stock or conversion, if the glass drags in the channel, neither work well. I have found that new felt channels (regardless of the car) fit the glass very well and create some drag going up and down. I like to use silicon spray directly on the channel and glass to eliminate the drag. lube it up and work it up and down a few cycles and you will see a great difference in both effort to raise and lower the glass and speed at which it goes up and down.

16. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

I have No-relics power windows in my 40 coupe, they have worked flawlessly for about 15 years.

17. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

I would trade you functional window mechanisms for an evening with the subject in your avatar!...