Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Removing front bearing snap ring flatty transmission

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by jdpaxton, Jun 10, 2019.

1. jdpaxton

jdpaxton

I keep running into the strange angle cut ends on the snap rings on the bearings of ford flatty transmissions and wonder how everyone else removes them. MIND YOU I am not talking about the common snap ring that has opposing angles on the ends so to use the plier like tool to expand, but on one side the angle is the familiar pointy end, and just the opposite on the other.

2. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Icepicks, small screwdrivers, & half a dozen pairs of snap ring pliers with the tips filed to whatever the job calls for ...

Cliff Ramsdell and alanp561 like this.
  3. jdpaxton

jdpaxton

Thanks 302. I did a google and nothing except Mac`s and a few others are selling the snap ring. No mention of a tool. I remember being shown to always grind the offending side to an angle before installing. I have it off after using a wore out Dremel cut off wheel a little smaller than a dime and making an angle then the common spreader style tool. Either there is a tool out there from the past or Ford mechanics of old would not have made much money as a transmission line mechanic. Heck of a poor design.

4. hold the off angle side with a flat screw driver, then push an ice pick under the other side.

stillrunners likes this.

5. banjorear

banjorear

I have a set of these Craftsman pliers that have tooled flats that just happen to work perfectly with these rings. I'll try to post a pict. They allow me to grab the ends with pressure to allow me to work the ring down enough to clear the slot.

As others mentioned, if you don't have these, pry them in, up and out by any means necessary.

I would also suggest getting Mac Van Pelt's (Van Pelt Sales) book on rebuilding these transmission. It's filled with tons of good tips and useful information.

He also sells re-worked snap rings that are easier to use conventional tools with up installation. They are real reasonable.

48fordnut likes this.
  6. Mac VP

Mac VP

Force a slender pick tool under one end of the ring (doesn’t matter which end) and tap it in enough to pop that one end up out of its groove. Grab a slender tipped screwdriver and continue to work the end of the ring away from the groove......work the ring around the circle, using a hammer to tap it, and eventually you’ll end up popping it entirely out of the groove. If the ring is loose and scoots around on you, use a second screwdriver to keep it from rotating while you pop that other end up. Sometimes we’ve had to borrow a second set of hands in the shop.

The alternative is to use a dremel too with a slender bit to grind a reverse slant to the end of the ring so that your lock ring pliers can spread the ring. Generally we can remove them by method described above.

All of our replacement lock rings are made with the opposed tips for ease of installation or removal.

7. I had good luck rebuilding my '47 trans with these type of pliers. I have an old set of OTC ones.

[​IMG]

Cliff Ramsdell and VANDENPLAS like this.
  8. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I have 3 pairs of pliers especially for removing trans snap rings . Any of the three are still a available from Snap On . They are expensive , but are busted knuckles , and eyes from chipped tools cheap ? If you where near to me I’d come over remove and help you overhaul your trans . Sorry I will not loan any tools anymore , too many I had to chase down . With the answer “ sorry I forgot ‘ to bring it back “

9. what they ^^^ said....and I keep a box of band aids handy....

10. deucemac

deucemac

you have it right. I have an old Craftsman snap ring pliers that has flat knurled tips. I can put the tips down against the groove, spread the jaws and get a small screwdriver under one edge and the remove as Mac said. I don't know if Craftsman still makes that tool, but it has been a lifesaver with those snap rings.