Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Door handle install

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by greg37, Jun 9, 2019.

1. greg37

greg37
    from mi.

Hey everyone, I have a 32 Ford 3 window with shaved door handles/trunk handle. Seems lately I've been reading a lot on how unsafe they are in case of an accident/fire. The car has suicide doors with a locking rod to keep the doors from potentially opening . to me this makes it even worse. How hard is it to install door handles in this car ? It has bear claw latches ( I think ) The car is painted and I don't want to start drilling holes . Any suggestions ? Thanks

2. alchemy

alchemy

Doesn't sound like a job for a beginner. You first need to know what kind of latches are in it.

Then you need to see where the parts are located. I'd suggest putting the handle in the exact original position (cause if it's off a bit it will never look right to those in the know, a sure giveaway to an amateur mistake). Is the inside doubler plate still there to screw the handle into?

If the original latches are there, you are done. If not, it's just a matter of getting the rotating action from the handle to the replacement latch. Lots of times the glass is in the way. You need to take a rod from the handle's inside lever (might need to fab one) downward to a bellcrank below the window, then up again on the other side of the window to the latch. Easy-peasy.

3. greg37

greg37
    from mi.

Your right It's not really something to try unless your sure of what your doing . It's a nice car and I'd hate to screw it up. there are some shops near me I could take it to. Mabey I'm worrying over something that will never happen. But that's it you just don't know. Thanks