Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Anybody ever painted a car Evening Orchid?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Speed Gems, Jun 10, 2019.

1. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

Anybody ever hear of the color evening Orchid? According to the internet it is a "rare" stock GM color for '65. Has anybody ever painted a car this color. Here's one I found from the net.
    [​IMG]

alanp561, scotty t, V8 Bob and 11 others like this.
  2. I know I haven't.

DIYGUY likes this.
  3. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

This one comes close,but i don't know if it is or not.
    [​IMG]

V8 Bob, Jim Bouchard, Stogy and 5 others like this.
  4. CAVEMAN_1960

CAVEMAN_1960
    from Michigan

Evening Orchid was available on 1965 Chevrolets including the Corvair. I've had several EO Corvairs over the years including one convertible with the 180 HP turbocharged engine. Here is picture of a '65 Corvair Corsa coupe in Evening Orchid. 5177.jpg

alanp561, Spoggie, Hnstray and 6 others like this.

5. I'm not too crazy about the color, I prefer darker colors. HRP

Deuces likes this.
  6. noboD

noboD

One of my favorite colors.

Deuces, B Bay Barn and Speed Gems like this.
  7. Jim Bouchard

Jim Bouchard

I like it!!!!
    But
    It does depend on the car

scotty t, Hnstray, Deuces and 3 others like this.
  8. 1965 chevrolet color code PP

Hnstray, Deuces, 62hotcat and 2 others like this.
  9. That color with White Scallops....

Pure art!

10. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Had a 65 Chevelle that color

jimmy six, LOU WELLS, Deuces and 2 others like this.
  11. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

is was a "new" color for the charts - Chevy cars looked wild in it at the time - Dupont color code 4632L

Deuces, kidcampbell71 and Speed Gems like this.
  12. Dixon Bastie

Dixon Bastie

13. Dixon Bastie

Dixon Bastie

A friend of mine had a 65 Bonneville two door hardtop and another had a 65 Chevelle in "Evening Orchid". To me, that color was always an eye-catcher. I wish manufacturers today would offer the variety of colors they once did, but imagine the cost vs. profit doesn't justify it.

Deuces and Speed Gems like this.
  14. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I was looking for a 'lavender' in '56, for my chopped '36 three window...Closest thing was 'Orchid', so I started painting edges, door jambs, around front and rear window openings...
    My aunt came over, looked at what I was doing, and said in a voice I can still remember: "Oh, a touch of lavender..."
    Over my head, but my Mom told me later. "That's an old line from a play...referring to men who get along better with men."
    I still thought it was a 'hep' color.

Rand Man, alanp561, Hnstray and 2 others like this.
  15. Dixon Bastie

Dixon Bastie

Hey Mike, don't stress - I own a pink and white 58 Edsel Citation, and look good wearing pink shirts. Had a 54 Merc convertible I redid in .... yup, lavendar.

Deuces and Atwater Mike like this.
  16. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

GM 57's had a nice lavender too

17. noboD

noboD

Royal Plum from a '67 Camaro would be another good color.

18. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

The Pontiac version of Evening Orchid is called Iris Mist..

19. 57 Chevy Dusk Pearl Poly is in the ballpark.
    [​IMG]

MO_JUNK, Hnstray, Deuces and 7 others like this.
  20. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

I've seen a few Iris Mist Pontiacs, mostly GTOs but a few full size cars as well. The color is more striking in person than how it looks in the photos above. They also had an available interior color that was sort of a plum color, the two put together was a dynamite color combination.

21. Great color. AMT model paints had one that was close, Orchid Silk. Went on almost like a pearl paint. Worked best over a sliver under coat. On real cars, the primer color will influence the top coat effect.

Deuces and Atwater Mike like this.
  22. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

No, but I painted one in the afternoon in an apple orchard.

23. I remember seeing '65 Caprices painted this color more than other GM models. Probably a few Impalas as well. It was likely available on other models as well, like the Corvair shown above, though I wonder if it was an extra cost option.

But there were a couple other similar light metallic colors like this that GM offered at that time that didn't seem to wear very well. After a year or two they got "chalky" and lost their gloss and looked like they wouldn't hold wax, especially on the top surfaces where the sun seemed to do the most damage. I suspect that many of them got repainted in more durable solid colors.

Wonder if these were originally painted in an enamel when everything else GM built was finished in lacquer? This same orchid color applied today in a modern paint finish looks pretty rich on the right car.

belair likes this.
  24. I've read that mixing that color is crazy expensive

bobss396 likes this.
  25. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've thought many times of painting something this color. I think I saw it once on a 1965 Chevelle convertible which was this color with a white top and white interior. The car was beautiful! I could see it done on a 55/56/57 as a two tone with a light cream color being the upper accent color. Or maybe a 56/57 Ford Del Rio the same way.

26. coilover

coilover
    from Texas

Have an Evening Orchid story. In 1965 two high school classmates and myself, all single with good jobs, decided we needed a community car for occasions our 3/4T work trucks were not classy enough. This idea was born in the minds of ones that had been partaking of the Devils brew. There was a Chevy dealer (?) at the corner of Central Expressway and Ross Avenue that had three Malibu's---one silver, one blue, and the orchid one. When a salesman came over and asked if we were thinking about buying one we said we would pay cash for the fastest one. The silver and blue ones were 283's while the orchid one was a 327 so it went home with us. Later was stolen by a Ft. worth cop that had a chop operation going on at his Dad's farm. When recovered everything that made it a Malibu SS right down to the deer emblem on the glove box was gone along with the 4sp and shifter.

Tim_with_a_T likes this.
  27. 29moonshine

29moonshine

a friend had a 65 nova that that color from the factory

28. Graystoke

Graystoke

29. noboD

noboD

30. Graystoke

Graystoke