Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Snooter

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ekimneirbo, Jun 10, 2019.

1. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

I go to the Nationals every year and walk about a zillion miles. I finally decided that I really wasn't getting to see some of the stuff because I got tired and set in my chair recouping my energy for another sojurn. Got harder every year, so I decided to do something about it. I rented a scooter one year and found that while I preferred walking, the scooter was really pretty nice for getting to the far points of the fairgrounds....but it wasn't cheap. So the old brain began to whirrrrr. Didn't really like the idea of
    looking too old to walk so........

I found a like new Hoverround with dead batteries. Cut the main frame off and saved the control box, wiring and motors. Bought an old Snapper lawn mower. Whirrr,click,snap, ehmmm ! Bought some BIG deep cycle scooter batteries at Walmart, bent some aluminum, made rear wheel adapters, and a drink holder..........

Anyway, hope to see some more of these at the Nats, cause you still have time. If you haven't ridden a scooter, go with a 4 wheel as they are more stable than the three wheel versions.

029.JPG 029.JPG DSCN5006.JPG DSCN5007.JPG DSCN5008.JPG DSCN5011.JPG DSCN5012.JPG

Attached Files:

• 012.JPG
      012.JPG
      File size:
      202.9 KB
      Views:
  2. I like the dual exhaust on that electric scoot. :p

chryslerfan55, scotty t and loudbang like this.
  3. But...you STILL end up being one of those guys the other guys hate for getting in the way with a scooter. I can't walk like I used to either since I developed neuropathy in my feet but I will continue to walk as much as I can and rest when I have to. Otherwise I would be too fat to walk...:eek:

4. I used one at the Nats South a few years ago but I had a broken ankle and had decided to just sit in my chair and watch what went by, Brenda rented a scooter and I will have to admit as much as I didn't want to use it I did travel the entire complex and without it I would have missed a lot.

I will continue to walk as long as I can, eventually I'm afraid all us old frats will have to resort to the scooters but I'm gonna resist the urge as long as possible. HRP

5. dirrty

dirrty

But will it do a burnout?

Truck64 and loudbang like this.
  6. I applaud your innovation and fabrication skills, but you might want to check the rules before you tote it to fairgrounds. They may not allow you to use it, you know, competition for the rental ones there.:(

7. And your only 39 years old and already need a mobility scooter?

Again, I can understand if you really need it but unless you have a physical problem keep that hearty rate up and walk. HRP

8. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Guys, I always prided myself in not scooting but continuing to walk. Actually I'm 74, had a heart attack, some stints and medication. Stamina has become an issue, and sometimes you just have to accept the fact that time takes its toll.
    I have ridden it at the Nats the last two years, but I walk everywhere else that I go to smaller shows. After I retired at 68, I walked 4 miles every morning. Thats when I had the first chest pains. Thought I was healthy and ignored it. Happened again during a walk. Thrid time it woke me up in the middle of the night and went to the hospital.
    So, you can understand why I am hesitant to just "gut it out" when walking at the Nats. Trust me, I wish I could still walk the Nats everyday..........The snooter just sets the rest of the year.

9. Why in the world did you post this in your profile? HRP

ekimneirbo
    Member, Male, 39

Birthday:
    May 16, 1980 (Age: 39)

chryslerfan55 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  10. If you need it then you need it. What I hate to see when trying to peruse a swap meet, is some fat guy too lazy to walk cruising around cutting me off and blocking my way. No one faults someone who truly needs it.

11. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Maybe he meant born 1939 and is senile like the rest of us.:p

VANDENPLAS and lothiandon1940 like this.
  12. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Brilinta 001.jpg
    Its simply a matter of not wanting to put my personal information on the internet, but to join, you have to put something in the box. I NEVER put personal info the internet. My son has twice had his personal information stolen and just last week someone charged over $1000 at Walmart. People intent on doing crooked things find ways to track and associate info from different sites. Couldn't figure out why the 80 cent discount my Kroger receipt showed wasn't showing up at the gas pump. Someone had our old Kroger card and was using our points. Had to get Kroger to fix it so we had new cards. Phone rings constantly every day with robo calls. Everything from the "one ring scam" to "your computer has a virus" to medicare scams....over and over. We got where we didn't even answer our phone unless someones name actually showed on the phone. Then they started stealing peoples names and using them to make calls. I've seen everything from personal friends of mine to my own name used to call me. Had a guy call me and say he was just returning my call. Told him I didn't call. He got irate till I told him I was laying in a hospital bed and my wife just happened to be sitting next to me with my phone in her purse....so I knew no one had called with my phone.
    I also just took my computer to a guy to have some virus removed that began making it malfunction. The guy told me he found "just" 6 virus/malware/etc. on mine which was actually pretty good. He said the worst one he ever debugged had hundreds of virus/malware on it. Craigslist used to be full of scams offering vehicles at rediculously low prices...just scams. Bad people find innocous sites like this and harvest info.
    So pardon me if I don't want to put any of my personal information on the internet.
    (I notice you list your occupation as "Chief embezzlement officer")

As far as the heart problems go, here is a picture of my Brilinta prescription which I have been taking since they put my last stint in place. Got five of them little boogers now. My neighbor has 7, but hes older than me. Went to the doctor today and he told me I can stop taking the Brilinta . Now I can schedule my cataract surgery which I couldn't have as long as I was taking Brilinta. You wouldn't believe how easily you bruise when you are on this stuff. Every time I work on an old car I look like I lost a fight. I'm sure there are some other old guys out there who can verify
    some of these observations.

Now can we stick to talking about mechanical things rather than personal information? View attachment 4312570 View attachment 4312570

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
  13. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

I agree with you wholeheartedly, thats one reason I fought against getting one....didn't want to be that guy. With the Snooter, people smile and many of them ask me how I made it or want pictures of it. Been hoping others would start building similar ones.
    The thing is though, I look to be in good health, so someone might question my need for
    one, but I really try to not hold anyone up and give them the right of way.
    Personally, I think the groceries are the worst places for lazy people and scooters.

14. Do whatever you have to do to get out and enjoy our hobby. Don’t feel bad about having to have some help getting around. If other people don’t like it, tough shit, they will get old one day too. My family and I are heavily involved in the antique tractor hobby. Every tractor show you go to has people on mostly golf carts, but there are also some side by side atv’s as well. Without her golf cart, my Mom could never go to tractor shows. At 45, I’m usually one of the young guys at a tractor show, but sitting around and listening to the older people is priceless.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. Hombre

Hombre
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The attitude shown here to the scooters is the very reason I will never get one or even use one. I have been unable to go to a simple swap meet for a long time and I could certainly attend a few of them if I had one of these scooters. I don't do the car show thing but I do enjoy a cruise now and then, hell if I went to a car show they would have to bring the cars to me, LOL.

Last mission I was on in the Corps left me with little movement in my right leg, but I could get around pretty good with a cane. Then just plain old getting old and the damage only gets worse. I guess I could go thru more surgery, and maybe get around better. After 19 operations to my right leg there are not cutting on me no more. If that means not attending a swap meet will it will just have to be. Besides most of those damn scooters are far from cool enough for this old guy anyway. Damn ain't Vanity a bitch??

woodsnwater and chryslerfan55 like this.
  16. Chief embellishment officer

The CEO has the ultimate authority to make final decisions for a company. ... As the Chief Executive Officer I am the company founder, chief stockholder and owner.

As a chief embezzlement officer I misappropriate funds into my hot rod account. HRP

17. I harbor no ill will against anyone that has to use a mobility scooter, and as I mentioned earlier the day may come I have to, in 1974 I was in a serious motorcycle accident and I have bars,Pins and screws in my leg and my ankle is fused ( no articulation) and when walking any distance it creates a lot of swelling, I'm fine if I stay at it, I sit down and I'm done. HRP

18. RMONTY

RMONTY

I'm 59 and have had major back surgery and a couple of stents and am not too proud or vain at this age to rent a scooter to get around at a large event. It's either rent one or miss out on some stuff. The last time I went to Decatur swap meet it took me over an hour to get back to my truck after walking all the way through. Over 12,000 steps and i paid for it for a couple of days. Smaller places i do ok and try to get my heart rate up when I can. I'm sure as i get older the mobility devices will be more common. I'm ok with it.

flatford39 likes this.
  19. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

I have a bum left foot , I really need to have surgery on it but will be down for several months afterwards. I can walk for a couple of miles then my foot is done. I have rented scooters at big events and the swap meets that will allow it I ride one of my vintage Stingrays. I'm also working on a peddle powered mobility scooter so I get some exercise while hunting for parts .

classiccarjack and dirty old man like this.
  20. I am having serious issues with walking since the last big show I attended. (OC Cruisin) I got around fine with the usual lower back pain on Thursday and Friday, but by mid afternoon Saturday my left leg was throbbing. I figured that I just overdid it, but a month later it's still throbbing. Went to my spine surgeon (who had already fused seven vertebrae in my neck) and was told that the discs were all but non existent two places in my lower back. Might have to build myself a cool scooter soon. Just don't know how I'm gonna get it in the "T"! I don't think of the people who use them as lazy. I'd be willing to bet that they rather be able walk comfortably than ride one of those scooters. At least they are out doing something instead of sitting in a recliner staring at a television...

21. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

My wife and I always love seeing the scooters. We remember the older generation that stayed home in the recliner till the end when they started feeling old age. This generation keeps going till they drop. I saw a scooter at a swap meet that had paint overspray all over it from the the guy still painting his own cars. I say this current generation is the greatest. Never surrender !

classiccarjack and dirty old man like this.
  22. jnaki

jnaki

Hey E,
    What a cool scooter (Snooter). I would get one in an instant if the motor were powerful and the battery lasts a long time. A local neighborhood guy has his seated scooter and runs up and down the hilly streets with his big Labrador. That has to have a lot of electric power. He makes daily runs for about 30 minutes. So, he still enjoys "walking" his Labrador.

I like your set up. Here is something you might consider for the next step. That frame tube below the seats looks ripe for cutting off and inserting a smaller tight fitting pipe. That pipe would slide into the under seat tube and held in place with a rod, bolt, or pin. That way, the "Snooter" could be disassembled and placed in a station wagon, sedan delivery, or trunk of a sedan. We don't all have pick up trucks.

Jnaki
    Great build and those are just my thoughts if i ever needed one for scooting around. That pipe insert with a pin or bolt idea came from 1957 when (we built a Doodlebug) using a bicycle front end and tree attached to a modified grocery cart frame. We did not have a welder at the time. So the insert and front end bolted in place did the trick.

23. Flames
    Full fenders and running boards
    Curb feelers
    And a reverb sound system.
    I think it’s neat.
    Great idea.

I’m 40 this year my entire lower back from my hips down is fused from motorcycle accidents ( yes plural)
    And I have sciatica in both legs
    Bad knees
    And a bum elbow on my left wing from a fall.

No meds ( as I was a doctor prescribed junkie for years)!!

It hurts like fluck every day.but I keep trucking
    Never mind my 70’s
    I’ll be happy to make it to my 50’s!!

C36D02DA-921C-4365-90FF-F739E83351EC.jpeg

williebill, Kan Kustom and lumpy 63 like this.
  24. use the scooters if they help you enjoy the cars, or if scooters are the difference between you going, or staying home! Us walking guys will deal with it. Average scooter pilot probably knows 10x more about my car than I do,if a scooter wheels up to my heap and starts talking, maybe I'll learn something....

25. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

yep, the 'ol body ain't what it used to be - the Snooter is what it is - ya gotta do what ya gotta do - hated having to wear glasses when doing detail work, etc

dirty old man, Kan Kustom and Hombre like this.
  26. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Should we insert a geritol commercial here?:rolleyes:

egads, blowby and VANDENPLAS like this.
  27. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

28. deucemac

deucemac

I can tell this for sure. If it wasn't for the scooter I have, I would be house bound. I have hard braces on both knees after 6 different surgeries. Ìt have heart problems, diabetes. COPD and a few other problems. I can walk short distances with my cane, but then I am through for a long time. The scooter is a God send. I can sit and drive my roadster still by wearing athletic braces instead of my hard braces. I refuse to allow all the physical problems to hold me back. My passion is as strong as ever, my ability is lacking somewhat. I still work on my cars but have to adapt myself to get the jobs done. I consider it a challenge to overcome. I will be at the L A Roadsters meet this weekend with both the roadster and the scooter. I have been screwing around with hot rods and race cars since I was 14, well over a half century ago. As a scooter operater, it takes lots of concentration to avoid hitting walkers that don't notice or care about scooters. Last year at the GNRS, I swerved to avoid a guy that wasn't looking. Unfortunately as I swerved, someone else stepped into my new path and I bumped into him while avoiding the other guy. I apologized profusely to no avail. He called me and my scooter names that would make an old sailor blush. Trust me, I would give almost anything to not be confined to a scooter. My congratulations to your inginuity on your scooter or should I say snooter. My passion far outweighs my inconvenience. So if you here a bicycle horn sound behind you and turn around to see a Washington blue scooter with a save the salt and Mooneyes decal on the steering mast, it's just me trying to have a good time with hot rods. A couple of years ago, I tried to get Blackie to race me for pinks, but he just laughed and cruised off. If you love this hobby/passion/business/ obsession as much as I do. ADAPT and enjoy every thing you can!

29. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

This says it all. Great attitude. Keep going. We need all of our fellow hot rodders, not just a few lucky ones. Our sport is small enough.

williebill likes this.
  30. manyolcars

manyolcars

OP how do you carry your purchases? You need a truck bed on the back

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
    ekimneirbo and dirty old man like this.