Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Paint Torq Thrust Centers to match Car?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by jaw22w, Jun 8, 2019.

1. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

I'm not sure when Torq Thrust wheels came out. If this post is not appropriate, please delete. No problem. If not.....I had "The Moose" ( Thanks The Moose) do a photoshop to change my wheels to Torq Thrust. I liked the looks in the pic and found an old set. The centers could use a paint job. I was just wondering if any of you had painted TT wheel centers to match (or contrast to) the car? Post up some pics if you have. I'll start with The Moose's rendition because I haven't got them on the car yet. torque thrust wheels on T.jpg

JRussell, OLSKOOL57, catdad49 and 2 others like this.
  2. indyjps

indyjps

Wouldnt be my first choice. Dark color car, would be better than light.
    Since the TT's came with a matte finish, maybe get matte color match for the wheels.

I really like that blue.

jaw22w likes this.
  3. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

I agree with you since I accidentally posted this in the traditional forum. I apologize. Could one of the monitors either move this or delete it. Thanks.

4. The hamb would lose a lot of pics if Torque Thrusts were removed
    Car looks cool. I wouldn’t paint the centers

jaw22w likes this.

5. I remember back in the mid 60's it was real common to see the wheels painted the same color as the car. HRP

OLSKOOL57 and jaw22w like this.
  6. 6sally6

6sally6

By accident I had the (M-word) not HAMB appropriate...... painted grey and it was almost identical to the TT grey centers! I've had a bunch of comments how well they look the same color.
    About the center caps.........I think the flat plate that goes over the hole would look trick on yours. High light the competition look you got go'in on.
    6sally6

jaw22w likes this.
  7. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Can you dig it , man? I can . :cool: Looks hot roddy/sporty.:)

jaw22w likes this.
  8. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Do a search for The Moonlighter Willys on here.

jaw22w likes this.
  9. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

I personally think painting the wheels body color cheapens the whole look. Go gray, black, natural or polished. The only people I ever knew that painted their mags to match the car were trying to hide the fact they had rusty chrome mag wheels or the aluminum was all pitted and nasty and it showed. Brings back thoughts of cheap fixes to me, I could never do that.
    SPark

Gasser 57, Squablow, verde742 and 9 others like this.
  10. I don't like the painted centers.

11. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Spinner centers!

Bones

jaw22w likes this.
  12. Another ''no'' vote here. Absolutely my favorite wheel, I cringe at body colored spokes.
    Same goes for Corvette rallys, gotta be correct color.

13. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

My vote NO.

jaw22w likes this.
  14. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

15. Deuces

Deuces

I've seen them painted white on a bright blue Nova.... Looked pretty cool to me....
    Same wheels had redline tires on it also..... :)

OLSKOOL57 and jaw22w like this.
  16. it's all a matter of opinion,...mine is that you ruin those wheels by painting those spokes unless they are the correct grey...

17. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

I agree with LM14 and others. IMHO, painting Torque Thrust spokes any color other than gray or maybe black is sacrilegious and looks gaudy. A yellow, red, blue, green, etc car with matching 5 spoke paint!!?? We'll pull your Hot Rodder card if you do!
    If you REALLY have to have painted matching/contrasting wheels, swap on a set of steelies or spokes and paint them. Even at that, they have to be on the right car to "work".

olscrounger, jaw22w and BamaMav like this.
  18. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I agree with the others, gray or black spokes. I like my wheels to contrast the paint, light color wheel on dark paint and vice versa. Chromed or polished go with both light and dark paints.

I remember late 70's Camaros having a 5 spoke wheel painted body color, the dark ones looked OK, but the baby blue and the yellow ones looked awful to me. Who would want yellow wheels on anything but a John Deere tractor?

Rich S. and jaw22w like this.
  19. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ur jokin' right?

jaw22w and Deuces like this.
  20. DOCTOR SATAN

DOCTOR SATAN
    from okc

Gold flake......

jaw22w and Just Gary like this.
  21. PoTaToTrUcK

PoTaToTrUcK

Bleach my eyes first.

jaw22w likes this.
  22. You used to be able to buy 'mag wheel' paint but like so many other products it's gone these days. It was available in various matt gray colors but had some metallic content. The current usage of gray/black primer doesn't look right either IMO. Most glossy paint looks terrible IMO.

Eastwood makes a 'charcoal' Rally wheel paint that looks good, and I'd also look at some of the underhood paints. Eastwood or Sem stainless steel, cast iron, or even carburetor bronze are colors that can work. These are all matt finishes.

If you want an easier-to-clean gloss finish, look at hammertone paints. Starting with a black, you could lightly tint it with another color for a subtle complimentary color, I just wouldn't get carried away.

jaw22w likes this.
  23. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

Holy Shit, Man! You can't pull my Hot Rodder Card! I'm old enough to have a 4 digit card! I promise I won't paint 'em blue!
    Car started out on the road with TruSpoke chrome wheels for about a month. Too street roddy. Then I put the chrome smoothies with red painted centers and baby moons on it. Drove it that way for 4 years. Good old HOTROD look. Then painted it Washington Blue last summer and the wheels at the same time. At first they were Wimbledon white. Then changed to the blue they are currently. Looks like Grandpa's car. I haven't been happy with the "look" since I painted the car. Now I am going to try the TT's.
    I'll probably go with the original gray centers. The gray goes well with the black and blue anyway.
    This will be the 5th wheel rendition on the car. I hope I hit it soon.
    I kinda wish I had never painted the car and left the wheels red.

IMG_0021 (2).JPG
    IMG_0081 (2).JPG blue t.jpg

olscrounger likes this.
  24. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have an offset color on that style wheel on the GTO. I got it from one of my best buds and they were already done. I plan to leave em that way, it's not at all hateful and sort of individual. What do you guys think? GO ahead, I can take it...;)

[​IMG]

Deuces, chevy57dude and jaw22w like this.
  25. DOCTOR SATAN

DOCTOR SATAN
    from okc

Sweet.......

Deuces and jaw22w like this.
  26. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Actually, ET wheels could be bought in gold and don't look horrible. Had a friend with them on a dark gold Charger and they fit that car well. They were original gold center ET's he bought new with the car in '73.

SPark

27. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Not a big fan either, but it kind of depends on the color, my first car was a black 61 Impala that I bought at 15, it had black painted spokes on the Dragmaster and ET five spokes when purchased and at the time I thought it looked pretty cool.

28. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Some center caps would be cool, ones with a hurst logo would be interesting too

29. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^^^^

I've got the flat caps for it.

Deuces likes this.
  30. Packrat

Packrat

I love this look, maybe not what you asked though.[​IMG]

jaw22w and Deuces like this.