Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Tire ride quality

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Justin in PA, Jun 9, 2019.

1. Justin in PA

Justin in PA

I just got my '31 on the road and wanted to know if anyone has any input on bias tire ride quality. I have 6.50-16's on all four corners (that is what I had available and they fit my budget). The front are Remingon's and the rear are some other U.S. made tire but unbranded. All were unused but no less than 20 years old but don't seem hard and don't flat-spot when they sit. I'd like to know if new bias plys will provide a better ride or if it is as good as it gets. Are any brands less harsh than others?

Side view.jpg

catdad49 and Stogy like this.
  2. Bias ply tires will not ride like radials and tend to ride rougher. HRP

3. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There are Threads coming out the wazoo on Bias Ply Ride and quality etc....They perform just fine under most circumstances. You will get to know most of the eccentricities after driving for a while...I find them just fine at all speeds. They can grip and act a little strange on certain Line Paint and pavement crack sealants...but nothing that I would consider threatening to my or anyone else's safety...

Flat spots disappeared when they changed the cord/belts within the tire structure...I don't know how long ago they did that...Mine sat on the garage floor all winter and feel fine as well...AND Bias plys technically Don't have a date of expiry...

At 20 years old you better have a very good look and I suspect you have for cracking and other potential issues. I am running 26 psi fronts and 20 psi backs...I have the fronts Road Force Balanced and 3 ounces of Dyna Beads in each front tire...I am not affiliated with either balance method it is what I have done that's all.

If yours are smooth with no bounce or other ride issues Take it...

Thank You for choosing the Truly Traditional form of Tire for you ride...I wouldn't consider any other form of Tire as nothing Looks or rides like a Bias Ply...It truly is a part of the experience...

Dry Pavement...Grip is Great...Be careful in Rain slicked roads AND Loose Gravel...as you would any tire and remember your Hotrod isn't a Porsche and never will be...

Fall_2016_2.jpg

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
    jimgoetz, kadillackid and leon bee like this.
  4. Tri-power37

Tri-power37

The bias ply tires on my 58 Edsel are noticeably bumpy after sitting for awhile ,but that usually goes away after 10 or 15 minutes driving. Then they sort of feel like regular tires except they seem to follow ruts in the road and wander a bit more than radials do. But the Edsel isn’t exactly a slalom corner carving machine. Bias ply tires aren’t that bad when you get used to them .

Stogy likes this.

5. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

How much pressure are you running them at? These aren't heavy cars but a lot of guys make the mistake of having too much air in their tires.

Stogy and Frankie47 like this.
  6. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@Justin in PA are you getting Fender Scrub up front? Things look mighty tight...Give us some close ups of the Tires...;)

By the way Nice Hotrod Truck...

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
  7. Tri-power37

Tri-power37

I haven’t used the Edsel since my daughters wedding last summer . But it is like stogy’s post above mine it does feel like it rides funny over line paint and pavement crack sealant. They go a little overboard with crack sealant on our roads up here in British Columbia Canada. I usually run 32-35 psi.

Stogy likes this.
  8. Justin in PA

Justin in PA

I’ve run bias tires a lot in the past and don’t mind how they drive at all. I think that because the A is so light and has such a short wheel base it rides so hard. The front is about1” higher now than in it he photo as the reversed eyes had it a little too low and I added adjustable perches to let the shackles line up with the spring. That really softened up the front end ride. Here are the basics of the truck:
    Stock, unboxed frame
    36 LB stock flathead
    39 trans case with 40 gears
    Stock rear end
    36 front axle with 36 split wishbone
    39 cross steering
    Front panhard bar
    Front frame rail tie bar to keep driver rail from twisting due to cross steering
    Stock front spring with 9 leaves
    Adjustable front perches
    Stock rear spring with reversed eyes
    Tube shocks on all 4 corners
    Front tire pressure 22 psi
    Rear tire pressure 22 psi

Maybe I should just fill the bed with bricks to get some weight in it!

Stogy likes this.
  9. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Maybe its the Tires themselves...Perhaps they are trailer tires and made for that purpose and not passenger vehicles. Springs are important and many take out leaves to find comfort zones. I obviously am running Coker Firestone Deluxe Champions (Piecrusts)

I have researched the Remington tires...not alot of info on them but they don't make them any more but were probably a competitor back in the day when there were still companies other than Coker...I no doubt can improve the ride of my Sport Coupe but it's a host of options I have not exercised, so I have just accepted that my Hotrod is not a luxury vehicle. I did put on new Tube shocks and that did improve ride but its still primitive in feel.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
  10. Justin in PA

Justin in PA

Thanks for the input. I may have found part of the problem tonight; the shocks bottom out with only 1" of compression when installed. I have to look for a better length of shock to get into the "useful" band.

Stogy likes this.