Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Nash-Quad 1918

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oj, Jun 9, 2019.

1. oj

oj

This truck has been sitting for years, covered up in a barn and we got it running. The carburetor on it was a Stromberg M2 and had some missing pieces, other pieces had been machine to replace them but were imperfect and the engine wouldn't run. I found another complete carb last winter and between the two carbs we made 1 good one. I got the engine running a couple weeks ago and last weekend I drove it for the first time. It was incredible, it is 4 wheel drive and 4 wheel steering, when I drove it it was on concrete and I about had a heart attack doing a 3point turn.
    The video (oh please let the link work) starts as the owner is driving it past the front of his house, the huge oilcloud is from fozen rings that free up. Near the end of the video he does a hard left turn going to the barn, watch how the rear tires steer.
    https://s.amsu.ng/gLjGfUZlY30N
    A little history of these trucks, they were 2 ton trucks developed for use in WWI, at the end of the war they were given to municipalities to plow roads, airports etc. This one has a hydraulic dump bed, there is a piston inside the tower behind the seat that raises those cables on the pulleys, it is on my list to get it operating. I tried to engage the pump once but didn't want to force it, I thought the idle rpm too high and I've since lowered it. 4 Speeds forward, we even got it into 2nd gear at one point.
    I loved the line in the Operators' Manual 'For the first few hundred feet of operation the Operator will have senses on high alert'.

2. Video works, truck works OK too. Looks like he,s pretty far into the restoration. Nice.

3. Cool video.:cool:

Seeing him drive it "diagonally" down the road reminds me of firemen driving long ladder trucks diagonally in parades.:eek::)

Dino 64, oj and lothiandon1940 like this.
  4. Real cool,after all those years.Good looking machine too.

5. oj

oj

Pretty far? The only thing missing is the sheetmetal covering the engine. There's no cab or anything, there are irons for a top that a fabric top would attach to but dunno how it'd fold back due to the dump bed piston etc.
    And, I'm the one doing the work, I don't have much in this world but would like credit for what I do.

6. 327Eric

327Eric

Attached Files:

7. 327Eric

327Eric

8. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

You’re doing a great job, and it looks like your client is very happy. Ya done good
    Nice spread too

oj, Just Gary and lothiandon1940 like this.
  9. oj

oj

Is this the Quad a guy covered with a hollowed Redwood tree log to drive across the country and to promote awareness of the cutting of those beautiful trees?

10. Very cool- he needs to get that up to Hershey in October!

11. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

You’re gonna need a BIG trailer :rolleyes:

12. oj

oj

I'm hoping he'll let me have it for the Steam & Tractor show, we have a sizeable one and I just can't wait to do the promenade behind them old steam tractors, that would be just the coolest thing ever.

Dino 64 likes this.
  13. oj

oj

fast as that thing is he better leave in the morning!

Dino 64 likes this.
  14. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

When’s the show ?

15. Coggles

Coggles

People actually stop in Weott? I generally lock my doors and hope a trimmigrant doesn’t run out in front of me.

16. Nice mosquito abatement too.

Just Gary likes this.
  17. oj

oj

They schedule it for the most humid, hottest weekend possible in August. You gotta come up and see it, plan to be here on that Saturday at Noon when ALL the steam whistles cut loose. Worth the trip just hear that. Its a big show, they pack the fairgrounds, people camp out for it.

Dino 64 likes this.
  18. noboD

noboD

The show in Hershey is the first full week of October. The spot light on this truck is just the one on my DB WW1 truck. Works off of acetylene produced by a acetylene generator that drips water on acetylene to produce the gas. Google 1918 DB Light Repair truck to see pictures of my truck. OJ, you should have him bring it up. There will be 2 DBs, and a Packard truck in the military class. It would also be eligible for a 100 year badge.

oj likes this.
  19. oj

oj

What a great show, people loved it. I figured out how to raise the bed:
    004.JPG
    Heres another pic so you can see how big it is, that is a Mack truck there beside it, the top of the radiator is almost 6' off the ground. With three of us in on it I drove it across the tractor scales and it weighted a trim 8850#'s
    005.JPG
    I tried to load a video but it would take for some reason.

Dino 64 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  20. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Sorry I couldn’t make it. Great job !

21. It's probably over the weight limit at 8850 pounds! :eek:

But seriously... :p

You can't directly upload a video to the HAMB. You'll need to first upload the video to a hosting site like Dailymotion, Facebook, Liveleak, Metacafe, Vimeo or YouTube. Then you place a link to the hosted video in the forums here.

I wouldn't mind seeing this rig in motion myself. :cool:

22. chrisp

chrisp

The first video link doesn't work anymore.
    Cool truck but the lifting mechanism looks scary.

23. uncle buck

uncle buck

24. uncle buck

uncle buck

25. uncle buck

uncle buck

1920 long wheel base 4x4 log truck. This one is the 2nd from newest known to exist

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app[​IMG]

26. uncle buck

uncle buck