Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Trades you have done cars or parts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 41rodderz, Jun 6, 2019.

1. Joe_dirt1

Joe_dirt1

no, it went to Detroit, then to Nashville, and now its in Texas

2. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Okay thanks.

3. No never been to that place,

4. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

It is like $5.99 for a bbq plate with sides. That is the highest price item on the menu. We like getting off the main highway and drive through the smaller towns in Arkansas and Tennessee.

Old wolf likes this.
  5. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In about 1973 I bought a 57 Chevy Bel Aire Hardtop, inoperable brakes, 300 horse 327, Hurst Three speed, big dent in the drivers side quarter for $165. I was thinking about using the engine in a pickup that I had. Instead I traded it and a straight axle for a basket case 38 Chevrolet (see avatar) with a piece of crap early 350. I wasn't too sharp:( I still like the 38 better than the 57 and have no regrets about that.

6. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Started with a $1000 totally stock 6 cyl/3 speed '57 short bed big window F100. Put in a SBF/C4, IFS, did some rust repair, drove it a couple years and traded it straight across for a '66 F100 short bed.

The '66 had a stock 352 with a T-5 behind it, lowered and, ironically, the same wheels I had on the '57. Drove it a year or so and traded it for a Henry J project.

Fixed a few things on the Henry J but never really worked much on it. Was always getting offers to buy it. Finally got an offer to trade for a '37 Ford.

The '37 was a low miles original, less engine/trans, and was basically rust free. Been parked since '56. Gathered some parts to rod it but before anything happened I got an offer to trade for a running, blown SBC/4 speed '55 Chevy.

The '55 got a bit of work on it and a lot of new chrome, bucket seats, sold the blower, added new Hookers, etc.

Started seriously cleaning my shop a couple years ago and had enough to seriously consider doing a '32 5 window I had always wanted. Sold the '55 outright to cover the cost of the body and a lot of parts. That sale was the first time any money had changed hands in all the trades.

Went from just over $5000 invested in the '57 F100 to almost 3 times that for the '55 sale. That money put me over the top on building the '32. I have basically built the '32 with trades, selling old parts and barter with almost no out of pocket expenses at this time.

While that series of trades was going on, I also had a '69.5 Maverick Pro Stock build I traded for a '79 Fairmont pro street tube chassis car. Traded that for a '32 5 window (another one, cheap Corbin body and Speedway model A frame). Sold the Corbin body for what I had in the whole deal up to that point and was left with the rolling chassis. Bought a couple '26 T bodies and created another project that I sold for cash. Ended up making about $6000 all together on that series of trades between parts and cars. That money also went into the '32 Coupe coffers.

I've been known to trade stuff. I think I took a step up in each trade, the other guy always seemed happy with their end, too. It was my main form of entertainment for a few years. Traded from Wisconsin to Texas, Oklahoma to across town to Louisiana. Saw some great country, met some great people and owned some fun cars/projects.

SPark

SlickStockIV110.jpg LanceMom.jpg 20140512_191436_resized_1.jpg 37-024.jpg IMG_3451.JPG IMG_2012.JPG a1.jpg body2.png mockup12.jpg check3.png

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I and my students pulled the 56 Desoto Hemi an overdrive trans out of an 50 something Dodge pickup and then pulled the 350 and turbo 350 and rear out of a Mullet camaro and stuck them in the Dodge for the guy owned both and got it running. I ended up with the hemi that I still have and the rather rough Camaro that I gave to my cousin's kid along when he totaled his Pontiac ventura (nova) and stuck a 283 out of another riig he had in it and I got the 250 out of the Nova and put it in my 48. I drove over 100K with that 250 in the truck including a trip to Bonneville and Pleasanton..

8. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I think you have done great. All nice vehicles to have. Nice you have pics of them all.

9. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Nice. O just got back my Chevy 250 so that will go in the shop truck .

10. wicarnut

wicarnut

One that comes to mind, 16 in 1964 I traded my street race 57 chevy to a Wi. serviceman discharged in Calif for his mild kustom 56 Chevy ragtop he brought back, beautiful car. My car was semi famous in our neighborhood and he would always say, lets trade, even up, thought he was BSn, one night he brings his title and we immediately went to my house for mine. That 56 was worth easily worth 3/4X times what I had in the 57 and I totaled the 56 within 2/3 months, no insurance as I had ticket problems already, another story, dumb ass kid. Back then I bought sold, traded cars/parts on a regular basis to supplement my income, did well, thought about running a car type business, but finished up apprenticeship became a tradesman, I liked the trade/work, a sure thing, made great money, ended up in my Tool & Die Business 36 years, No Regrets. My last Hobby car trade was my 29 HighBoy Roadster for a 32 3 window unfinished, ( I finished it, enjoyed 8 years, sold it, Pic's in my albums) a good trade IMO. Like most everyone, bought, traded daily driver vehicles through the years, feel I made some fair deals, The depreciation was/is a killer, my choice AS I like nice cars/trucks/suvs for my dailey ride.

11. pkhammer

pkhammer

^^^LOVE the '57 big window shortbox Ford LM14. That's what I drove to high school my Junior year. Would love to find another! You made a lot of great trades too. I've learned to do some smart buying and selling, it's what funds my projects.

12. You guys have had some good luck with trades. I never had any luck with trading vehicles or parts. I always seem to need cash to get something I want. I guess I just never had anything someone else wanted.
    I guess my best trades were when I traded a 79 Olds cutlass that I paid $80 for and got it running...I traded it for a 67 Fairlane station wagon that was rust free and only needed trans repair. Gave it to my son.
    Then I traded a 56 F100 beat up truck for a 67 Fairlane. Used the engine and trans from the Fairlane and put it in my 32 coupe then sold the body to a co worker. Should have kept the F100. That wasn't a good deal for me.

13. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

You did great! but I would still rather have the 55 If not looking at the money part:)

14. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

I traded a pair of Superior 14x7 aluminum slot wheels for a 1964 Muncie 4 speed transmission with Mr. Gaskets V gate shifter out of a convertible Chevelle.I wasn't trying to get over the other guy. We just wanted what we each had and neither of us had any extra money at the time. Neither of us gave any thought as to the financial angle of it. I have been on the other end many times since that.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
    41rodderz likes this.
  15. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Mine was a very early car. 7th produced in KC plant if I remember right. Still keep an eye on it, it may come back home.
    SPark

100_3977.JPG 100_3979.JPG 100_3980.JPG 100_3929.JPG 100_3930.JPG

41rodderz and low budget like this.
  16. I had been wanting a gas burner air brake 2 ton truck. buying boosters that didn't last very long on my 66 ford F600 was too expensive. This guy comes along and needs a divorced transfer case for a 66 chev 3/4 ton 4 wheel drive. I sell him one. Then he spots this cab and long bed frame I have. its was 66 Chevy big back glass no rust or dents custom cab. I tell him its not for sale. He really wants it. I really don't want to sell. Suddenly he says I will trade you a 76 chevy C65 with a stuck engine for it. So I agree to go look at it. Its a former oxygen and actelyne truck. 10 wheeler with a air tag. 366 with working 5 speed and two speed. full air brakes. I state it would be too hard to move. He stated I will bring it to you. so we trade and he delivers the truck on a lowboy. I pour diesel and auto trans fluid in the spark plugs. let it soak several months. no luck still stuck. I decide I will get under it and remove the dust cover and pry on the flywheel teeth. When I get the dust cover off I see the starter drive is engaged. Pull the starter and it turns free. the starter had evidently engaged when it was running and was ground to pieces and locked up. Put a good starter on it and it ran. had to clean the fuel tanks & replace the carb and fuel pump. I love those air brakes.

17. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

18. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

A lesson learned makes us smarter.

Old wolf likes this.
  19. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Any more trades , guys ?

20. hotrod51

hotrod51

Did you buy it?

21. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Yes I bought it.

22. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Traded a overheating 61’ Corvair for a pig.

23. pirate

pirate
    from Alabama

In the mid sixties sold a 52 Ford sedan to my sister-in-law’s sister who was having some financial issues for $25 and a six pack. Wasn’t in very good shape but she drove it until she got back on her feet.

24. Bear40

Bear40
    from Minnesota

Maybe 15 years ago I traded (3) pretty nice '36 Ford pickup grille shells to a guy in Iowa for: a Holmes 440 tow truck body with no winch, a 24" DiAcro sheetmetal brake, an old 32" Pexto sheetmetal shear, a broken Clausing drill press, and a Peter Wright anvil. It was the perfect trade, since we both thought we came out on top. I still use the DiAcro brake, sold or traded away the rest.

25. I was a fool. I had a 1955 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer with 63,000 miles on it. I was broke and could not afford a valve job for it. A guy came up with a 1973 Duster and I traded for that because I needed a dependable car to tote my kids around in. The Dodge was pink and black and white and I called it, "Neapolitan". DAMN, I miss that car.... Picture 998.jpg

26. John Fiske

John Fiske

I traded my old Harley for a pretty straight and running 54 Customline. Previously, I traded a 1970 VW for the Harley. Had I known there were so many missing trim peices, I would have asked for some money on top. All in all, it was a pretty good trade...and my wife is happy. 20190624_202737.jpeg 20180923_230215.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G960U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

27. Traded a '68 Triumph Spitfire with a custom frame, 327 sbc, th350 and a Ford 9" for a 1950 Dodge club coupe with a 318. Traded the Dodge for my "T". KIMG0073.jpeg 0309191025.jpg 20190505_203847.jpg

28. Originally paid $850 for the Spitfire as a roller, installed a 327/th350 combo I had in my stash...

29. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Stupid ones after you've released they got the better deal out of it.

30. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

About 25 years ago I traded a slant 6 Mopar head for a 55 Bel-Air roller, it was rusty as hell. Traded the 55 for a running F-100 and a case of Blue Ribbon. Sold the F-100 and bought a junky assed 63 Impala that had a 327 and Muncie 4 speed in it. Took out the drive train out of the Impala and traded the body for a 57 Corvette factory 2X4 intake and correct carbs and 9 rib Vette valve covers. Sold that stuff and pissed the money away. Wish I still had the 327 but it is long gone, did keep the Muncie though.
    I have done many other trades over the years, some times you get the gold mine, sometimes you get the shaft:rolleyes:

Johnny Gee likes this.