Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Soaking an Edelbrock carb

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tin_indians, Jun 8, 2019.

1. tin_indians

tin_indians

I bought a used Edelbrock AFB. I've watched youtube videos on how to clean and they always say "be careful which cleaner you use and refer to the owners manual". Well, I can't find anything on Edelbrocks web site warning you about carb cleaners.
    I have a jug of Castrol Super Clean, but will that discolour my carb? I was planning on soaking it for about 15 minutes then rinsing with hot water and will use compressed air to blow out the passages and dry it.
    Does anyone (in Canada) have recomendations on what they use? I've done other carbs but never an aluminum one.

Thanks,

2. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

I'm betting that will mess with the aluminum. Youd be better off to use a brush and super clean and scrub it piece by piece and THOROUGHLY rinse each part between

3. squirrel

squirrel

I gave up on soaking carbs years ago, the good stuff is kind of expensive, nasty to deal with, and difficult to get rid of. I just use spray cans, and spend time making sure all the passages are clear.

4. It won't hurt the carb itself, but if it has the shiny coating on it will attack that pretty quick. I messed mine up soaking it in that purple stuff.

5. Yamaha used to make a non-harming carb soak that was safe on exterior finishes and rubber parts. Biodegradable too IIRC. They may still make it, but it was expensive...

6. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Super Clean and aluminum...NOoooo.

I just did both an AFB and a WCFB in Berrymans cleaner in the last few weeks for people.
    It used to be a real waste of money, but I took a chance as it's all that's available in SoCal anymore. It worked well without discoloring or harming the metal, while doing a nice job of actually "cleaning"..!

Mike

P.s. - It did do a great job of killing the grass where I washed it off..! Been about two weeks...still dead.

KoolKat-57, loudbang and Deuces like this.
  7. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

I did a Holley in a crockpot full of pinesol last year and they worked well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Droopydogg and deathrowdave like this.
  8. I also use Berryman Carb Cleaner. It stinks but it works well without harming anything. I wash all parts after in hot water and blow all passages clear with compressed air. I wasn't able to buy it in Canada last time I needed a new pail but I ordered it from a parts store in ND and brought it back with me from a trip to the US.

KoolKat-57 and loudbang like this.
  9. wicarnut

wicarnut

I use spray choke cleaner, then spray brake parts cleaner, 100# air compressor spray dry/holes, just make sure all holes are clear. I do not rebuild carbs that have sat for years, just my own current junk, many years ago had that 5 gallon pail with ?? don't recall product, man that worked great, the EPA removed that and many dangerous products for our own good/protection. Apparently not soon enough as in my group of friends/family, very few have not been affected by a cancer of some type.

10. oldolds

oldolds

I never did it, but was always told Pine-Sol was good to soak carbs in.

11. Aaron65

Aaron65
    from Michigan

I sometimes use Pine-Sol in a crockpot. It works OK. Don't leave it too long because it will strip some coatings (it took the gold coating off an old Holley I soaked). With an Edelbrock, I'd probably just use spray cleaner and an air compressor for passages.

12. I used Pinesol to soak an Edelbrock carb . I left the carb in way too long and it took the nice shiny finish off the carb and the cad plating off the linkages and other parts. It was clean though and it smelled pretty good. I think it would have been fine if only soaked for an hour or so

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. Try Awesome products from the Dollar Tree Store. It works well, and rinses right off, then use air to blow dry

14. I've used Pine-Sol on motorcycle carbs, and spray carb cleaner. Compressed air to blow out passages.

15. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I have soaked and cleaned many in Carbon Tet . , that is gone so now it’s the crock pot and Dawn Dish Washing Liquid . After a good Soda Blasting . They look fantastic . Holley ‘s will loose the gold tint , polished parts will loose the shine .

16. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

I wonder if a WD 40 soak would work? That stuff is a pretty good cleaner and deoxidizer.

17. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a heated ultrasonic cleaner, and most often use just water.

If I could find a way to reliably mitigate the shine on an Edelbrock, without doing harm, I would.

18. I use lemon juice and water 20 minutes boiling, works for me............

19. squirrel

squirrel

a light dusting in the bead blaster does wonders, but cleanup can be fun

20. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Berryman's B12 Chemtool was/is my favorite. But now, with 'all the time in the world' (NOT!) I use white vinegar, (short soak, mostly toothbrush and water rinse immediately then air pressure with tiny nozzle)
    Jets are ALWAYS strung onto a 20" length of cotton string, one end tied to the vise and the other stretched with left hand. Right hand on the jet, full length of string vigorous polish, run jet up and down, turning it slightly each stroke. Polish the bores, (DON'T drill/ream them!) Expect a nice idle, smooth fuel atomization, notable if any scale was there. (trust me, that whitish 'wash' will be visible before polishing...)

Truck64 and TrailerTrashToo like this.
  21. Mahty

Mahty

My son just rebuilt a couple carbs and soaked them in Metal Rescue for about 45 min. They were super clean and all the white corrosion and varnish came right off with a toothbrush. Bit pricey, but the finish is perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app