Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Do you have security on your garage/shop?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Jun 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

2. pirate

pirate
    from Alabama

Your instructor was a wise man! No one likes a lowlife or thief but our world has changed. Things people do nowadays would have horrified our parents and grandparents but now are just accepted as a everyday happening.

chryslerfan55 and Old wolf like this.
  3. Good advice from 1946 Caddy ! I advise my friends n family not to put up the gun warnings no matter how fun they are. You know, Protected by Smith n Wesson, Never Mind The Dog Beware Armed Owner, etc. Problem is they tell the thief you have weapons which are what they are after since easily sold. Makes your home a target.
    By the way, very cool handle 1946Caddy !

Hombre and chryslerfan55 like this.
  4. X-cpe

X-cpe

But I don't want them using my rope to do it.

Old wolf likes this.
  5. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

Helps when you own a 46 caddy :)

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  6. Read my post. If you commit a justified shooting. there will be a investigation. During which time you will be a suspect. and you will be treated like a criminal. even if ultimately you are dertemined to be justified in your actions. Even a cop when involved in a shooting Is disarmed put on leave until the entire ordeal is investigated. I will tell you one story. There where vicious dogs that frequented a state park. The park super is a female who was afread of those dogs. A state trooper was called. When he arrived a dog came after him. So he simply drew his revolver and shot it dead. And he wound up in deep trouble. He killed poor ole innocent Fido. like to lost his job. Only kept his job by being reassigned and taking a demotion. He had to pay restitioun to the dogs owner. He shot the dog on the state highway right of way. Its legal for dogs to roam the right of way. So a short time later a Rottweller is roaming the swim beach at my eldest sons park. stealing folks hot dogs. growling and causing problems. Its against the law to have a dog in the state parks unless they are on a lead. and no dogs allowed on the swim beach period. So my son who is the Super and a lawyer to boot. and his park ranger. Go and see the dog. and catch it with one of those poles with a rope. It bit the rope into jumped up and bit my son on the hand. Here he is on the ground a 100 pound Rott latched on his hand. He want to draw his gun and kill it. but he has about 200 potential dog loving spectators watching. He likes his job and wants to keep it. Then he remembered how I stopped wild mustangs from biting. He grabbed that dogs tongue and tried to pull it out by the roots. the dog let go and was subdued and put in a dog carrier. my son had deep puncture wounds that required medical care. and they had to keep the dog till the period to determine if it has rabies was past. It went to dog heaven and its owner was never determined.

7. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

hey, soldiers in combat zones get in deep poop when committing an act that is determined to be outside the regulations pertaining to such action. as a citizen we all have rights but, must exercise them within the regulations that we all must live by. there are always circumstances that are outside what is specified in the rules. that is why we have a judicial system - courts decide the right and wrong of what may have occurred. to me all of this is way outside what this site is here for. some of this stuff has been argued since the beginning of time. yep, we all want/need to protect our loved ones & property, etc. there are many basic ways to do, especially with all of the resources available to us in this "modern" world. be safe at home, and out on the road - remember, ya gotta drive-em

chryslerfan55, Old wolf and Deuces like this.
  8. Budget36

Budget36

I leave things a mess. Figure if they can navigate through it, they can have it.

FFS, took me 20 minutes to find my lawnmower today.

My luck the thieving bastiges will sue me when they break an ankle carrying something out!

9. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

First of all, let me state that I'm an NRA member and a defender of the 2nd Amendment who owns many guns and also a CCWP.. I carry almost all the time except where it is illegal, such as gov., bldgs., banks, and the like. I'm too old to fight, too crippled to run and too proud to be abused by others without a fight. But that isn't the original subject of this thread! The thread was originally. about shop security.
    I disagree with the premise that having your shop in a good neighborhood helps. My home is in one of the better areas in this town and I have been a theft victim several times, once in the broad daylight when a "porch pirate" stole a UPS delivery of a case of Amsoil off my front stoop, almost 200' from the road!
    My shop is about 1 1/2 miles away on "the other side of the tracks" in an older neighborhood now considered as "Inna Hood". Zoning wouldn't allow a shop like mine in my home area, and neither would practicalities as relates to topography.
    I bought the building in 1986 and have been there since with legitimate business enterprises plus my hobby stuff with hot rods. Now, at 81 1/2 I'm retired and it's strictly a hot rod shop for myself and my son.
    I have had a couple of break ins but have hardened things till it's gonna take a sledge hammer busting thru concrete blocks to get in as all entry points are set up with trigger switches and steel bars. If they still get in, there are motion detector sensors which are so sensitive that a spider web waving in a stray breeze or a mouse running across the floor will set them off. Triggering any of these devices sends a message via a dedicated cell phone to a monitoring service which alerts both myself and the police, plus an audible alarm.
    But I still don't leave the key in my hot rods:)

10. mountainman2

mountainman2

Even if you are not charged criminally, even successfully defending yourself from a civil suit brought by a victim of your actions or his family will cost you more $$$ than you ever imagined. Oh, you are going to counter-sue for lawyers fees and expenses??? The lowlife and his family are likely judgement proof!
    Interesting read: usconcealedcarry.com/blog/the-flip-side-of-self-defense/

Old wolf, Deuces and chryslerfan55 like this.
  11. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

Yes. My garage is tied into the house security system.

As for the gun posts that inevitably show up in these discussions, unless you're hiding in your garage 24/7 waiting for burglars and never leave the property, it's kind of a silly response.

Old wolf, Hombre and chryslerfan55 like this.
  12. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

Are you speaking from experience or just mimicking something you read.

13. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

Stuff is just stuff. Do I enjoy my stuff you can bet your ass I do! Will I actually kill someone over my stuff probably not! Will I protect my family to the bitter end you can bet your ass! Will I divulge to anyone how I protect my stuff or my family? You can bet your ass I won't. But rest assured it is all protected in some way! Bet your ass it is! Joe

Sent from my XT1710-02 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

15. mountainman2

mountainman2

Experience, but not gun related. Won the civil suit brought against me but monetarily it was a wash. Amount was not anything near what a wrongful death case would be but attorney fees put a big dent in budget for a long while.
    My point is, that if a life is in real danger, I would not hesitate to send him to his maker and deal with the fallout later. However, I will not jeopardize my financial security (or possibly my freedom) over a rusty fender behind my shop.
    .....And I don't mimic.

Old wolf, Deuces and chryslerfan55 like this.
  16. indyjps

indyjps

Steel door, steel frame, Expensive lock, 1 window 8 feet off the ground (yes it is inconvenient to open for airflow)
    I dont open the doors for hours for everyone to see. I crack the rollup 2 feet and run fans and buy good lighting.
    I dont have anything outside to signify what's inside. Just a grey metal building sitting there.

49ratfink, Deuces and chryslerfan55 like this.
  17. brasscarguy

brasscarguy
    from seattle

Recently moved to a new home and shops. Had a security guy come by to giv me a a quote for home and the 3 shop buildings. I have a 300 foot long driveway before you even can see the house and shops.

He had a number of suggestions and 1 really sounds very interesting. My 300 foot driveway is1 lane wide and up by the house is a power pole. He suggested to put a strobe light on the pole facing down the driveway. Hooked to the alarm system with a sensor 200 feet down the driveway. Once the sensor signal is broken the bright strobe light flashes lust like a flash camera. This also takes a hi def video of the front of the vehicle. They have to back out of the drive and the video takes a nice long clear video of the license plate and car. This camera is so clear you can see the faces of the occupant in the car. All this video is stored on the cloud. It is a deterrent but should make them stop and leave rather quickly.

just sayin,

brasscarguy

Deuces and chryslerfan55 like this.
  18. Hombre

Hombre

Lots of good posts in this thread. A lot of them make a lot of sense, some of them make no sense what so ever. In the end everyone of us needs to decide before that bad thing happens what they are and are not willing to do. I will speak only for myself- I am not willing to shot or kill anyone for or over "Stuff"
    If my family is at stake then Katy bar the damn door, there are no extremes I will not go to for them NONE. But Stuff, man I can get more stuff.

I have worked hard for everything I have, I am proud of it, and want to keep it. I will go a long way to keep it. Shooting some cat and snatching the life out of him over some tools are parts, that I am not willing to do. The idea about shooting some cat with a .22 in the butte is a bad idea. That law suit goes on for a long time, and you almost always will lose in the end. That butte cripple showing up in court on his walker or cane or crutches gains just to much sympathy from a jury if it goes that far.

Old wolf and chryslerfan55 like this.
  19. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've got nothing in my shop or out in the yard worth shooting someone over. I sat here and tallied up the gun collection this morning it's large enough to cause a libtard news reporter to have a stroke but if our lives aren't at risk I'm not shooting at anyone because they are packing something off.
    That said this Heeler / chihuahua mix over here on the couch can hear a rabbit walk across the driveway at 80 ft and most any vehicle that stops on the road 400 ft away. The lab doesn't get up until the little dog calls for backup but she can and will make you shake in your boots when she barks at you at night. That doesn't mean that I am going to step out the door without the 590 or something that goes bang in my hand though. I'm just not going to shoot someone who isn't a threat.

Rule 1 of shop security. NEVER FRIGGING SHOW WHAT YOU HAVE ON THE DAMNED INTERNET the "oh look at my tools in my shop" is nonsense.
    Rule 2 never mention what you have where strangers may listen in such as at the local cafe when having coffee with the gang or at the parts house.
    Rule 3 and probably most important. Never let strangers you don't know or who are not endorsed by people you associate with daily in your shop unless it is an actual place of business. That guy might be innocent but may have a big frigging mouth and like to brag about what he saw in the wrong places to the wrong people.

I like the idea of that surveillance system that was mentioned earlier.
    Reinforcement behind the walls of metal buildings. I know of at least three shops around here that were broken into by removing the screws in the metal on the back all of the shop.
    Locks and or bars on the inside of any doors as suggested before. That walk though on the back side of the shop that you only use to go out to take a leak needs a solid bar on the inside.
    I like the idea of only a dead bolt lock on the main entrance door rather than having the knob having a lock.
    Bars on the windows either on he inside or the outside.

20. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Motions, noise, alarm and thankfully I live in a "make my day" county.

Years ago when I first moved in I had one of the deputies stop by to see who was moving around in this once empty house, I introduced myself and we began to bs. It was originally my parents home and I bought it and it was known at night you honk then wait for the outside light to come on before getting out of your car or be greeted by a 44 mag.

Anyway cop told me shoot once and shoot to kill, said thru the years seen perps get shot only to sue the home owners and win, with some home owners losing everything including their house.

If you break in, if I'm home just know I'm armed. Some above say it's only stuff and while I agree the fact is the thief made the choice between bodily harm and stuff on their own the minute they break in so I'm more than happy to accommodate their personal choice.

30 yrs ago try breaking into any farm around here and you'd be met with 12 gauge and 00 bucks shot, break ins were something of rarity, now with people afraid to protect their property break ins are common.

21. I ain't sayin nuthin...

22. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I see what your getting at but you need to think that maybe not everybody that knows each other or about each other maybe on here or other social sites are buddy buddies. To give out specifics is not on average the best idea.

23. wicarnut

wicarnut

Yes and like most Wisconsin old timers, carry permit. I'm now 71 years old and IMO It's a sad statement on our society how things have turned to crap. I grew up in the city and even then the house/garage was only locked when leaving. I moved to suburbs, then the country and for 20+ years never locked anything, left keys in cars, etc. well that also changed in time, I can't imagine what it'll be like in another 20/30/40 years, can't believe the Shit that's going on now, "It Is What It Is" I worry for my grandchildren, great grandchildren.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
    Hombre and Deuces like this.
  24. Pats55

Pats55
    from NJ

I had been putting off getting an alarm since I moved in this place. For years I rode by this big garage in the woods. I often wondered what the hell is that garage doing in in the woods all by itself. Every time I rode by this garage I would think I love to have that big garage I can ruin things all day long. Years went by and my friend, a realtor called me. I got the perfect place for you it's a big house 5 acres, trout stream and garage for your cars.It was an estate sale I wound up buying the place for a song. The garage in the woods belonged to this house. Funny how life goes sometimes. Well tomorrow I'll have security put in and I will not leave my keys in the cars anymore I do have a gun and a backhoe Thanks guys

Hombre, dirty old man and Deuces like this.
  25. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

My son and I installed security cameras around our home. We hard wired them cause the wifi tends to skip and shutdown from time to time. Not a month later the police showed up at the door wanting to see footage from one camera as my neighbours house was robbed during the day. One thing people neglect to do is put a password on their security systems. They use the default password that comes with the systems and people can hack into their systems using that default password and see everything going on around your home. I never leave the keys in my car and I actually have a master battery shutoff and turn the power off to my car when I'm leaving it in the garage. This might sound like a pain till I saw a classic car burn down a whole house on the next block from my home due to an electric fire in the car.

26. It been mentioned that if you harm some thief that you could end up in a civil suit. Times have changed. if you have a jury trial. the lawyers get to pick the jurors. so folks not smart enough to avoid jury duty get to decide your fate. And it seems nowadays the prevalent core concept among low life thieves is their victins have more than their ( Fair Share? )and are greedy and evil and it OK to take their stuff. and there will likely be members of your jury with that mindset. Back when I was driving truck and my wife was working answering the phone at her job. When the Peterbuilt wasn't parked here and Debbie answered the Phone at her job. The thieves knew there wasn't anyone home. They stole every tilt collum from the square cab trucks. several steering sectors and power steering pumps ect. and plenty of other stuff . I think I know who the culprits where. However I didn't even call the Law. Its all part of having stuff only them that has it can lose it. And I don't have any neighbors for a 1/4 mile. But Im on a busy Hwy intersection. over at my other place sometime in the last year someone stole the Hyd Pump and controls from my 1949 D4 7U cat. dozer. I didn't notice until I uncovered it one day. You cant stop thieves entirely unless you don't have anything.

27. gas & guns

gas & guns

I will use GAS AND GUNS in no particular order.

But seriously, we all say what we would do if we caught someone. Truth is most won't shoot over a hubcap.
    But then there is times when you have had a shitty day or week or year.
    Don't be the straw that broke the camels back.

Old wolf likes this.
  28. Had a buddy with a garage in a lane way in down town Toronto
    Garage got broken into repeatedly. Big lock, lights, signs no matter.
    After the last time it got broke into he stuck a screw driver in the pad lick latch and said “ fuck it, not worth loosing stuff and having to buy a lick and fix the door, let them take it if the want !”
    Never got broken into again as it looked like nothing of value was in the garage to begin with.

I got camera , alarm and “beware of dog” signs around my place.

Not much theft, other then meth heads breaking into cars for money or electronics, can’t be bothered with tools or car, they want easy money to get there next fix.

6CB84B16-520D-4660-83AB-4E5D467C4A19.jpeg

My buddy who is still single and lives in his shop with his cars and collection
    Had one of these he calls beauty, as he says “ she’s an old girl but still fires true with a rage only a woman can have !!”

29. barrnone50

barrnone50
    from texas

30. ems customer service

ems customer service

the biggest loop hole in security doors. is that the door jamb is not reenforced, that steel column may seem tough, but either wood usually a 2x4 fit good or concrete needs to be put inside the steel jamb frame other wise a simple crow bar can crush the door jamb

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.