Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Want to break my door lock

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by radarsonwheels, Jun 8, 2019.

1. radarsonwheels

radarsonwheels
    from Philly

Howdy HAMB

I have a 54 dodge pickup. It has the door locks where you push the inside handle forward to lock them. Apparently back in the 50s people didn’t exit on the traffic side so there is only a keyhole on the passenger side. It’s a cute little keyhole with a swinging chrome or stainless cover.

The more I drive the truck the more I find myself wishing I could lock the cab so I can leave tools or a dufflebag in there and not have to get a seat in a restaurant where I can see it.

Locks are only for honest people and idiots- you could push open a vent window and reach the inside handle to unlock the truck but the kind of punk I want to dissuade isn’t a 50’s car expert and I’m not leaving stacks of benjis or full snapon toolkits overnight.

So here’s the question- can anybody tell me how to gut my lock so that basically any key or screwdriver can twist it open? Just the appearance of unlocking it without reaching in the vent window would be good enough for me. I would prefer to drill it or break it without disassembly- they’re hard to get out of these models.

Thanks!
    Radar

2. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

Why don't you get a key for it, instead of breaking it?

3. radarsonwheels

radarsonwheels
    from Philly

I didn’t think a locksmith would be able to make a key for a rare old truck and I don’t really care about needing to be the right key for it.

I’ve had a few different older japanese motorcycles with gas tank latches that took a key but basically any key would work. Always seemed convenient and like I said locks only keep out honest people anyway- I just want a little appearance of locked with frozen outside latches to confound the average punk thief.

4. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

I tried to drill out the lock on an old POS recently. Trust me, its a hell of a lot easier to call a locksmith!. Good Luck

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  5. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Let me get this straight.
    You want to lock the truck but not lock it even though you would like to lock it which means destroying the lock so it will not lock but can be unlocked with a screwdriver?

6. Dixon Bastie

Dixon Bastie

7. Dixon Bastie

Dixon Bastie

This will be of little help to you, but me leaving my 90 pound pure-bred Black Labrador in the front seat of my cars when I'm in a restaurant seems to work well as security.
    The steak bone I bring out to him when we leave seems to keep him interested in his work, and no one screws with my cars.

8. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

on many old rides with only keyed passenger side door lock can use a passenger handle on drivers side - of course, depends on design of handle if will look OK

9. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

We have a lock shop downtown that's been in business for many many years. I guarantee they could fix you up. Over the years I've taken some crazy stuff to them.
    Otherwise you'll have the Mister Bean route with a screwed on padlock.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  10. A real older locksmith should be able to make a key for it in 20min. I have personally seen it done.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  11. :rolleyes:
    45382593-90DA-4537-9813-C3C12C1CF421.gif
    That right there is poetry!!!! Lol

Not sure where your st but people here get there windows broke for this.
    Police called, fire dept and arrested.
    Your almost better off leaving your grandma in the car then a pet.

54vicky and clem like this.
  12. 61 Sunliner

61 Sunliner

Many years ago I had keys made for my 65 Mustang by a locksmith by impressioning . They polish up the face of the blank key put it in the lock move it around take a look at it and file a bit and repeat until it works. Did the door and trunk lock that way.
    Mike

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  13. TRENDZ

TRENDZ

Take the lock cylinder out, dump the tumblers in the garbage, and put it back together.

14. G-son

G-son
    from Sweden

How about a central locking system? Not quite HAMB-approved perhaps, but locking/unlocking both doors with a remote seems more secure than what you talk about.

15. radarsonwheels

radarsonwheels
    from Philly

I’m really only trying to foil the thief that just tries the handle and moves on to an easier target. Like I said locks are only for honest people. Did you ever see a fancy house with a super expensive hard to pick deadbolt and a row of windows on either side of the door?

16. radarsonwheels

radarsonwheels
    from Philly

I think Trendz has the best option. If I can get the lock out (secured by tiny 70 year old set screw) that’s what I’ll do. If not I’ll probably drill the parting line so the pins all fall down, pick them all out, and it will be a universal key like I want.

17. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

It's really pretty simple. Either have a locksmith make a new key. This can be expensive depending on their fee.
    The second option is to disassemble the door guts, pull the lock cylinder out and replace with with a new cylinder and key.
    You can get matching door/ ignition switch keys and cylinders. I know these are available for that period Mopar NOS. A quick internet search will reveal many suppliers.

lothiandon1940 and dirty old man like this.
  18. Not sure how the lock cylinder is secured in your door, but penetrant, and/or localized heat, should be able to free up the bolt that holds it. That would be the biggest part of the battle. I had a key made for my coupe lock, and to my surprise the blank she used was a Briggs & Stratton one. I'm sure that a decent locksmith could help you out.

radarsonwheels likes this.
  19. Dixon Bastie

Dixon Bastie

RMONTY likes this.
  20. 6sally6

6sally6

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    WOW!!!!!!.........touchy.
    6sally6

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  21. Budget36

Budget36

Carry a spare brick and extra side glass. Many will fit in the bed of the truck.

Easy enough.

54vicky likes this.
  22. Old joke...

"Would you hit a lady with a baby?" :confused:

"No. I'd hit her with a ball bat!" :p

23. clem

clem

Like others have said, a locksmith would be easiest solution.

24. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Calm Down Francis ! All will be OK , I have to say I was thinkin the same thing , but never made any remarks . Im sure nothing was personal about the comment . Now about door lock remove the tumbler pins as suggested , or what I did for years was leave the vent wing on the drivers door unlatched , open the wing and unlock the or lock the door as you wish . Remember a lock is only for an honest person to use .

25. 41fred207

41fred207

Does the glove box lock? If so remove the locking cylinder from it, usually pretty easy and much easier than gutting the one from door. Then take that cylinder to your locksmith for a key to be made, should be the same as door or trunk.

26. radarsonwheels

radarsonwheels
    from Philly

Thanks man the only original lock is on the passenger door. The ignition key I put in there and the glovebox has a twist knob with a tab inside- works great but no lock. I actually have all my off topic gauges inside there so when it’s closed the truck looks right inside.

I’ll see if the cyl comes out- it would be snazzy to have an actual key but like I said I don’t really care.

27. There's a code stamped or printed on the lock. There is a set screw holding lock on door. Take lock to a locksmith. When I was in the business I charged $ 12.50 for first key.

28. gene-koning

gene-koning

You could buy a new lock and key off ebay, drill a hole in the correct location and install a lock in the drivers door. The driver door lock was an option by the very early 50s on the Dodge trucks. Gene

29. Buy a pair keyed alike and install in both doors.