Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical UPDATE - Pulling to the right when braking

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, May 19, 2019.

1. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

This is a huge problem. I spec'd and stated at the parts counter this is what I'm after. They show me either the computer screen and book and yes it show OEM size. But what I was shown was totally different. I've for a long time now refuse to do brakes for anyone because of this issue.

2. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

3. A Boner

A Boner

Good thing it doesn't pull to the left....if you get my drift!

4. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

sounds like the last sidecar outfit I drove.trottle on pulled right ,apply brakes went left scary in an emergency

Deuces likes this.
  5. spanners

spanners

He's probably got it set up that way intentionally so when he touches the brake it automatically turns into a burger joint.

6. TANNERGANG

TANNERGANG
    BANNED
    from alabama

Wheel bearing loose or going bad can cause this pulling problem also....

7. I thought it was the hose right off. If it pulls to the right, it will be the left hose, since that side is not working.

8. catdad49

catdad49

Great job, young man. The HAMB strikes again!

OLSKOOL57 and Deuces like this.
  9. X-cpe

X-cpe

A fresh blade in the utility knife is all that is between you and conformation. If there is a metal bracket wrapped around the middle of the hose start there.

RICH B and harpo1313 like this.
  10. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

11. mark latham

mark latham

I was watching this thread because it described my issue perfectly. When Danny confirmed that the brake line fixed it I ordered new lines for my car and tonight I finally got a chance to put them on. The car no longer pulls under heavy braking and while it might just be in my head I feel like the car coasts more freely when I lift off the throttle. Maybe the hoses were also restricting the pressure from releasing? Or it could just be my imagination.

12. I will repeat myself, on May 25th

I removing both front brake line hoses & replaced them, I got my daughter to pump the brakes while I bled them.

After lunch it was time to drive the car around the neighborhood and so far so good, I eased out in the main road and got the car up to about 55 MPH and tried a panic stop, no pull what so ever.

I repeated the stop a couple of times and got the same results, I can't say for certain the hoses were the problem but they ended up being the solution.

It could have been a combination of several different things but all I can say is the brakes are working better than ever. HRP

OLSKOOL57 and dana barlow like this.
  13. mark latham

mark latham

I guess what I was trying to say, poorly, was your success with replacing both front brake hoses led to me replacing my front brake hoses and my brakes are working better than ever also so thank you for not only posting your brake issue but then coming back and letting us know what fixed it. Too many threads get started and we never find out what the solution was.

14. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I didn't want to clutter the thread until you got results, but my car has pulled to the right ever since I put it together. Like yours, it only does it on hard stops. But the difference is, mine holds pressure on the right side, so much in fact that after a while of driving, you have to bleed it off or the wheel will try to lock up. I used all new lines, hard line and stainless flex AN line and fittings from Speedway when I built the braking system. I have adjusted the shoes, no difference. No contaminates on the shoes or drums. Brand new US made wheel cylinders from NAPA.

I'm wondering if mine is a flex hose, or maybe a bad wheel cylinder. Going to have to look at it closer when I get it driving again.

15. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

New means nothing anymore.

16. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

The hose construction was explained to me 35 plus years ago, as having a liner inside. When the liner seperates from the outer hose, it allows the pressure to become trapped, basically squeezing itself shut when braking pressure is applied. Now, could that same construction cause a hose to not pass enough fluid, thereby causing a pull to one side?

17. primed34

primed34

You got that right. I chased my tail for a year on a brake problem on my coupe before I found out the new wheel cylinders where absolute POS.

18. Bama Mav........check your new hard lines to make sure there are no hard to see kinks at the bends.
    quote "my car has pulled to the right ever since I put it together."