Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Those goddamned "30 minute jobs" that aren't

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NAES, Jun 5, 2019.

1. Fucken right!!
    I can’t afford myself and that’s why my stuff ain’t done. Pisses me right off I’ll tell ya.

2. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

I spend 5 minutes thinking about doing the job

'51 Norm and catdad49 like this.
  3. Terrible80

Terrible80

Been looking for my circular saw for 2 weeks.

RMR&C, '51 Norm and catdad49 like this.
  4. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

My wife doesn't believe me when I say it'll be a fast project. She groups them by "half day" and "all day".

5. davidvillajr

davidvillajr

"Ok....where.....where...where's that washer I JUST had?"

"9/16 socket....hmmm.....where....where'd it go?"

Yep 30 min.

catdad49 and olscrounger like this.
  6. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I think what worse is working for a guy that thinks everything is a 15 minute job even if it's a 3 hour job.

wicarnut, das858 and catdad49 like this.
  7. My favorite experience is getting a job done in 30 mins, then looking around on the garage floor or work bench , only to notice a part that should have gone on first before the other 9 parts did. :mad:

safetythird, WB69, RMR&C and 3 others like this.
  8. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

I figure the average 5 minute job like this: 6 or 7 minutes to figure out which tools I'll need, 12 to 14 minutes to find those tools, 7 to 10 minutes to move crap to get to said project, another 12 to 15 minutes to do the job, back to 6 to 8 minutes to put the crap back in place and then 5 minutes to throw the tools up some place to find for next project.

Then and THIS is the best part, 6 minutes to stand back and admire my handy work only to realize I forgot to install the Damn needed snap ring! Sooo... Ok where did I lay those tools again ?

9. '51 Norm

'51 Norm
    from colorado

I tend to find my missing tools at my son's house across town.

WB69 and catdad49 like this.
  10. Terrible80

Terrible80

I questioned the little creep and he swore he returned it. Lol!

Sent from my LG-TP450 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

Went to move a light switch in my kitchen, was on hinge side of door. Could not change door swing as it would have hit table. switch fed off light, had to open ceiling to put in longer wire. Found the ceiling was doubled up, some prior person had put a second one under the original, tore both out. Found the wiring in the ceiling was still knob and tube. Rewired circuit, put in 6 pot lights as long as it was open,
    mover the switch. Replaced ceiling. When I turned the new lights on it really showed how bad the avocado green countertop looked. Tore countertop out, installed new counters and sink/faucet. Damn the cabinets now looked bad, refaced them, new hinges and handles.
    Looked at the floor and decided to move to the other side.

wicarnut and catdad49 like this.
  12. graveyardsledder

graveyardsledder

My wife has my time frames memorized. When she asks when I’ll be done with something.

5 mins= up too but not longer than 30mins

30 mins= from 1-2 hours

My favorite is “almost done”= it could be anywhere from 5-7 hours! Might as well through throw the day out the window.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

13. Watch your fucking language bro,kids around.

14. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Then you can't forget the three hour clean up that you need to do after tearing your shop all to hell finding everything you needed to do the fifteen minute job that you spent most of the day doing.

wicarnut likes this.
  15. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

When I was younger I didn't mind helping out friends on their cars after an eight hour day at my real job, What they would usually say was it will only take a couple of minutes....If that was true why didn't they do it themselves ? Older and wiser now, I only tinker on my own shit after work now.:rolleyes:

16. if your at the 5 min mark= maybe seek a NASA job!

17. Slopok

Slopok

If it takes you longer than 5 minutes to do anything you're doin' it wrong, the guy on the assembly line never had that much time!o_O

18. SS327

SS327

When I was young all jobs were 5 minutes. Now that I am old 10 years later and I still haven't finished the projects I started!

Denny

19. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I am glad I am not the only one it happens to,the older I get the longer it takes to to everything.

20. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Didn't know that there was such a thing as a 5 minute job. Like others said already, it ends up fixing or detailing something else while I'm at it.
    Definitely been there! Too many times to count. Just happened 2 days ago.

21. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Didn't know that there was such a thing as a 5 minute job. Like others said already, it ends up fixing or detailing something else while I'm at it.

22. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

I finally solved that problem, just started buying him his own. Birthdays, Christmas, etc.

23. X-cpe

X-cpe

Just because they get used to it doesn't mean they like it.

24. indyjps

indyjps

I understand, managed tool and die for 8 years, very talented, very tempermental group. Also had repair welders, how many times can you tell someone its not OK to set your co workers pant leg on fire while hes concentrating on a tig weld. Started walking that guy out the door.

wicarnut likes this.
  25. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I shocked myself the other day by actually finishing a small project in the amount of time it should have taken. 40 years ago that was the norm and now it takes longer to find what I need for the project than to do it some times.
    Outside of knees that tend to get tired long before the rest of me I have adult A D D and have a hard time staying on task and not getting distracted. Pretty much like the dog in the comics "OH Squirrel" and off I go doing something totally unrelated to the task I was doing. Stuff gets done, just not what I was supposed to be doing.

VANDENPLAS and wicarnut like this.
  26. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

I swear that the time I think a job will take is accurate, at least it would have been right 50 years ago, now it is anyone's guess how long it will take! :rolleyes:

27. wicarnut

wicarnut

Your story reminds of my ( old, money pit ) charming house in the country I purchased 39 years ago, sold 9 years ago. We decided to update kitchen some first, new flooring, realized cabinets looked bad, new doors/drawers, hardware, reface framing, countertop. sink, plumbing, add some custom cabinetry, lighting, you get the picture, complete redmodel, Wow, turned out great, BUT now rest of downstairs looked awful, Ok room by room, redo entire downstairs, Wow ! looks great, go upstairs to bedrooms, same Shit, looked terrible, So..... 4/5+ years and approx 60/70K ??? + K later, did majority ourselves, jobed out some, house was nice, including, rewiring, new plumbing, heating system, well, septic, relandscaped, etc. I did suggest to all of my kids, Don't buy an old house. All of my kids purchased/built new homes, probably because after living in the mess and listening to me bitching, the stress level involved, decided they didn't want the fun of a partial/total remodel. Girls married guys that were not DIY type, Sons interested in only minor DIY. Funny none of them are in the car Hobby, they all drive new stuff, So thinking my pleasant demeanor working on my cars/racers probably influenced that also. LOL

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
  28. oldbanger71

oldbanger71

The 5 minut Jobs mulitply when one has several cars...... I take the 32 Roadster to the Shop since the light stopped working, quick fix.... Leave it there because it's late for supper and the kid need to go to beed... Take the other car to go home... Shit there is a puddle of liquid on the floor, quick fix, right? Finaly comming home manny houer later... Kid fell a sleep on the rumbleseat, too late to eat. Wife has gone to bed......Dinner crumbled to black something in the oven.

Little note on the table: Dinner in the oven. Enjoy. Please bring kid to school and make sure it had a good healthy breakfast, no Problem for you, takes only 5 minutes!
    Your dear Wife.

lumpy 63 and wicarnut like this.
  29. Good, fast, and cheap, you can have two, but not all three. If it’s good and cheap, it won’t be fast. If it’s fast and cheap, it won’t be good!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

30. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Ok , so here it is Sunday afternoon been working at the shop all day ,came home decided to change the oil my daily driver 56 PU....Pulled the drain plug and it felt a little funny coming out....you guessed it the SOB is stripped:mad: need to drive it to work tomorrow so the wife is on her way to Oriellys for a cheesy oversize drain plug. So much for that 30 minute job. Oh well , think I'll put the 406 out of the 37 in it as its getting kinda tired anyhow:cool: