Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical HEI crossfire GM style distributor cap

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Jun 3, 2019.

1. Never had a problem in the past 30 plus years but I am going to get the one my friend Merlin offered me, I'll stow it under the back seat. HRP

3W JOHN likes this.
  2. Slopok

Slopok

I sure hope that you do have problems 30 years from now, I hope that we all do!:D

3W JOHN likes this.
  3. Me and you both.:D HRP

3W JOHN and Slopok like this.
  4. Seepwater

Seepwater

You should have ordered two caps so you could have one in the trunk.

3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  5. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I know it’s not car related , but I have a malfunctioning electronic ignition , not light the wick on a kicker Harley . You will say more Potty Words than a Marine on a sail boat , trying to get it pop off . I have also had electronic ignition cause it to light 1/2 way through the stroke and jam your knee into your Adams Apple . I know they are far better in technology, and high power spark , but the old points and condenser just keep working , so it works don’t try to fix it . KISS , is what an old wise man told me many years ago . Keep It Simple Stupid and all will be well for many a mile to come .

6. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I did that one time years ago with a VW we off roaded a lot. We had one get cracked and was letting water get in, went to get the replacement out from under the rear seat, it had gotten broken in two when somebody sat back there. Had to duct tape the original one to get back home, it held up!

7. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

Danny, get that one Harry has for a spare.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  8. I plan on having a extra cap if this should ever happen again, I'll get the one Harry offered me. HRP

OLSKOOL57 likes this.
  9. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

I understand why people use the crossfire caps ( all the wires for one side of the engine come out of one side of the engine) so the engine looks cleaner, but having to order a replacement cap is a pain in the ass. A normal HEI cap any good parts store will have in stock

10. Very true, back when I used the crossfire cap 30 plus years ago I was concerned about making the engine look good, that kinda went out the window shortly there after, nothing pretty about the engine and I never show it off.

Had I not installed new plug wires a couple of years ago I would have converted it back to the original GM configuration. HRP

OLSKOOL57 likes this.
  11. I just drove the car back home from Dave's and it ran great, I'm ready to rack up some more miles. HRP

OLSKOOL57 likes this.
  12. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

I can understand not wanting to change the cap because of a new set of wires

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  13. 47ragtop

47ragtop

Just for laughs, I checked the local Auto Zone store and they have point style SBC distributor caps , crappy unitized point sets and coils in stock but NO rotor. So going old school might not have worked any way. Later Bill

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  14. While I was checking things out, I got them to check my module and it checked out fine, but I thought I would replace it since it has a lot of age on it, he pulled a new one of the shelf and it tested bad, he pulled a second one and it too tested bad. HRP