Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Bringing a classic from Canada to US

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrodzmartin, Jun 6, 2019.

1. hotrodzmartin

hotrodzmartin

Hello:

I have an eye on a pretty cool classic that is located in Mississauga, ON, Canada, and I am in TX.

From little researched I have done, it seems that bringing an antique vehicle from Canada across the border is not a big deal if one can do it himself; however, I cannot do that at this time.

Does anyone know any solid and fair (price) transporter who could assist me with bringing the car from ON to TX. I guess they will have to have experience with customs at the crossing as well.

Any input/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Martin

2. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

First off hat year vehicle ? Certain years had to have the factory emissions sticker or you had to bond it. Like say a Chevelle, Vette, etc. Look up the Customs criteria for Canada and the states. Google International car carriers and see what pops up. Googling brokers may give you some additional information. Laws change , what was required ten years ago, may be different to date. Also, there are transporters on here (hamb o'dex. Send them an email/ pm and see what they say and wether they can cross the border.

3. hotrodzmartin

hotrodzmartin

Thank you for your reply....it is 1974 Fiat...something little different. I did googled bunch of international transporters and brokers, but I wanted to see if someone here has a good personal experience with any company they would recommend.

4. 4wd1936

4wd1936
    from NY

Because of some of our wonderful new regulations a lot of our companies here in the states can't/won't go into Canada, remember that when you are voting next time. PotatoTruck is correct, TFX International is a good company, this is what they do and they do it well but there is bunch of paperwork to you to fill out and send/email/fax back to them. They did a 31 for me back in the Spring and they also took it to Canada 10 years ago when I first sold it. That one was about $2k Their number is 416-243-8531 or tfxinternational.com All nice folks that I dealt with. Good luck.

5. FWIW anything over 25 years old is exempt from all DOT and EPA regs so you won't need any emissions tags or waivers or anything. I imported a bike a couple years ago and had no issues bringing it over the border. As long as the correct forms are filled out and you can prove how old it is, you're good to go.

6. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

If the seller can get it to Detroit or Port Huron, I know someone who can pick it up and bring to Tx. Seller can bring to my house and then transported to you. I'm about 2.5-3 hrs. from seller.

7. hotrodzmartin

hotrodzmartin

Thank you guys for your replies and comments. I appreciate it! I have contacted TFX and waiting for a quote.

Paul55 - sent you a PM.

Thank you.

8. shopdawg

shopdawg
    from alberta

You do realize that Ontario is the rust belt of Canada.

9. AND A 1974 FIAT IS NOT A CLASSIC<AND DOUBT IT EVER WILL BE..this forum is for the use of folks with cars up to 1965...READ DAMMIT READ

10. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Canadia? Where is this "Canadia" you speak of? :cool:

11. chrisp

chrisp

I work in a restauration shop and the bulk of the project we're doing as shifted to mid 60's to mid 70's occasionally a post war car from the 40's or 50's but no longer pre war...

12. All of what you say here is good,but if you read the rules of the HAMB,Ryan (the owner of this forum)
    has stated the years of vehicles he wants covered here..that is what we follow here.not what YOU work on.

13. chrisp

chrisp

I agree with you but I was answering to your statement. What your calling a classic is changing.
    At work I call them modern cars and I don't care a bit about them.
    The op could have stated a '64 thingamabob. The import problem is the same.

14. Gman0046

Gman0046

Bought a car registered in Canada from a Canadian who was attending a car show in the US. He entered the US with no intention of selling the car. Went to my local County Clerks Office in Kentucky to register it. They wouldn't register it because I had no inspection documentation from US Customs. Fortunately the International Airport in Louisville, Kentucky has a US Customs office who inspected the car and issued the documents I needed. Don't know what I would have done if there wasn't a US Customs office near by. Make sure you have the car inspected by US Customs at what ever border crossing it goes through.