Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 35 wire wheel support

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by choppedtudor, Jun 7, 2019.

Tags:
  1. choppedtudor

choppedtudor

I'm running '35 wires on my 31 sedan and have later (buick) drums...I totally understand the concept of using "support rings" behind the wheel to get full contact when tightening the lugs, but when looking closely at the rear mounting surface of the wheel I see the lug area is slightly recessed and the "ring" touches the center section which produces distortion when the lug nuts are tightened...I'm curious if anyone has ever tried just placing the proper thickness washer on each lug (behind the wheel) to support AT THE STUD...it just seems to make more sense...am I wrong here?

2. Andy

Andy

I bet those wire stick out a mile fom the Buicks. The wheel is supposd to contact inside and outside the lugs. The rings support the inside and the stock wheel surface contacts outside. Washers are a terrible idea. Your rings may be too thick. You must also have thick adapters for the wires to clear.

3. choppedtudor

choppedtudor

yes, I'm running spacers for clearance, no they don't "stick out" too far..Buick drums are a classic Hot Rod upgrade from the tuna cans that are OEM... 000_0007[1].jpg buickfindrums.jpg

4. alchemy

alchemy

By "stick out too far", it means does the line drawn through the kingpin down to the ground intersect under the tire patch? It seems your tires may be offset too far, and the line is intersecting inside the tire. This is a contributor to death wobble.

And, yes, you need a correctly sized inner ring to properly support the original Ford wire wheel. Washers behind the lug hole is a bad idea. I bought some spacers from Speedway and they work fine. Other suppliers have them as well.

Fordors likes this.

5. Wire wheels time had passed when Buick drums became a "classic Hot Rod upgrade"; but if you must, the support rings prevent the problem of wheels that don't stay tight and eventually crack.

6. alchemy

alchemy

Truthfully, the wire wheel's time was probably over in 1940 when the 16" steelies came out.

RICH B likes this.
  7. Fred A

Fred A
    from Encino, CA
    1. Upholstery

I'm sure that Choppedtudor ran right out and dropped a line from the kingpin to the ground. Results are confidential. Good Luck: Fred A

8. choppedtudor

choppedtudor

thank you all for your helpful hints...we are all here to learn something.

9. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

centrepoint.jpg

10. alchemy

alchemy

Nice dune buggy. It has perfect offset on the wheels.

11. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Dune buggy? Did I miss something here? I believe that is a reccumdant (sp?) bike.

rudestude likes this.
  12. rudestude

rudestude

Actually it is on sand that looks to be a beach that could lead into some dunes, and the theory that the original poster of the recumbent bike was talking about holds true to a recumbent bike ,car ,or dunebuggy. And nothing was mentioned that a dunebuggy couldn't be a recumbent bike....ah hell I think the guy just didn't notice that thing sitting on a beach had pedals and handle bars ...or a engine..then who really cares...

Sent from my SM-T387V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. alchemy

alchemy

Sorry I was making a funny. The sand reminded me of the "nice dune buggy" thread a few years ago. Look it up.

But, the bike is a great example of perfect offset to kingpin recumbency ratio.

14. rudestude

rudestude

As was I, no apologies needed...you got to mix a little humor in occasionally, being serious all the time is boring...

Sent from my SM-T387V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app