Register now to get rid of these ads!

1954 Chrysler Imperial engine frozen. Help.

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by Neil White, Jun 5, 2019.

1. Neil White

Neil White

Recently acquired this car at auction. Put oil in, still frozen. What is the best route, pull engine and look inside, or acquire new engine. This is an automatic transmission. In north Mississippi. Your thoughts, please.

2. The Mullet

The Mullet

Did you pop the valve covers, spark plugs etc. and lubricate everything? That's step one. Step 2, dump an ounce or so of Marvel mystery oil in each cylinder via spark plug hole and soak for 30 minutes. Good to use some CRC or other pentrating lube on all the valve train components. Hose it down with the lube. Try to turn the engine from the flywheel, flex plat side by removing the starter, as you can get more leverage on the larger diameter. if that doesn't work, you'll most likely have to break the whole engine down.

Sent from my XT1650 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. Neil White

Neil White

The mechanic tried everything you suggested. He can do no more, but I have located a mechanic who will pull the engine and break it down. He can not get to it right now. I have seen threads here about just getting a new engine. What are the chances of finding a correct, running engine and what price range. Thank you for the advice. Neil White.

4. The Mullet

The Mullet

If it's the 331 hemi engine, it's worth pulling and rebuilding as they can be very hard to find in good shape.

Sent from my XT1650 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

biggeorge likes this.

5. NoSurf

NoSurf

You need to be patient. Let the penetrating oil do its job. Could take a week of so for the oil to work down into the rings etc. I always use P'Blaster or ATF and Acetone mix 50/50.

6. This sounds like the perfect excuse go out and buy one of those "borescope" inspection camera things from Harbor Freight. ;) Would give you a little better idea of the condition of the cylinders and maybe even the crankcase. :cool:

The Mullet likes this.