Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects rebuilding after the crash

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by racer-x, Sep 19, 2015.

1. I saw somewhere that they work out of the trailer even at home so they don't have to unload tools and supplies. Less chance of forgetting something I guess.

chryslerfan55, loudbang and Gammz like this.
  2. squirrel

squirrel

makes sense, when the trailers are that much nicer than my shop!

Stogy, loudbang and enloe like this.
  3. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I've had a tour of the John Force shop in Indianapolis, that is amazing.

racer-x, Stogy, enloe and 1 other person like this.
  4. 50John

50John
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Noticed at rte 66 last weekend each team had 2 semi trailers per car. Thats a lot of stuff. Way different than the old days.

loudbang, chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  5. 1949 caddyman

1949 caddyman
    from arizona

How many cars does Schumacher race?

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  6. hog mtn dave

hog mtn dave

I believe 6 fuel cars plus the Factory Stock Shootout cars. Tony's car is still parked for now.

chryslerfan55, enloe and loudbang like this.
  7. 50 John one trailer carries the car and supplies to run it. The other trailer carries a back up car up top. The lower level carries everything needed for the hospitality area. Tables chairs tents etc. Is more big business today.

8. So, have you made any passes, and how'd they go ?

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  9. rooman

rooman

Actually the second trailer is generally loaded with the big spare parts-short blocks, headers etc. Each team also hauls their own awning and pit matting etc while the hospitality area stuff usually rides in the kitchen truck/s. The base truck/trailer weight is such that you can't haul enough parts and still stay under 80,000 lbs.

Roo

chryslerfan55 and enloe like this.
  10. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

They must sell a lot of battery chargers. :D

11. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I thought the same thing so I Googled it, WOW, that's a big concern.

chryslerfan55 and enloe like this.
  12. rooman

rooman

Although Don does sell a lot of battery chargers the teams are funded by various sponsorship packages as big Shoe is loath to spend his own money (unless there is a positive return on the investment). Tony's original Exide deal was where it all started and now the cars don't race unless someone pays, hence the proliferation of different sponsors through the season on cars such as Leah Pritchett's dragster and Matt Hagan's flopper. The Matco (Antron Brown) and NAPA (Ron Capps) are pretty much singular deals as are the Infinite Hero (Jack Beckman) and Make A Wish (Tommy Johnson Jr) packages backed by the late Terry Chandler but if the funding for any of them goes away they will be parked just like Tony's digger.
    As for the shop, it is now around 125,000 sq feet including the fabrication and machine shop areas. Add the upper floor offices and storage areas and that is some serious real estate.

There are two more funny cars running out of the shop as well due to the fact that Don Schumacher Motorsports provides logistical support for both Bob Tasca and Paul Lee. Lee's rig is the McLeod unit seen in the last batch of shop photos.

Roo

egads, chryslerfan55 and enloe like this.
  13. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Would you care to guess who handed Tony his very first Wally?

Me. Lol.

In fact I got in trouble for it from the NHRA. Tony rolled his Top Fueler to a stop about 100 feet short of the turn off (pre-ATV with roller pushers). He is standing in the cockpit celebrating. NHRA tells us to stay and wait for him. But me and Jackie...Miss Winston...were so excited for him we jumped the wall and delivered the trophy!

Sent from my SM-G970U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

OK, a little backstory needed here!

chryslerfan55, enloe and loudbang like this.
  15. Pats55

Pats55
    from NJ

What a shame. I'm glad you're okay

loudbang likes this.
  16. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

How did the nitro coupe do at the Midwest drags?

17. squirrel

squirrel

Stogy likes this.
  18. While on the way to wagler dragway in southern Indiana for the summit midwest drag and drive event I made a stop at Schumacher racing for a drum of nitro.
    We are all teched in ready for day one Wednesday. We need to make two passes if the weather holds.

I guess I assumed he was in the event...

19. Do you know something we don't ???

20. Pats55

Pats55
    from NJ

I'm sorry I thought he walked away without a injury. My comprehension sucks.

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  21. Ford blue blood

Ford blue blood

I know I'm a little slow on the up-take sometimes.....but what did I miss?

loudbang and 18n57 like this.
  22. We were there. We had a rough time. The car was falling on its face just after the hit. We made five passes in five hours trying to sort it out. I turned in my time slips some how they were not recorded. The good thing was the car was hitting the tires hard and going perfectly straight. All the hard work on the chassis was paying off. On the first gas stop just out of town the front seal was leaking. A local guy getting gas offered his shop for us to use that was only a block away.. It had a lift in it so that would help alot. We got the old seal out in no time. The difficult part was finding a new one. The closest one was in indy. That's a long drive. We finally located one at a local engine builders shop. It was all back together by 8:30 PM just in time for the severe weather to hit. Seeing that we were hot; hungry; and tired we grabbed some food at the only restaurant in town to wait out the heavy rain. By 10:30 we were on our our way for the 4 hr ride to muncie. More to come later.

23. When you have 100 hp you have 100 hp problems. When you have 1500 plus hp you have 1500 plus hp problems. The latest in this nitro saga has the car throwing blower belts. The idlers pulley bracket is flexing under extreme load. The pulley is no longer in alignment allowing the belt to run off the pulley.
    That was fixed with a support similar to what modern fuel cars use. Problem solved.
    The other issue that has cropped up relates to the ignition. Under full load the car loses power. We now think the 20 amp msd is not getting the job done. It was recently serviced with a clean bill of health. A friend just down the road offered up his 44 amp ignition to try out. The 44s is so hot its advised to pull a degree or two of timing. A 44 will fire anything thrown at it. The big nitro load and boost pressure might be too much for the 20 amp mag. We will see what happens. The 44 takes a seperate coil so I'm making a mount to hold it in place. The fuel pump was sent back to enderle for freshening up. They said the pump is fine and not the problem. 20190623_181949.jpg 20190623_182016.jpg

Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
    Stogy, chryslerfan55, swade41 and 4 others like this.
  24. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

Good luck getting it sorted out Brian. when is the next test and tune?

Stogy, loudbang and racer-x like this.
  25. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

True but I think you have 3,000hp problems which when sorted will be 4,000hp problems.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

26. If it is the ignition system that's been causing the issues watch out. The car has all the potential now to go in the sixes at 200 mph. Alot of little bugs have been fixed with all of the testing going on. Six out of the last eight weeks the car has been some where testing. We are going to try and get it out before the glory days event. If not we are registered for that event and it will happen then. I have been street driving it while I get this sorted out. I want to drive it to work this week. I haven't done that in a while. As much as I like to race it I enjoy it just as much cruising around on the open road.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
  27. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So street driving is casual dress?...I mean the track is all space suit...This thing really has extreme Polar opposites as in Gas and Nitro and that's not to say on this street it's any less capable...theres a video I posted in another thread and it kinda highlights this experience and its late 50s early sixties to...From the Unleashed Wild of Race to the Casual Drive home in a Hemi Car...

I found it...its buggered up sound wise...At the track it's all business get it done pedal to the medal...Go Go Go...and then out on the open road...parking the strip...and driving to a somewhat different tune...but the clicker here is your Coupe is the Homebound Carrier...

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
  28. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

Six second street car....:eek: Awesome!

Stogy, chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  29. I just received these images for approval. The t shirts will be made in time for the glory days event. Joel naprestak worked with me to create the images. I think he did a great job. They will be double sided printed on a black shirt. S/FC will be on the back side. Brian-shirt-black-1.jpg 01-ART-Layout-COLOR-3-8x11.jpg SFC-Shirt Back-8x11.jpg