Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Gasser classes...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Horrid Prefect, Jun 6, 2019.

1. Horrid Prefect

Horrid Prefect

Read a lot on this matter, sometimes seems to be a tad confusing. But hope some of you guys can help out... Car is around 1900lbs, with a 350 SBC. Am I right in thinking this should be A/G class? I wanna get it right.

2. squirrel

squirrel

what year, what sanctioning body?

Johnny Gee likes this.
  3. There is a wonderful innovation, not sure everyone has heard of it. One adaptation is simply known as "Google".

4. Horrid Prefect

Horrid Prefect

Sarcasm sir, ( bobss396) IS the lowest form of wit. Try reading the original post with your glasses on! Thank you.

WTF really and swade41 like this.

5. squirrel

squirrel

oh, you are reading replies, good!

Maybe you could tell us what year, and what sanctioning body, you wish to know about?

jimgoetz likes this.
  6. Horrid Prefect

Horrid Prefect

OK Jim...... The car is a '53. Sorry not sure what you mean by sanctioning body? Please let me have some details.. My past drag racing has been all Pro Street..... now just wanna have some fun with gasser fields. And as an airbrush artist and old schoool custom painter... Looking forward to slinging some paint. Thanks in advance for your help.

7. Fordors

Fordors

Using the Prefect in your avatar and the HAMB’s cut off year of 1965 would place your car in A/G. That assumes you have no more than a 10% set back, and are running front brakes per the rules. If supercharged it could be no less than 6.00 pounds per cu. in. to be legal.

loudbang likes this.
  8. jimgoetz

jimgoetz

Just google Gasser Madness and it will give you what you want. BUT only for one sanctioning organization. Class is car weight divided by cubic inches.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
  9. About what I expect from a FNG that wants everything handed to him on a silver platter.

loudbang likes this.
  10. MikeC62

MikeC62
    from Missouri

11. Horrid Prefect

Horrid Prefect

Thank you Fordors... That is all I wanted to know. I don't do stickers, So I want to be sure before I put this thing into paint! Cheers!!

12. Horrid Prefect

Horrid Prefect

13. squirrel

squirrel

Sanctioning bodies are organizations such as NHRA, AHRA, etc. They each had their own rules, and the rules changed over the years. So, if you want to have an accurate car classification, you need to know what rule book it has to comply with. That is why I asked.

If you're just making stuff up, you can make up whatever you want.

Just Gary and jimgoetz like this.
  14. Fordors

Fordors

Given the weight of the car and cubic inches stated I didn’t think it could have fallen into anything but A class, no matter the association. Now if it had been a 3200 pound car with the 350 it would have fallen into B/G, at least under the dominant association, the NHRA.

15. Horrid Prefect

Horrid Prefect

If my math is correct, I can go up to 3145 pounds and fall into the A/G class. with my SBC. A stock Prefect was 1845 pounds. mine has Lexan windows, glass front flip, glass rear fenders, no bumpers, stripped interior etc. So I think I am safe. I will get it on scales first though!

16. Casey Riley

Casey Riley
    from Minnesota

.[​IMG]

17. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Those days were as bad for some of the gas class guys as they were for the stock class guys.
    Build a decent street car with an engine swap say a 56 Ford tudor Wagon with a strong running 352 Ford in it. and you ended up racing against a purpose built gas car that was trailered to the track and was at least a couple of seconds quicker because your CI to weight stuck you in the same class.

Good to see that the OP is looking for the correct class that the car would have been in though. One of the laughable things we see all the time is cars marked with the wrong classifications for what they would have fit in and even worse the wrong classification for the type of racing that they are attempting to represent.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
    Old wolf likes this.
  18. Just pick a time frame, pick a sanctioning group, go on e-bay and buy a rule book for that era and built it like you had to pass tech at a track of said era. We all have our favorite period of drag racing. Me? I love the Shores & Hess Anglia. YMMV

19. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

upload_2019-6-7_8-43-55.png

1-49 = FNG
    50-99 = Newbie
    100-399 = Grenade inspector
    400-999 = Member
    1000-2499 = Senior member
    2500+ = Old school Hamber

Hightone111 and Bandit Billy like this.
  20. The only problem I have with labeling the car into a certain class is when there is no way said car would come close to running anywhere near the cars of that era.
    My Henry J was the same, weight to cubic inch it would fall into a class that was no way near the actual times the car could run. I decided it would kinda be like an insult to those cars from the day to label my slow ass car as an equal to them, so it's not label with a class designation.
    On the other hand I wouldn't object to making up my own class like HJ/G or something of the sorts so it could have the flavor without the insults.

21. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

If you take it to a race track they will class it.
    If it's a streetcar it shouldn't need a class.

XXL__ likes this.
  22. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Thank you!

23. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

I did a 64 dodge years ago as a 6o's want a be Super Stocker for a customer and friend. For fun we put 2/COOL in the quarter windows . If your not going to actually race it in class competition no one will care. If you do enter into actual class competition the attending track will class you. No matter what be sure to have fun with your car! Larry

24. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

i think he is going to paint the info on the car. i don't really think anybody who raced in the day would really give a crap what you do today. i have a lettered "J" street gasser and a '63 belvedere a/sa lettered street car too. i have had a few people over the years ask about the class on them. unless their just a asshat, i will, as gently as i can, tell them to get a life and not to be so anal. just get the rules for the tracks you plan on running at and who sanctions them and you will figure it out.