Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Build the dream, then sell it???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by treb11, Jun 5, 2019.

1. atomickustom

atomickustom

I think we hit on the three main reasons:
    1) finished car fails to live up to the fantasy
    2) building is more fun than owning for some
    3) if I sell this, I can buy...

Barring financial difficulties I'd say those cover most.

brad2v, abe lugo, VANDENPLAS and 5 others like this.
  2. Hot Rod Nut

Hot Rod Nut

I've done it for 50+ years. At first it was to build money to do the next one, then it was " oh, I want one of those" now I'm slowing down and just sold one because it wasn't just what I wanted . A lot of times it was going to get scratched if it 's here, because I'm already working on the next one. So for me there was always the next build. And yes I love driving them , daily. Every body has different way's.
    Oh ,and 3 times I sold them too fast, so later I did another one just to drive alittle while then sold it. Crazy?

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
    loudbang and olscrounger like this.
  3. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

I am the guy who finishes a car and suddenly THAT GUY is saying how much? I say not for sale . THAT GUY says again HOW MUCH ? And I finally say a BAZZILION DOLLARS!!! and THAT GUY says SOLD! And I say aw crap! Sadly I made a lot of money off THOSE GUYS!! Maybe that's why I don't seem to finish to many anymore. Larry

4. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Ever sell one then HAVE to have it back...that won't happen, so find another?
    I was lucky. Well, more times than one.
    Last time, I had to have an F100. Slanty-cab, '55's best. Found one in the alley by buddy Cox's house, in Santa Cruz. 2 coats of green housepaint, left front fender dented, (serious dent...I could fix it, but...) That housepaint was horrid. Complete truck, though.
    Guy was a Santa Cruz policeman, ran out of time and money. Bought it for $100, he threw in a Gennie shop manual, AND an F100 shop parts manual!
    Brought it home, ex wife started in..."Oh, Michael! I HATE those trucks!"
    Deaf ear...as much as possible.
    I lost interest in the green slug, there was some rust underneath the cowl sides, and when I got the fender off it had other sheet metal issues, so I straightened the sides outboard of the radiator core supports, and buddy Ronny brings this guy over...the guy says, "You tired of all this bodywork yet?" I said, "You could play that one again... but..." He cut me off, "Ron says you might take 2K for it..." I did.

Not a month went by. I was on my way home from work, took the 'back way' for the scenic treat. Still wanted an F100, looked down into my friend's towing yard...
    a CHERRY metallic silver-blue '55 F100 with chrome grille and bumpers, hood in the bed... sitting on the drums, no wheels/engine.
    Pulled in to take a look. Jon came out, told me a story about his BIG 5 ton Jeep 4 wheel wrecker.
    (I had put a clutch in it a week before, he was so grateful as NOBODY could do it, 3 foot extended bumper/winch up front, 'excuses/excuses')
    "Sure, Jon, I can clutch this rig on Thursday, O.K.?" He brought it to my workplace, (Santa Cruz BMW) and I did it after hours.
    Jon now explained that this F100 was stripped, (wheels, engine/trans) and dumped (slid on its drums, actually) off Empire Grade! Took 3 hours to winch it up using both booms, (split) then his bozos burned out the clutch! (using power takeoff)
    Dispatched the 2 ton wrecker, and together they pulled the F100 to the roadway.
    Flatbed truck then, (1972, few tiltbacks around) but they brought it in.
    Jon asked if I wanted it...I stammered, "Yes..." He laughed, then said: "When I went to get my big rig, you charged me $200 to do the job. I told you I owed you, and I do.
    "Give me what I paid my 2 guys in wages that night. $60.00. You can have Jimmy deliver it with the 2 ton wrecker."
    I went home and got the money. Jimmy said he could deliver it the next evening, 7 P.M. He'd do it for a CASE OF BUDWEISER!
    I stopped by my favorite 7-11 store, Joe put 3 cases of Bud (24 bottle cases, remember those?) and stacked them in my garage.
    Jimmy arrived when he said, Man...he had the back on dollies. (Mucho work!)
    I figured he'd put wheels & tires on, (extra work) so I got extra beer.
    He set the back, then the front neatly on my car stands...all to my ex wife's chagrin... No, she wasn't 'grinnin'! Maybe the way you'd grin a bear to death...
    Jimmy was sooo grateful for the beer, the first case set in the passenger footwell, then I handed him another..."What...?" "Sorry, Jimmy...they wouldn't sell just one..."
    Blew his mind when I handed him number 3. Wonderful guy. He towed my cars every time I blew or broke something.
    Wonderful friends got me my F100 back!
    Sell? Never. Had it since '72, still looks good. Primer again, but nice rake, fast, and wife Joey knows all about it. Top and bottom. Loves to drive it...Around here 'chicks with trucks' get thumbs up. Makes me proud.

5. Funny went to look at an OT 60'S Cuda - that supposedly was "his dream car" as a Firebird and another GM sat close. 'bout the same....deal..... I've always had my top five or so out of my dozen or so that were keepers - don't think the top 4 have changed in 20 years or so.........

loudbang likes this.
  6. Another post mentioned a finished car being uncomfortable. For me a Ford older than '37 is way too cramped. Those pedals through the floor were meant for people that were on average 5'9" and 160 lbs. My '59 Ford, I still am going to have to slide the seat back another 2" eventually. Just getting my left arm out onto the door is a challenge. Otherwise, it I fits, I sits.

I never like to truly finish a car, which blows the minds of non-car people.
    Q: When will it be finished?
    A: Never, then the fun is over.

Q: What color are you going to paint it?
    A: Is primer not a color, does it look like fur or feathers?

Q: Are you going to sell it now?
    A: Are you going to sell your kid when he's out of high school?

Q: How do you buy a car with no engine or transmission?
    A: Simple, either cash or a wire transfer.

brad2v and Mart like this.
  7. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

I have bought and sold part finished projects, sometimes I get over my head, sometimes I realize it was not what I thought it would be, other times they are stepping stones to the next better project. Bu we have vehicles that we have been offered stupid money, stupid because I built them, but they are unique because of what they represent - First Hot Rod, we bought it in Australia,,my favorite daily,,,and they are not for sale,,, ever,,, no matter.

8. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

This brings up the question I always have. I have always known what I like as soon as I first see it and I never get tired of it no matter how many years I have it. I have a brother that doesn't seem to know what he likes and usually just follows along and does what I am doing. He acts amazed at how I know what I want but I am amazed that someone doesn't know. Sometimes things just can't be understood. Different types make the world go around.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
    Just Gary likes this.
  9. verno30

verno30
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I love building them but the next one will always be better...........

Also

Until I had my shop, space was the limiting factor for me. Fine in the Spring and Summer but not so much in the Fall and Winter.

bobss396 likes this.
  10. Two more points of clarification:
    4) Selling when a build is freshly finished will bring top dollar
    5) Need room in my two car garage for the next one

11. X-cpe

X-cpe

I look at it this way. Unless I have some deep mental or emotional attachment to the car, if someone offers stupid money I'm taking it. I can always build another and make the improvements I learned about with the first one. Besides that if it comes a time when I have to sell it, I can't find anyone with two nickles to rub together.

0NE BAD 51 MERC likes this.
  12. topher5150

topher5150

In all honestly I think my wife would kick my ass if I put all that work and money into a car then up and sold it, and me being me I'd drive until the wheels fell off, or until I got sick of dealing with it.

bobss396 likes this.
  13. Koz

Koz

When I do get one finished I always am so far in the hole I just dump it to pay off the balance on my cards. I never get what I have in them and just have to start over again anyway. Makes no sense but I've done it a dozen times. The hobby has gotten so expensive it is hard for me to justify keeping one for myself. I have one near finished now and hopefully I'll hang on to it long enough to enjoy it a bit.

0NE BAD 51 MERC likes this.
  14. fordflambe

fordflambe

Buddy of mine is always in quest for "the best and most noticed". What he doesn't realize is there will always be one cooler, nicer, cleaner, more innovative, more noticed..............

I just like them all!

15. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Buy the project.
    Doll it up.
    Sell the dream.
    Repeat.

16. bigdog

bigdog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As long as they're having fun does it really matter? Different people enjoy different parts of the hobby.

17. my interpretation:
    guys who like to build cars
    guys who like to own cars (buy finished card then show them)
    Guys who like to build then show what they build.

I fall into the third category but still working on the build skills......

18. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Good news for your wife.:D

19. Fry

Fry
    from SK, Canada

I’m the type of guy that likes to face things head on and get stuff done, once I’ve accomplished my goal I set a new one and rarely reflect on past accomplishments.
    So I was pretty worried once I got mine on the road that I’d get the itch to move on, until it was done.
    I’m now convinced I could never sell it, pass it on to my kids sure, but never sell it. It’s just me in car form, couldn’t have someone else driving it, not appreciating the hours of work or changing stuff.

Just starting that next project without that extra cash almost looks too daunting so I look for other non-car goals to accomplish for the time being.

20. OLSKOOL57

OLSKOOL57

So true, sometimes the journey is as enjoyable as the completion. I am 71 and never completed one, so I hope to let you know relatively soon.

Koz likes this.
  21. gene-koning

gene-koning

In my case, the truck I just got done building is too small for me to be comfortable driving more then a couple of hours at a time. Since we tend to put a bunch of miles on our Hot Rods, a couple hours driving time is not enough.
    I've already acquired the next project, and the sale of this one needs to fund the next build. Gene

22. I like guys like you.. fire sales are always a great way to get a new project going. I'm always looking for them and I have to go look at a "rebuilt" SBC that sounds like a deal. If so, I buy it and salt it away. I'll never lose a dime on it.

Koz likes this.
  23. Koz

Koz

Problem is, buyers are getting so cheap you can't even justify losing your ass anymore..... LOL. I toyed with offing the roadster I have here now before it goes to paint. Best offer I've had is $1K on a car that I have $9,500 in parts, no labor. No reason to sell it other than I could use the room so it's staying and going to paint.

24. 29moonshine

29moonshine

spent 3 yrs building the car I wanted in high school [33 Plymouth coupe pro street blower motor] found out at 66 yrs old my back could not handle riding in it

25. hudson48

hudson48

What are the 2 happiest days in a T bucket builders life.
    The day he finishes it and the day he sells it.:cool:

Koz likes this.
  26. Koz

Koz

Forgot the part when you sell it and instantly miss having one around so you build another, (and do it again). Of all the cars I've had the T's are the only ones I miss.

27. cheezwiz

cheezwiz

I read the replys to see if anyone touched on this subject . When I build something, I have alot of hair brained ideas that need tweaked from a mechanical aspect. They ALWAYS need miles to see what works and doesn't. Many times , I've seen people put their heart and soul into a project. When its completed, it has new car bugs. THEY ALL DO !The owner gets frusterated and puts it up for sale. A friend built a really nice 33 3 window. When it was done, it had a vibration. It drove him crazy ! He checked the wheels, driveshaft etc. Still vibrated. I bought the car, had to change the pinion angle which included reworking the floor pan and repainting the bottom of the car. Problem solved ! Bottom line, people get burned out on the build and have no patience left for the inevitable bugs !

Just Gary likes this.
  28. Didn't build my Model A to sell but a car I built in 1971 was discovered and offered back to me, the decision was made for me!!
    IMG_0441.jpg

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  29. birdman1

birdman1

usually by the time i get one built, i never want toseit again because of the problems and money spenton it! LOL!!

30. Different if you have no attachment to the car. I would lose my shirt big time if I sold mine, if I'm still alive and want it gone, I'll part it out or GIVE it to someone I know and like.

Koz likes this.