Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures Robert Mitchums 57 Ford in Thunder Road...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by philo426, May 30, 2018.

1. philo426

philo426

I just got an AMT 57 Ford in trade and want to paint it like Mitchums ride in Thunder Road.White over red or red over white?

2. Deuces

Deuces

Pictures????....... :D

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. philo426

philo426

That is what I am asking!

4. philo426

philo426

Thanks!red over whute it is!

5. .......What evidence is there to indicate that it was Red and White? The movie was shot in Black and White. Some who have researched the subject feel that it may have been a two-tone Green of all things. A very pale Green against a much darker Green.

Hnstray, scrap metal 48 and wraymen like this.
  6. philo426

philo426

I seem to recall that a woman told a cop that he was driving a red over white 57 Ford in the film.Correct?

7. If I were a moonshine hauler I would probably opt for a color combination a little less flashy than red and white. The last thing you would want to do would be to attract attention to yourself or the car. I guess that's why all the moonshine cars I ever saw were black or navy blue.

Hnstray and lothiandon1940 like this.
  8. .......................I don't remember that, but it's certainly possible. Check out the other thread that I just bumped back up.

9. One fellow who has researched it to some degree feels that it was Cumberland Green and Willow Green two-tone.

10. You be the judge.....:) 090ab175c811156f2ef347e2ab475724.jpg

BigO, Hnstray, Deuces and 2 others like this.
  11. Not sure how Willow Green would translate in B&W, but it sure looks more like Colonial White to my eyes. As far as the darker color, your guess is as good as mine.:D

BigO and Hnstray like this.
  12. If Flame Red was the only Red available in 1957, it somehow doesn't look that dark in the movie..................Just sayin'.

Spoggie and BigO like this.
  13. philo426

philo426

Guess I will track down the film and watch it again,perhaps on YouTube.

BigO and lothiandon1940 like this.
  14. I built this Black Custom 300 a couple of years ago. Wasn't thinking about it at the time, but it's sorta reminiscent of the one that one of Cogan's men was driving when Mitchum tossed the lit cigarette at him and ran him off the side of the mountain. 120-vi (5).jpg 123-vi.jpg

OLSKOOL57, BigO, Oldmics and 6 others like this.
  15. philo426

philo426

That is the newer Revell release.Nice paint job!

Deuces and lothiandon1940 like this.
  16. Red usually appears as very dark or black when photographed in B&W....

To confuse it even more, here's a movie poster showing a red/white car but it's a '58 Edsel, not a Ford...

Thunder road.jpg

Last edited: May 30, 2018
  17. Cold hearted orb that rules the night,
    Removes the colours from our sight,
    Red is gray and yellow white,
    But we decide which is right.
    And which is an illusion?

18. Deuces

Deuces

Moody Blues....
    One of my favorites.... ;)

19. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

I don't recall a 1957 Ford, I thought that all the cars were earlier Shoe boxes.
    Seems that I must be confused. I know a couple of brothers in CA who own one of the several shoe boxes used in the movie.

Quoted from Wikipedia:
    In the film, Mitchum drove a souped-up black 1951 Ford two-door sedan (which was later repainted gray) with a custom tank in the back for moonshine liquor and a Ford V8 with three two barrel carburators but after a run in with the law, it was sold and replaced with a 1957 Ford Fairlane 500 two-door sedan with the same alterations excluding the engine carburation. The 1951 Ford was modified with a 1949 hood and 1950 grill and front bumper as well as the rear 1951 taillight chrome trim removed and 1949/1950 taillights installed.

The film's dialogue refers to the car as a 1950, but it is not, although at least one exterior shot, when the car spills oil on the road to ward off some "bad guys", the trunk shown is clearly a 1950 unit. (During the "oil spill" scene it is revealed that a series of nozzles attached to a pipe hidden by the 1951 rear bumper, is controlled by a switch under the dash, clearly a 1951 dash unit, which activates a solenoid to release the flow of oil.)

Other exterior shots of the car clearly show 1951 rear window trim, a 1951 rear bumper and 1951 Ford body side trim as well as a 1951 V8 emblem on the front fenders plus 1951 Ford hubcaps. The final scene of the 1951 Ford is when the second owner gets in the car, an ATF agent approaches him, gets in and asks for the key to start the car, inserts the key in the ignition, the dash and steering wheel are plainly visible as a 1951 unit. When the key is turned, the car explodes.

Most of the scenes were filmed in Asheville, North Carolina along Highway 19 and others at Lake Lure. Some scenes were filmed in Beech, east of Weaverville. Scenes include Reems Creek Road, Sugar Creek Road and the Beech Community Center. Some scenes were actual local moonshine drivers shot with a camera mounted on a pickup tailgate.

Deuces and Hnstray like this.
  20. .................Yes it is. Thanks for the kind words.

Deuces likes this.
  21. It's been so long since I've actually watched the movie I guess I'm going to have to watch it again. Funny how some of those little details seem to slip away over the years. :rolleyes:

22. Did this mystery ever get solved?:D

Deuces likes this.
  23. RmK57

RmK57

Track down James Mitchum, Robert Mitchums son who was in the movie and is still alive. He should remember.:rolleyes:
    My vote goes for Willow green and Colonial white.

24. philo426

philo426

since the film is in black and white,I was confused because one of the female characters states that the car was red and white.

25. Is that the truck from "Duel" on your avatar? I can't seem to stop watching that movie when I come across it on cable. Dennis's happy dance at the end was a little over the top though.:)

26. toml24

toml24

It's RED. Some pretty strong evidence we had back in the day.
    1957-ford country squire station wagon.jpg

27. Hemiman 426

Hemiman 426
    from Tulsa, Ok.

28. RmK57

RmK57

10-4 good buddy, 1955 Peterbuilt 281.... One of my favorites.