Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Model AA Front Suspension

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ludwiggler, Apr 28, 2015.

1. ludwiggler

ludwiggler
    from Yuba City

Ok. Another random question. I’m getting ready to purge some old cars my dad has as farm art installations but I’m worried I’ll discover I should have stripped some parts. I’m planning on getting rid of a 4x4 bronco II, second generation manual/v6 explorer, 80’s v6 t-bird, 90’s v8 t-bird, 80’s econoline van with v8/c4. I’ve got a lightly used 80’s passenger van with 460/C6 that I’m really thinking I might try to shoehorn into Model AA project.

2. ludwiggler

ludwiggler
    from Yuba City

Do the F350 spindles that fit your AA axle come only on 57-60 trucks or do you know if the later spindles fit? Are there any disk brake options that you are aware of?

3. I don't know what else these spindles might come from, but the kingpin angle is slightly different, the spread on the spindle is wider (shims needed) and the kingpin diameter slightly larger than a Model A axle, so those are modifications that must be done. I've figured that a later Ford truck rotor and disc brake could be adapted, but don't know of any quick and easy swap. Just haven't pursued it.

4. ludwiggler

ludwiggler
    from Yuba City

I found that the stock axle I have is a heavy duty bevel gear axle that Ford put in its trucks in 30/31. I might have a 5.14:1 ratio if it’s the high speed version. I think I may keep the traditional hotrod look with a modern transmission and tall tires...and try to keep this axle somehow...has anyone else done this?

5. ludwiggler

ludwiggler
    from Yuba City

Would someone be kind enough to help me identify these axles? Guy doesn’t know year. They are $120 so I think it’s a deal but I’m not 100% sure they are the 32-36 year axles I’m after. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

6. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Measurements?

https://droppedaxles.com/ford-dropped-axles-0

compare them to this.

The top one looks aftermarket to me. It also looks like it might be either a P&J cast one or even one of those Hoffman group things.

The bottom one looks like an original Ford axle that was dropped and the one I would be interested in.

ludwiggler likes this.