Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest The Greatest Generation.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mitchell Rish, Jun 6, 2019.

1. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Remember them today - and everyday- we owe them everything.Our freedom, our life style, our hobby, our Nation. God Bless You All.

2. Deuces

Deuces

3. Thank you, DAD!

DAD.jpg

And it was not just the Military. The folks at home WORKED. No whiners.

GOD BLESS THEM!

Ben

j3harleys, BigO, OLSKOOL57 and 9 others like this.
  4. loudbang

loudbang

Thanks Pops. You are long passed but not forgotten. WWII pacific and recalled for Korea.

1951.linda.family-porch.jpg

47ragtop, j3harleys, BigO and 8 others like this.

5. My dad would be 102 if he was still around, we lost him in 2013 at age 96. He wore his Veteran hat and B24 shirt almost everywhere he went. He did the N. Africa and Italy thing with the USAF and came home in 1 piece, he worked fixing B24 bombers behind the lines. Before the war he worked at Grumman Aircraft, also after for a total of 32 years. He spent some time at Fairchild Republic too when Grumman was slow.

But all those guys, no nonsense and no BS about them. They did what would be impossible to do today if we had to do it again. They made sure we wouldn't have to do it again, not on that scale anyway.

56shoebox, j3harleys, BigO and 11 others like this.
  6. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I appreciate their sacrifice!

j3harleys, BigO, OLSKOOL57 and 4 others like this.
  7. jvo

jvo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My father in law was in the first waves to hit Juno Beach on D Day. My father was taken to a work camp in Germany, and my mother wandered through farmer's fields in Holland to find a potato or a sugar beet to boil so my 3 sisters would have something to eat. We never ever want to forget those times, just in case some politician comes along that decides he wants to be a dictator or king (what's the difference, really?). Lest we forget.

j3harleys, BigO, stinson and 9 others like this.
  8. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

You are correct. Everyone did their part. They are known as the greatest generation for a reason.

j3harleys, BigO, loudbang and 6 others like this.
  9. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

To my grandpa who went in as a army grunt only to be captured and spent 3 yrs in a Nazi prison camp until liberated by U.S. troops.

To a generation who thought outside of themselves and acted upon the honor and pride of being Americans, men, human beings, that despite their personal cost still stood up and carried a burden no younger generation could handle and thanks to that generation the younger generations haven't needed to bear.

To all that served you are remembered, respected and am forever eternally grateful to you in my household.

10. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

my pop signed up and ended up in Japan where he got a purple heart. the only war story he ever told was shooting a flame thrower in the brush and having people run out on fire. doesn't sound like something I would want to do at 18 years old.

11. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No whiners, no entitlement, no participation trophies in that lot. I like to think "greatest generation...so far". I'll hold out hope that the best is yet to come, but we got a hell of a lot of work to do to get there.

Thank you for my freedom to all who served and to all that may.

12. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

Cousin Herbie as he was called by my Grandmother landed on Omaha beach, made it into France, and was killed 6 days later somewhere around the River Vire. He's still there.
    Thank you Herbie.
    Cousin Herbie Tombestone.jpg

13. Deuces

Deuces

14. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

My Father-In Law started in Normandy and fought his way up to the Battle of the Bulge. Mostly 18 & 19 year old kids that became men over night. We all owe them our gratitude and if we see some old gent with a WWII hat on thank them and shake their hand. Bandit, sorry, but I don't share your enthusiasm of "so far". Never again will we see Americans pulling in the same direction.

j3harleys, williebill, BigO and 3 others like this.
  15. rgdavid

rgdavid

Im British, i thank the U.S. soldiers often in my heart,
    Never underestimate what those boys gave and did.
    Heros,every one of them.
    Thanks,with a tear.

16. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I walked that grave site. Very inspiring..
    I couldn’t help but let the tears flow.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
    j3harleys, williebill, BigO and 3 others like this.
  17. Many of us are fortunate to be able to say that our dad was a member of the greatest generation and learned first hand why they have received all the accolades, the way they conducted themselves make them stand out and past the love of America down to us.

The numbers are getting smaller every day, The monumental loss of young soldier's who gave their lives in that far away land on this very day shall never be forgotten. HRP

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
  18. My family we're dairy farmers an never fought in the war, we feed everyone, God Bless all that served.

19. Not to take anything away from the guys who served, they were for sure the greatest generation. But the folks at home were part of that generation too and most sacrificed in one way or another during the war and many served in civilian roles that were essential to the war effort. A couple generations later and we have a nation of clueless idiots.

j3harleys, Deuces, Ralphies54 and 4 others like this.
  20. 365B0658-95DD-4675-834E-69B64A220E0C.png

Let’s face it the greatest generation of all time. Selfless acts to save the masses.
    Today’s generation needs safe places because of “words”
    While these guys jumped out of planes, tanks, bombs, dealt with evil eye to eye. At 19-20 years old these where men of the highest caliber.
    There have been studies done, and the sacrifices this generation made men and women just simply would not happen today.
    I salute you all my brothers.

6507E5A8-572D-4ACF-A0F4-4163B7536EED.jpeg

Pats55, j3harleys, Deuces and 5 others like this.
  21. brady1929

brady1929

I doubt that any other generation will match them.

22. Pats55

Pats55
    from NJ

That motivated me to become a paratrooper. They were the best. They raised us right We wont see another group like them. We have our warriors now but a large part of our population of military age cant even qualify to get in to the Army. A sorry state of affairs

Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
    Deuces, VANDENPLAS and j3harleys like this.
  23. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Fellas - Please honor our veterans and leave the politics out of it..... please.

No politics allowed.

For those who had their post deleted for political content, please repost your honoring a veteran / minus any political comments.

I don’t want to close this thread In honor of our veterans, but as soon as you make political comments / statements - the complaints come in.

Thank you.

Bandit Billy and Deuces like this.
  24. Patriotism is lacking in our society today. HRP

OLSKOOL57 and Deuces like this.
  25. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

Yes that is why that era is called the greatest generation. People in the military and everyone at home did their job with no crying and whining, everyone was proud to have done a job for this great country!

Deuces likes this.