Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What did you do today?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Daniels Auto Repair, Jul 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Lower Ashland. :cool:

2. Both cooling fans took a shit on my wife's daily...drove to napa in my hot rod and all the counter people came out to the parking lot to see...the new fan assembly just fit in the 34's trunk. Was a pleasant 75 and sunny for a change. Great day! 34atnapa6_19.jpg

3. I worked on the area where I am going to build my garage. I am clearing the spot for the footings and the foundation. I still have about 2,000 yards of dirt to move out, but I have the machinery for the job. I am hoping to start construction in July.
    Bob

4. The37Kid

The37Kid

Got a late start today and arrived late at The Elephant's Trunk weekly flea market, bought a few items to flip. Stopped by to see tb33anda3rd in time to have lunch with Ted & Donna and help unload a slip roller he bought at a local estate sale. I took his advice and instruction and got there just after everything turned FREE. I lost count of the trips from the book cases to car, got the market covered with books & sparkplugs for a while. Got a nice wheel chock too. Bob DSCF1344.JPG DSCF1457.JPG

5. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

Went to an car guys auction that is down sizing. He is 80 years old and collected everything you could think of all his life and never sold anything. I ended up with a bunch of old car parts, some original shop manuals and misc. other stuff, plus a few hundred hubcaps, I couldn't help myself! Had to take one load home and go back with the trailer. Life is good:D

alanp561 and The37Kid like this.
  6. I actually made a ton of progress in my shop clearing. DAMN, I am so excited to uncover this car and restart the restoration.... Picture 29599.jpg Picture 29601.jpg

7. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

I’ve been busting my ass this weekend trying to get this Olds on the road. 61 Super 88 I bought a couple months ago. I bought it sight unseen from an estate. Was supposed to be a running driving car but it was pretty obvious that wasn’t the case when I got it. It wiped out 2 starters and the second destroyed the flywheel. The exhaust was also routed to hit the steering on left turns, which broke the ear off the manifold. This weekend I pulled the manifold out, blasted and VHT painted a new one, pulled the trans and changed the flywheel, then reassembled. Last night I started it up and tonight I’ll work on recrafting the exhaust to clear the steering. Other than that it’s just been a lot of trouble shooting as I go. Bolts not seated properly, a coarse thread nut on a fine thread u bolt on the rear yoke... it’s getting there. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

8. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I took "Old Blue" for it's first good run this spring, as I needed some lumber. The 390 still purrs like a kitten, with plenty of power on tap. Been driving it since '73, towing everything from Jeeps to Funny Cars, and Track Roadsters. Purchase price $600.00, memories, priceless ! IMG_3021.JPG

9. Pardon my ignorance, what kind of transmission is that?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

No need to apologize. This is a GM Roto-Hydramatic, also commonly referred to as a “Slim Jim”. Very strange transmission, internal turbine with a damper plate like a clutch disc with just a splined input shaft. It’s honestly a piece of garbage, and if I keep the car will be the first thing to go.

11. Thanks for the explanation. I’ve heard of those, but never have never seen one. I’ve always had and been around Chevys and a few old Fords.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Black_Sheep likes this.
  12. I dug out some old wheels to compare the finish on them

20190602_171832.jpg 20190602_180452.jpg

Lil32 and Max Gearhead like this.
  13. king4144

king4144
    from NW Georgia

You have a truly great mother.

badgascoupe and rudestude like this.
  14. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Pulled the TRX1 off the 37 after work to get it ready to go on the 377.

classiccarjack likes this.
  15. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:( Well,not today,but yesterday.Paid bills,bought food and gas for the month.Meds for 3 months.Now broke again.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

osage orange likes this.
  16. BLACK STUDE

BLACK STUDE

Took the 55 Stude to the drags at Little River Fri. and Sat. Finally after 23 yrs. no cooling issues. The new aluminum radiator did the trick. Didn't win, but made 12 passes with no problems. Even did the round robin for a couple passes. Never saw more than 195° all weekend in 90° heat and 100% humidity.

17. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

18. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

Cut down a tree in front of the mother-in-laws trailer.
    2019 06 04 - On the way down.jpg
    We get heavy winds here. Two months ago, a storm took out 2 patio roofs and a trampoline - all within 500 feet of this spot.

I used a chain and come-a-long to control the fall. I have not owned a chain saw in over 30 years, a sawzall with a long crosscut blade s-l-o-w-l-y did the trick. After a long nap, dragged the remains to a brush pile on the back corner of the acre.

19. Started to put the front end together for the '33 sedan. Powder guy didn't have spindles done so we started with the axle, 'bones , and spring. We went and picked up the spindles on a hardware run.
    Knocked out the old bushings, installed, and reamed the new bushings. Made a "sandpaper on a stick" giz to clean the chrome out of the kingpin holes and installed the spindles. Added the tie rod and caliper brackets and set it in place.
    IMG_20190604_121018 (Medium).jpg
    I revised the dust collector for my sandblast cabinets after seeing a picture on the 'net. Should be easier to empty and take up less room to boot.
    dust deputy 3.jpg IMG_20190605_072353 (Medium).jpg
    Had an old set of '33-'34 bones blasted for another project; probably going to shorten the tie rod pieces, I think they stick out a little too much; but then again maybe something else as the overall length was shortened a bit when split back in the day.
    IMG_20190605_071645 (Medium).jpg IMG_20190605_071748 (Medium).jpg

classiccarjack likes this.
  20. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

More work on the Olds last night.

Last night I got the exhaust squared away. I had to redo this driver side piping for a couple reasons. First, I had to cut it out to get the original starter out. Secondly, the muffler shop that put this exhaust on must not have accounted for the movement of the pitman arm and center link, because when the car would turn to the left, the pitman arm would smash into the exhaust, and ultimately that’s what broke the ear off the cast iron manifold collector. I started cutting up some pipe and came up with this solution. I added spring clamp so the exhaust forward of the transmission crossmember would be removable, and could be easily removed to allow the starter a path out of it needed to be changed.

Then while I did my mandatory 15 minutes post hot-work waiting period, I put the glovebox liner back in and cleaned up and put away tools.

Weather permitting I’ll finally be able to take this thing for a drive tonight. Then change the oil.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Lil32, das858, chevy57dude and 3 others like this.
  21. IMG_20190605_145420040.jpg
    Finished polishing the door panel stainless. Pulled the panels off and installed it. Also added the armrests I picked up at Carlisle. Because of the side bars, they couldn't go in the stock position. So, I used the forward screw hole for the rear screw. Drilled a new one for the front. Mostly useful as a door pull.
    Hopefully they don't look to odd like that.

Lil32, lumpy 63, OLSKOOL57 and 2 others like this.
  22. Assembled a little more of the front end together and put the '33 on wheels. Had a little trouble with the trash; those plastic cans don't hold up very well.
    IMG_20190605_134052 (Medium).jpg IMG_20190605_105721 (Medium).jpg

23. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

I bought a Flathead 8 from a Airflow...

This thing looked to cool to pass it up. IMG_20190605_203918344.jpeg IMG_20190605_203930921.jpeg

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

oldpl8s and Unique Rustorations like this.
  24. Unique Rustorations

Unique Rustorations

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Came home, made burgers on the grill and decided instead of working “on” the shop (which is now approaching 9 months) I’d just go for a drive and enjoy a rare nice weather evening in northern Indiana. It was relaxing and needed. Hope everyone else got something done:) Randy

25. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

26. Today between rain showers. I went around back and jacked up a 76 caddy coup deville. caanger the tires & wheels & got it rolling and drug it around front with my M Farmall. There is a buyer coming tomorrow. It think it will become a demo derby car? selling it for about scrap price $500

RICH B likes this.
  27. Leveled my new project- an original 1930 flat bed truck 1 1/2 ton. Removed a good hand full of u-bolts and misc brackets along with some old wiring. The back panels (the upper with window hole and lower) are now on the table.
    Time for some 1" tubing!

28. brokedownbiker

brokedownbiker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

installed a remote battery disconnect switch and hooked up a seat belt that has been hanging loose for a couple of months on the '41. Stared at the freshly rebuilt trans for the '51 Ford for awhile. Cleaned up the '41 for a show this weekend.

classiccarjack and chevy57dude like this.
  29. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Replaced all the black plastic inserts of my rear 4 bar set up,old ones crumbling after about 5 years. Had been putting it off,but got it done. And tranny rear mount too.

alanp561 likes this.
  30. I sold a couple pair of disc brake setups for cheap but I would never use them again and they were taking up space.
    Then I tackled replacing the inner door handle return springs on the 41, tough little bastards to get on and off I tell ya, plus just way to many screws in those door panels..ha ha

chevy57dude likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.