Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Is it worth over $20,000 if it doesn't run?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by exterminator, Jun 4, 2019.

1. Gerrys

Gerrys

Some running driving cars need a complete mechanical redo and add up to more that it is worth. Without the specific are too many variables.

2. Went to see a Caddy cash in hand, advertised as running, the guy could not get it running. I'm glad I walked away.
    Then found another for a bit more that is much nicer, no rust, updated engine and RUNs. done deal

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
    31hotrodguy likes this.
  3. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

You did a great job!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

bowie and Baumi like this.
  4. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

See I look at that as a negotiating tool because the price just went down. And the seller who is now probably getting nervous just might drop the price even more depending on how long he takes to try and start it.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. Sorta depends greatly on what it is ???
    And what it needs ???
    Maybe also what other examples are bringing on the market.

The37Kid likes this.
  6. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

A crate engine costs $1500. How much does body and paint cost?

It's a lot easier and cheaper to make it run than look good.

7. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Another time we bought a 40 coupe for $28000. Fresh paint-chassis done all new trim and glass bumpers etc. No eng trans uph etc but all the hard to find parts Needed the rest. Would do it again in a heartbeat--paint and body work alone around here would be $12-15K minimum and the time in paint jail.

8. its always worth what two people agree to no more no less.....................

9. Don't forget- "not running" means different things to different people- to me it means the heads are in the trunk, and no carb or the trans doesn't spin. I have gone to see "not running" cars for sale where one fault was a bad condenser, and another they had fitted an electronic ignition, which had failed. The sellers had no mechanical knowledge, and I picked these up real sweet and had them running in a few minutes.

10. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

The37Kid and 31Vicky with a hemi like this.
  11. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I have never bought a car over $13,000, and won’t pay half that much now. That was for a daily driver, too, toys, nowhere close to that. Only thing I have bought at the $20,000 or higher level has been semi trucks that paid for themselves by working them. Ive never had that kind of income, much less disposable income. Paycheck to paycheck, with a few crumbs left over. But I get by and am happy, that’s all that matters.....

Cantankerous62, joeycarpunk and RMR&C like this.
  12. mickeyc

mickeyc

I have nearly the amount in question tied up in a 32 Ford 3 window. To include a chassis with title in my name. Also parts from at least 10 different bodies from
    various parts of the country gathered gradually in the last several years. It would indeed take 20 K to buy it
    from me or something equivalent that I really like.

neverdun likes this.
  13. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looking out at that pocket change rust bucket Model A Victoria at the side of the garage paying 20 K for a really nice body and chassis with a clear title that doesn't need a lot of body work nor chassis work sounds great right now. I can build engines a lot easier than I can build bodies. I've got a flathead and all the attending goodies, a 330 Desoto hemi needing a full rebuild plus the stick over trans or a mid 80's torqueflite or a couple of 396 or 350's so engines aren't an issue outside of the coin to build them.
    Thinking about it though a complete titled 20 or so desirable =32/36 Non runner that you could put your drive train in and little more might be the bargain of the year in the long run. I'm taking nice body, decent finished chassis and presentable interior. That 20 or so year build that someone tore the engine down on to redo it and let life get in the way

D-Russ likes this.
  14. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I'm not buying it.....:D

15. The37Kid

The37Kid

It all depends on what the vehicle is and what your goal is, running by the end of the summer or in the next five years. Is it your first and only project or just an addition to the pile? Bob

16. wvenfield

wvenfield

I'm not in the market for a $20,000 car so I don't think about it.

partsdawg likes this.
  17. clem

clem

We have always used this saying for land purchases.
    For both instances, I always understood it to mean that you paid over market value, but as they are not making land ( or original deuces) anymore that it is a sure thing that the value of either will eventually go up, hence the saying, - that ‘you bought it too soon’.

And yes, you are correct in saying that they will never be cheaper ! - ( in theory ).

wackdaddy, X-cpe and The37Kid like this.
  18. 2FordGuy

2FordGuy

I came across a shelby R model that was in pieces I would have gladly paid 20k for. Its probably worth 500g with its racing history.

Sent from my SM-N950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

19. deucendude

deucendude
    from norcal

Lots of cars worth a whole lot more than 20k that don't run !

49ratfink likes this.
  20. Same here, I would pay 20K for a Deuce and a Burger. :p Sorry did not get much sleep last night.:rolleyes:

21. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I know of a 32 that has not run in a good 15 years and it was another 10 years of sitting before that. just needs the basics gone through from sitting. there is not a man on this board who would not pay $20,000 for it. worth 3 times that if not more.

Baumi and 31hotrodguy like this.
  22. The37Kid

The37Kid

There are lots of $20,000. cars WITH OUT engines that world be bought in a heart beat if offered. Bob

31hotrodguy likes this.
  23. Started and ran for 15 seconds. Never sat in or driven. Got $220,000.
    IMG_3327.jpg

49ratfink, williebill, Baumi and 4 others like this.
  24. clem

clem

^^^^^^ I can’t believe that you never drove it ! The temptation would be too much for me. I am curious as to why you never did.

25. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

$20,000?
    That’s 40 parts cars.

Baumi likes this.
  26. I could build that Vicky body for ya!

There are lots of cars I'd pay $20K for with no drive train at all! First for me would be a C1 Corvette, or most any 32 Ford.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
    31hotrodguy likes this.
  27. $20,000 ain't what it used to be

partsdawg, 31hotrodguy and da34guy like this.