Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration 6 June 1944

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by COCONUTS, Jun 6, 2019.

Tags:
  1. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

June 6, 1944, Allied invasion of Normandy, where the Western Allies launched the largest amphibious invasion in history. I know you have all seen the picture of Eisenhower talking to a solider of the 101st, I have often wonder what Dwight said and more important what the solider said back. I have had the honor of meeting three men that took part in the invasion and if you total my 31 years in the Army, there is nothing that I have done to match what these guys did on June 6, 1944.

2. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

Thank you for your service and to all who have served including 3 of my great uncles who all served in the European theater and were lucky to come home.

I wish I could have learned more from them when they were still alive but like most vets from this time they were pretty tight lipped about their time in the service.

Cliff Ramsdell

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
  3. THANK YOU for your service! Bruce. 001.JPG

4. catdad49

catdad49

Coconuts and Cliff, I'm right with you on your sentiments. My Dad didn't say much about the war unless it was about the English pubs or their bad weather. My daughter was doing some research a few years ago and found out that My Dad was at Normandy! Pop Never mentioned That! He was wounded in late Aug. of '44 and never made it to Paris with his unit, That he mentioned. Probably heard all the stories about the gratefulness of the French women!!!! A Moment of Silence for A!! These Great Men and Women is definitely the order of the day. With Reverence, Carp.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019

5. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

We all owe a lot of thanks to that our greatest generation. Without them we wouldn’t have the life that we have now. This would be a totally different world.

6. RMONTY

RMONTY

I think it's been said many times but the general consensus is had it not been for this day back in 1944 we would all be speaking German as the primary language! Thank you to those who served then and those that serve now.

7. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

upload_2019-6-6_12-10-6.png
    Make the entire world great again!

8. OLSKOOL57

OLSKOOL57

Most Veterans who have seen war generally do not speak of it.

9. belair

belair

Stephen Ambrose tells the story of Ike talking to a group of (British, I think) commandos, telling them "We expect losses in this unit to be in excess of 60%." Ambrose said "Every man in that unit looked to his left, and looked to his right, and thought "You poor son-of-a-bitch."

10. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

We will never know what was lost. All those boys and that's what they were, just little boys. There were some girls too.

We have no idea what could have been. It's unfathomable.

From the most mundane like hot rods that never were, to really big stuff like unbroken families, sons,daughters and grandchildren that never were.

Who knows, the cure for cancer might have died on those beaches.

11. pkhammer

pkhammer

It's hard for me to even watch a movie such "Saving Private Ryan". As scary as it is watching a re-creation of that day is on TV, I can't even imagine what it'd been like actually living it. My hat is off and head bowed in honor of all those that have fought for the freedom of this country!

12. Deuces

Deuces

It's on AMC right now......

13. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I just returned from being a Guardian on an Honor Flight . Most awarding thing I have committed to in many years . Thank you to all who have served to give us the freedoms we take for granted daily . Thank you again , and you will remain in my prayers .

14. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

I agree my 2 years was very non-consequential compared to what those soldiers did on D-Day

15. OLSKOOL57

OLSKOOL57

Yes, I am sure it may of been. But, your 2 years is just as important. You went when called and served your Country. You would have done what was needed, that 2 years was very consequential.

16. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

The was was bad enough, but it didn't compare to the treatment we received when we came home.

USMercUte, CME1, Darryl Deir and 5 others like this.
  17. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I salute them all, my dad(RIP) was in the 101st.

18. This is my thinking. And I don't have a connection to the European Theater as my grandfather was in the Pacific. But when people ask for the vets to stand and be recognized I don't. I was sent overseas for the second gulf war and I can retire in Sept of 20 with 20 good years (but will stick around if I can). I just feel I was behind the lines in an air conditioned tent and could drink if I want too. So let the guys and gals who saw action stand get there due recognition as they deserve it.

Mike

19. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

We all did what our country asked of us

20. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

We called them REMF

21. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

I remember taking the “slow boat” home from the “big sand box” in the Middle East. We had been at sea for about 4 to 6 weeks and they played saving Private Ryan aboard ship on June 6th. I believe it was the day we did our shell back ceremony too. Kind cool.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

22. OLSKOOL57

OLSKOOL57

Yes, I definitely remember coming home in 1968. There were protesters at the airport.

Deuces, Darryl Deir, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  23. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I get so frustrated , people stand up and Bitch about our President and this country . It does have issues , but it is still a damn long way ahead of the second place inline . Exercise your voting rights and make changes . It will work out better for you than better than being a whining candy ass . I would like to see some of these people stand up in N. Korea and complain about the political head . I wonder what the outcome of that would be ? We live in the best place of the face of this earth because many have made the sacrifice , to serve to give us what we take for granted daily . Stand up and Thank them ! They deserve it ! Thank all of you again , you are truly the backbone of this great nation we all call home.

USMercUte, Darryl Deir, Stogy and 7 others like this.
  24. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

We were told not to wear our uniforms while flying home. However with our short hair I’m sure people knew that we were in the service

25. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

I have said that for years. There are things wrong with this country, but it still is the best place to live. Change what is wrong at the ballot box, and stop all of the BS protests

26. catdad49

catdad49

OK, guys. No politics, please. Yesterday was quite an emotional one (at least for me). I viewed many of the different ceremonies and just seeing those brave young men that were still able to attend brought tears to my eyes ( like right now) and put extreme Pride and Reverence in my heart. God Bless Them and Our Great Country!

Last edited: Jul 27, 2019
    USMercUte, Darryl Deir, Stogy and 5 others like this.
  27. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

Yes God bless them and this great country

28. George

George

I do Civil War re-enacting. Some years ago we were doing a living history and was approached by an older fellow who had a post War Bomber Jacket for sale. It was post War because the liner had the D Day landing map printed on it. He had a newspaper article talking about a Ranger Captain who participated in the landing ( Point Du Hoc (sp?) I think) and the high casualty rate his Company suffered. Went on to say that he'd seen a number of D Day movies like "The Longest Day" w/o any problems, but he freaked out watching Pvt. Ryan & had to leave the theatre. The guy was the one standing in front of me......

29. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

You may not have seen action, but you still served. When they ask vets to stand, stand and be proud, and be recognized!

30. Dangerousdan

Dangerousdan
    from Arizona

God bless America and the men that made it great.

USMercUte, Darryl Deir, Stogy and 4 others like this.