Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Hand held sand blaster

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Darin Younce, Jun 6, 2019.

1. Darin Younce

Darin Younce

Was wondering if any one here has used one of these small hand held sand blasters and had decent results. Saw one at Tractor Supply called a job smart, looks like a large paint gun. I used to have a good sand blaster and high cfm compressor but sold it all and understand the difference between a real blaster and one of these types but I just want to blast the dash I bought for my 47 ford. I have seen some others sorta like this with a different set up. A fellow I knew some time ago had a setup where you just poured sand or media in a a bucket and it was gravity fed and was crappy so I know the difference of a gravity vs pressurized blaster.

2. I have one. It works fine on small parts, but only holds enough sand for about a minute worth of blasting. Would take some time and many refills to blast a dash with one.

3. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

4. 26Troadster

26Troadster

5. They work great for small parts
    A bit messy
    Do it outside

6. Redrodguy

Redrodguy

I've used a SpeedBlaster gravity feed with HF media for small parts - works great. Wear painters coveralls and cover everything (on you) that you don't want media in or on - hands, ears, nose, mouth and especially eyes (gloves, face shield, goggles and dust mask).

LAROKE likes this.
  7. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

8. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

9. Luke stone

Luke stone

I have a snap on suction fed one use it really for blasting between seams when welding or something I no I can't get to after I've welded

Luke

Attached Files:

10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've got a Sears siphon feed that I bought at a yard sale (about 45 bucks new) that works great as long as you have good dry sand and don't overfill the container. The issue with it is that for a small item it takes longer to dig it out of the shed and set it up than it does to sandblast the item in a lot of cases. if a guy doesn't have a blast cabinet one of those little gravity feeds looks pretty handy for doing small things like a bracket or pulley or a few bolts.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  11. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I say use a DA to sand your dash

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  12. LAROKE

LAROKE

I have one of these as well. Use it things like cowl vent channels and other inaccessible places.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  13. topher5150

topher5150

I saw somewhere where you can buy and sand blaster attachment for your power washer

14. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have one of those Eastwood dual blaster contraptions that I use to blast frames and such. I need to put that thing on CL as it just takes up room.

15. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

You can store it in my shop!

Texas Webb and lothiandon1940 like this.
  16. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The only thing your shop needs is a firestone sign outside and a roadster currently under construction inside!

17. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

18. Darin Younce

Darin Younce

Yeah I had a nice outfit pressurized, pot ac had I think high 20, cfm cant remember but could hold 110 psi pounds blasting all day . I got my intro into resto back around 1974 by blasting this same 47 ford I am currently working on . Blasted horse trailers , cars you name it . Did an ole hay rake once , all those tines, a lot of wasted sand but put a tarp down and gathered a lot of sand and sifted it. Several post saying to do it outside , no way I would ever blast indoors, talkin about a mess.

19. Darin Younce

Darin Younce

20. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

With the Quik-Blast Cadillac blaster you can blast indoors with very little mess! You would have to do a lot of blasting to justify paying for one though!
    http://store.blowersinc.com/sandblasters-seperators/quik-blast-2-20ft-hose/

21. 26Troadster

26Troadster

yes it seems to do fine and i have been using black beauty medium, but like others say wear protective clothing.

22. Darin Younce

Darin Younce

Thanks , headed to Tractor Supply . Says on line they have it

23. Works for small items, but man I does make a mess

24. Darin Younce

Darin Younce

Took probably an hour to get this far. A far cry from a pressurized blaster but it is what it is. I Sanded after the blasting.

Attached Files:

25. Looks good^^^^^

26. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

i have a 110lb pressure blaster from eastwood which has worked great for about 30 years. decided to buy one of those gravity ones for small jobs and they work ok but, they don't hold much media. reading this thread got me thinking, what if you punched a 5/8th hole in the lid and attach a hose. then hang a 5 gallon bucket from a fixture tripod high enough so the hose could be attached in the bottom, then it would last longer. probably wouldn't hurt to glue a funnel to the bottom to attach the hose to either. what do you think? i think i will try this when i get the time. i am doing a '23 c cab' truck body, putting a new set of heads on '63 plymouth and finishing the body work on the front sheet metal on my rpu and that's just this week!!

27. Darin Younce

Darin Younce

As I was blasting this dash I thought of the same thing. There is a big difference in this outfit and a pressurized blaster no doubt. This one is sorta hit and miss , did good on paint but poor on rust. I was thinking to get a constant flow of media you could do exactly what flatheadgary suggest and def add a funnel. Another thing is the nozzle is just a tad too big to start with. It was probably close to 1/4 inch and as I recall we used to start out with a nozzle around 1/8 and when it got to 3/16 or bigger we would replace it.

28. dan31

dan31

Just don't use silica sand ,bad stuff to breath in. Make sure your sand or black beauty is very dry and your air lines are also . Got a harbor freight one ,great for spot blasting but your not going to do any real square footage with it.

29. 26Troadster

26Troadster

looks good. i've used mine to blast headers and exhaust manifolds. i have used sugar sand and play sand (a tad bigger and heavier) but like the black beauty best and it did the job. we have the same gun in a blast cabinet but i can't hardly see into it so i use it open. it's hard to beat a pressurized system but for a small job these are easy to setup and use.

30. Darin Younce

Darin Younce

MY first experience with a blaster back in 1974 was a Tip brand as I recall , later I was at a sale and bought a big industrial size blaster with a bunch of hardware , tips and so forth. This thing was gigantic, worked great but heavy to move around . With these pressurized types you better have a good water filter and good dry sand or you would deal with clogs all day.Funny, in the seventies before all these acid wash and whatever wash jeans came out , I had blasted jeans , everybody wanted their's to be like mine ( at least mine were on the front side) So I actually blasted a few and did one leather jacket which actually turned out cool. As far as Silica ,I have no idea how much of that silica I breathed in over the years , I don't recall ever being told it was bad back then . I don't want to get back into that but I will say I saw and read about this dustless blasting they do now and I think that would be a pretty good business to get into but the start up cost is a bit high. I often though a person could get into a business where all you did was get a car cleaned up for resto, disassemble, blast every thing , prime or coat with what ever they wanted and leave the finishing up to them . I had this idea back years ago and now I see these mobile blasting businesses . Dustless, Soda, and whatever .