Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 59AB still leaking oil after new seals

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Inked Monkey, Jun 5, 2019.

1. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

I'm beating my head against the wall here. I just replaced the rear main seal and pan gaskets on the flathead in my rpu last night. I went to the garage today and it appears to be dripping the fresh oil out of the cotter pin hole! How is that even possible since I haven't started the motor? If there was a hole in the pan, I would think that I would have seen it when I was cleaning everything. Any ideas?

I put a bowl under it to see how much actually comes out while I'm at work.

2. deucendude

deucendude
    from norcal

Someone is messing with you!

Inked Monkey likes this.
  3. Dak Rat

Dak Rat
    from NoDak

I don't know which seal you used (white or black) but you must follow the instructions to the letter. The black ones need to be soaked in oil for about 24 hours. The white ones (Teflon) just need to be lubed with a little 30W oil before install. Also they usually come with a cutting gauge which tells you how much to leave where they butt together when you drop on the oil pan. I always put a little permatex on the ends just before the pan goes on. They always seem to "weep" a little lube no matter what you do!

4. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oil leaks? Gotta look at the bright side, at least you know there's some in it.

Inked Monkey likes this.

5. paleot

paleot
    from louisiana

I used the neoprene seals in my 8BA stopped the drips I think I got them from speedway

6. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

Well unfortunately I have to drop the pan again. It was still leaking the fresh oil out when I got home last night. Must have a pinhole in the pan somewhere.

I'll drop it tonight and fill the pan with water to see where it's leaking.

7. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

Found the culprit. Who knew such a tiny hole could leak so much? Little weld fixed it......hopefully.
    20190606_165706.jpg

Departed, alchemy and RMR&C like this.