Register now to get rid of these ads!

History y block flamethrower?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by silent rick, Jul 7, 2014.

1. silent rick

silent rick

does anybody know if grant or spalding made a flamethrower distributor for the ford y block? does anyone have a photo?

2. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

1.Yes they did(had one). 2 . No, I don't

3. here

Attached Files:

loudbang likes this.
  4. silent rick

silent rick

thanks guys, do you have a pic of it installed on the engine?

5. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

I know this is an old thread but one of the things I dig about the hamb is it seems to be a good reference for stuff like this-

I got one for my Model A pickup... which I paid through the nose for because I really wanted it and I couldn't seem to find ANY for sale anywhere... the problem was it wasn't a real Y-Block it was actually for a 289/302 which I would imagine is also pretty rare but that's not what I thought I bought so initially I was kinda pissed about it.

This one is for a Y-Block. I think the 302 version could be modified to work with a y-block, but I plan to run that on the 302 I have in the ranch so that'll have a home and its all good under the hood...

Pictures below of an actual y-block Flamethrower. This one has also been converted to Pertronix- so no points. The Y-Block dizzy has a tach drive though. The orange one in the block is the 302 version but they're pretty close to identical except for gear placement/ gear and the shaft length is a tad different.

IMG_2454.jpg IMG_2409.jpg IMG_2394.jpg

IMG_6289.JPG 15276538_917581491674975_1636372360703508480_n.jpg

6. Brad333

Brad333

Great thing about these Flamethrowers is how simple the base can be modified or swapped for different applications. I'm modifying one at the moment for a 392 Hemi. Bought a NOS SBC/BBC Flamethrower and a very rough 331/354 Hemi Flamethrower unit. Both engines rotate the same way so I fit the NOS chevy top to the Hemi base. The 392 has a longer shaft so I pulled one from an old SBC/BBC Distributor that had a tach drive. I needed the tach drive and Flamethrower tach drives are impossible to find... The chev tach drive bits fit with a little modification and some machine work. Then shortened the shaft to match the 392 Hemi length I needed. Now I have a Flamethrower with tach drive for a 392 Hemi. A lot easier then trying and cheaper then trying to find one...

Cant see why something similar couldn't easily be done with the 302/Y-Block application.

silent rick, kadillackid and loudbang like this.
  7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool, That folks is a seriously good reason for digging out an old long dead thread. . Nice stuff there Tuck and a very cool Y block.

Tuck and loudbang like this.
  8. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

thise valve covers are bitchin

Tuck and loudbang like this.
  9. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

I’ve got one for a Y I was planning on using I a future build. They definitely look cool

10. silent rick

silent rick

i did end up finding one for my Y block and another for my dodge hemi to go along with the one on my 283.
    i'd love to find a set of the headers tuck is running on his Y block or end up doing what titus did for his. you crazy minnesotians.

Tuck likes this.
  11. killbilly

killbilly

Rick post a picture of your valve covers

12. silent rick

silent rick

i had the opportunity to purchase a pair like tuck's but i waited too long and somebody else grabbed them.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
    Tuck likes this.
  13. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

@silent rick The reflection in the log from those rules!! I thought it was finned at first. Rick I'm gonna make a jig to remake the hedman hedders on the pickup I'll let you know how it goes maybe I can squeeze out a set of four. Those hedders @titus made for his 32 are awesome-

14. silent rick

silent rick

my two favorite jeffs from minnesota. i'd love a set of headers if/when you find the time to make them.

yeah, the polish on the manifold is killer. i have 4 intake/carb options for this engine. it's a 292 bored to std 312 size which now makes it a 299 inch.

gotta love them sub 300 inch V8's

Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
    Tuck likes this.
  15. /QUOTE]

Got me too...:rolleyes: