Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Those goddamned "30 minute jobs" that aren't

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NAES, Jun 5, 2019.

1. NAES

NAES

I'll be the first to admit that I grossly underestimate the time it'll take to get pretty much anything in life finished. Most of that comes from trying to get as much as possible done with the free time I have available. Funny that the list I make for myself rarely gets completed in the timeframe I have.

My latest one is replacing the fuel pump on my '53 Chrysler. I have a 360 stuffed in there and thought I had enough room to loosen it up and pop it out.

Nope. Alternator had to come off and I had to loosen a motor mount and jack up one side of the engine to clear the upper control arm. Aaaannnndddd the soft fuel line was questionable so it got replaced as well. Its back together now and I'm tidying up a few loose ends now.

Anyone guilty of living in the same fantasy world as me?

NAES View attachment 4306336 20190605_105247.jpeg

Sent from my SM-N910V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

when non car builder comments that it must take a long time to build one of these old cars - I reply that nothin' takes more than 15 minutes - mind you, that it may be thousands of 15 minute increments

bobss396, cktasto, '51 Norm and 3 others like this.
  3. 2935ford

2935ford

Don't know what you're talking about.....never happens to me! :)

mgtstumpy and Spoggie like this.
  4. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

This is exactly why I don't keep any records of my labor hours.
    I love it when the wife says: " I thought you finished that yesterday.".

5. wicarnut

wicarnut

You are not alone. I have Never have done a 5 minute job in 5 minutes my entire life. I have learned watching TV that you can do a complete build in 4/5 30 minute shows, man those guys are good. Now that I'm old, 5 minute projects can take 5 hours to 5 days. It seems in every DIY project some unforeseen problem arises, One of my favorite expressions of late is " Why does everything turn into a F storey "

6. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

I tell my kids "hey give me a hand...it will only take 5 minutes"........they know nothing takes 5 minutes anymore.

LBCD, waxhead, Spoggie and 1 other person like this.
  7. LAROKE

LAROKE

I can usually get it running by the third time I do it.

8. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

If it takes 5 minutes, it'll take me 5 hours to get the shit outta the way so I can get to the thing I want change that takes only 5 minutes to change!

I hate stuff I can clearly see, but there's no way to get to them without taking half the vehicle apart!

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
    wicarnut and TrailerTrashToo like this.
  9. lake_harley

lake_harley

When my fabrication business was at full boil, people would often ask to sneak in a job that will be "really quick". I saw a sign in a business once, and wished I had one like it that said something like, "So want me to quit working on the rush job I was rushing on, to work on your rush job?"

Lynn

wicarnut, VANDENPLAS and catdad49 like this.
  10. catdad49

catdad49

If I charged myself labor...............I couldn't afford Me!

11. catdad49

catdad49

Also, I get really suspicious when that 5 min. job actually takes 5 mins.! Trust me That doesn't happen often.

12. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

Biggest lie ever told: "Installs in minutes"
    My time estimation skills are very lacking

catdad49 likes this.
  13. When I get a "It will only take you 5 minutes" job request, my standard answer is "All 5 minute jobs take at least 2 hours- I'll have the one I'm doing now finished in about 5 minutes - so come back in a couple of hours"

NAES, INVISIBLEKID, mgtstumpy and 2 others like this.
  14. Every.damn.time. I do something for my car YES !!

Quick tune up? Cap screws seized!
    Replace wheel cylinders .... bolts seized , drums stuck on, lines fubar
    Check timing .... where’s that damn timing light !
    See why radio don’t work WTF is this wiring mess !!!!

I think it’s part these old relics we work on, and part the standard of the job we want. Most if not all of us want a quality job on our cars.

Also a “bolt on” is never truly a bolt on.
    And a quick carb adjust turns into fixing a vacuum line, cleaning up wiring better, polish or paint the air cleaner or valve covers etc.

I went and installed a inline Fuel filter and tank shit offon my 53 Chrysler that turned into 3 days of scraping and sanding the floors and detailing the underside ?!?!
    Wtf I just wanted a fuel filter installed ! Lol!

15. manyolcars

manyolcars

What happened to NO PROFANITIES IN THE TITLE???

16. LAROKE

LAROKE

Every five minute job is one broken bolt away from becoming an all day ordeal

17. I just go by whatever "the book" says it will take....LOL

My biggest problem is "mission creep"
    Once I get through all the trials and tribulations of getting something apart and the new part ready to install that little voice in my head starts talking "man, it took so much work to get in here, maybe you should just go ahead and fix/replace X while you're here so you don't have to go through this aggravation again down the road" This usually leads to more disassembly, cursing, and waiting for a $3 part.
    And, is it just me or do parts come apart better and jobs go smoother after you bleed on them a little bit?
    Chappy

18. oj

oj

My buddy Albers has coined the term for it: Project Entanglement Syndrome (PES) where the simpler the project looks the longer it'll take.

RidgeRunner and catdad49 like this.
  19. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

It is not just cars-When the better half gives me a honey do list the five minute jobs are never 5 min. Of course if I stopped procrastinating they would get done faster. In my defense after working on other peoples homes all week working on our home is not that appealing.

catdad49 likes this.
  20. bschwoeble

bschwoeble

I grit my teeth when my buddy says " I figure this should only take an hour to do ". To me, he's already jinxed himself.

21. turdmagnet

turdmagnet

I've given up saying a time estimate when the better half asks how long it will take to get something done. Now I respond with the number of beers I expect it to take!!!!

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

pila38, catdad49 and arkiehotrods like this.
  22. Pats55

Pats55
    from NJ

My five-minute jobs, usually causes me to lose my will to live

23. wicarnut

wicarnut

Agree,
    When I had my Tool & Die/Pattern Shop 36 years it was always a huge balancing act to try to keep everyone happy. All customers feel they are the most important one you will ever have and the Sun will not come up tomorrow if they can't get it done NOW ! Funny thing, the Sun has/will always come up, I did not cause a failure once, LOL. Then there's the employee problem, Tool & Die Makers/Pattern Makers are highly skilled intelligent men that are the biggest PIA, tears when cut back to 40 hours, anything over 45/48 way to much They have many important personal things that need attention, my favorite memory, just can't work this Saturday, my wife is having a rummage sale. that was his last day at my shop. My solution was with the customers was, he who pays promptly gets first priority, after some years actually developed a good group of customers, somewhat reasonable and willing to pay for the "Rush Job" I never found the solution with the help, went to management classes, experimented but after time I gave up and I just fired them when they pissed me off for the last time, over 36 years 30/40 employees over the years and maybe 2 or 3, I'd ever work with again. But I'd still do it again, the positives still out weighed the negatives for me.

catdad49, Algoma56 and lake_harley like this.
  24. catdad49

catdad49

Now, honey-dos are whole different ball game! Her ques., "How long?" My ans. , As Long as it Takes!"

OLSKOOL57 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  25. X-cpe

X-cpe

Right up there with "bolt on" and "universal fit"

I was born slow and exploit it to the max.

My students are always wanting to do something to their cars that will only take "half an hour", they just have no clue how many "half hours" it will take.

catdad49 likes this.
  26. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I just finished one of those jobs today, weeks later. I updated the old electricals and installed a new coil for peace of mind while I was at it. Engine had power at distributor and fuel so it cranked over but wouldn't start. Mmm, time to walk away and problem solve. Swapped in the old coil today and it started so it's now time to return the new coil for refund.

catdad49 likes this.
  27. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Murphy must visit you guys too! He sure hangs around here every time I start a quick and easy task!

catdad49, VANDENPLAS and mgtstumpy like this.
  28. '51 Norm

'51 Norm
    from colorado

Nothing delays a project more than "well as long as we are here".
    It's not a real project until you bleed on it.

X-cpe, catdad49, arkiehotrods and 3 others like this.

29. I call it the “ might as wells”
    Might as well fix the wiring if I’m doing the coil
    Might as well fab a bracket for it as well
    Might as well replace the hard ware
    Might as well detail the engine bay
    Might as well clean the front cross member
    Might as well run new brake and cooler lines
    Might as well fix these oil leaks
    Might as well swap exhaust and intake manifolds
    Might as well rebuild the tranny
    Might as well replace the diff gears
    Might as well clean up the trunk
    Might as well fix this chrome trim
    Nights as well clean up the body work
    Might as well replace the carpet
    Might as well redo the seats
    Might as well repaint the car........

3 years later......MAN THAT TUNE UP TOOK A LONG TIME !!!

30. 34Larry

34Larry

Man ain't it the truth, ditto everything posted. EVERYTHING, (not just cars) takes more and more time as one get older also.