Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical About this flathead valve job

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Vonn Ditch, Jun 5, 2019.

1. Vonn Ditch

Vonn Ditch
    from LA

Will the machine shop need the valve guides in or out to do the seats in the block on an 8BA flathead block? Asking for a friend.

2. Not having done one before, I don't know how you could without them. The old Souix Valve machine I had you needed the guides in I the heads to finish grind the seats properly.

That being said, I wouldn't have the machine shop do it if they don't tell you the need the guides or not to do it.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
    Texas Webb likes this.
  3. 19Fordy

19Fordy

I think "Nailhead" nailed it.

Texas Webb likes this.
  4. deucemac

deucemac

Both Souix and Black and Decker offered pilots for flathead Fords that fit the guide bore and provide a pilot to locate the stone holder properly on the valve seat. I always preferred the Black and Decker unit because it centered itself in both the valve guide and life bores. Unfortunately the pilot portion of each are different and do not allow interchange of the stone holders. If the machine shop doesn't have the correct pilot, find a shop that does. Old flathead guides don't necessarily fit as tight as I like in the bore as I would like without the rest of the assembly and could prevent a concentric cut on the seat. If the machine shop is not WELL versed in doing flathead valve seat grinding, find another one. Also, doing a valve job and retaining the non adjustable lifters requires a deft hand to grind the valves and seats plus tipping the stem to get an accurate clearance. If using adjustable lifters, it isn't critical. However, adjustable lifters have been known to loosen up and clatter sometimes. A non adjustable lifter setup, done properly will remain quiet forever. I was taught by an old Ford mechanic over 50 years ago how to do a proper valve job. Flatheads done right are sweet running. Done wrong, they can be a clattering nightmare. So chose wisely. God luck.

RMR&C and Texas Webb like this.

5. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Why not call the machinists and ask them?

6. alchemy

alchemy

And then there is the rare practice of guys knurling the guides and pressing them in permanently. Then cut the seats to fit those. Ensures perfect concentricity.

Anyone here ever done that? How'd it work out?

7. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

It is impossible to do a good valve job on a flathead Ford unless the guides are pressed in the block.
    This interference fit can be achieved by several different methods.
    1- Knurling and anaerobic epoxy.
    2- Copper plating the OD of the guide.
    2- Machining new guides from bar stock.

8. Vonn Ditch

Vonn Ditch
    from LA

Thanks guys looks like guides in for the best job.