Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Recommendation needed for Freight shipping company

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Brians53vicky, Jun 5, 2019.

1. Brians53vicky

Brians53vicky
    from Monroe, MI

Please let me know of a good, reputable, reasonably priced freight shipping company.

Going from Boston, MA to Toledo, Ohio in case that matters.

Thanks !

2. Binkman

Binkman

I use EngineShippers.Com.
    I have used them at least a dozen times with zero problems.
    They are a broker but get the job done at about half what UPS,FedEx, Yellow, Conway, etc can do it.
    Shipping is expensive and going higher.

3. what ate you shipping? size? weight?

4. Brians53vicky

Brians53vicky
    from Monroe, MI

Need to ship a rear axle that is 60” long and weighs appx 300 lbs.

5. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

I shipped a rear axle with engine shippers .com , really worked out well, but you have to palletize it in order to ship it with any outfit you chose 100_1919.JPG

5window and KoolKat-57 like this.
  6. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

I needed to ship a couple of large items recently. I found that if I got the shipping weight below 150 lbs that UPS had a reasonable cost. The second item was close to 400 lbs. I asked a friend of mine if he would ship it from Ky to Montana thru his business....which gets a discount????? It was going to be $500 with his discount and $1000 without it. That didn't work for me, so I kept looking. I found that these freight prices appear to be all over the place. I shipped a complete 80 gallon compressor from Ky to Az about ten years ago for $200. Anyway, don't be shocked by the variation in prices, they are rediculous. Try a site called freightcenter dot com. I had to put it that way, because when I put the direct link to it, it came up with a link to my account. Thats probably because it recognizes my computer but I couldn't take a chance that my personal account was going to be available to everyone on line. Obviously I had to spell out "dot com" to make it work. You will use ".com".

If you go to their site they will provide you with a list of freight haulers and quotes from each company. When I did mine, I ended up getting it shipped for about $200 instead of the $500 my friend with the business discount was getting. There is a "class" (I think thats what they called it) for freight that defines how they rate your shipment.
    Its basically a rating based on the length/width/height/weight ratio. They have a computer on the site that lets you
    easily and simply determine the class.

I was very happy with this site. A word of warning though to anyone shipping something other than a steel brick, spend a few dollars to insure it. That compressor I shipped got dropped even though it was securly attached to a small pallet and padded. Busted the chillers and the cast flywheel and ruined the pump. Luckily I had insurance. I received a Weatherhead Hose machine and it had beat the crate apart and damaged the cover and plug. I'm telling you that a Sherman tank can get damaged by these shipping companies. So take some insurance out.........

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
    Brians53vicky likes this.