Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Buick Straight 8 compound carburetion

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by strait8, May 24, 2019.

1. strait8

strait8
    from Skokie, IL

I am hoping to one day put compound carb system on 51 Special with 263 straight 8. I have the dual intake manifold from a 41' but no exhaust manifold or risers for it. I am trying to decide if I could run the stock dual carb manifold but utilize headers? I am thinking I will have a problem since there will be no heat riser although my current single carb system riser is currently stuck open and it does not pose much of any issue. I do have (2) risers each from separate single intake systems but it does not look as though they would adapt easily to the dual system. I know that the stock manifold systems split the carb barrels so that they feed front and back cylinders. I am wondering if fabricating an intake with mandrel bends and balance tube along with headers would be easier or better? Thinking of using 2 Strombergs (4 bolt) because that is what I have. I am posting a video of a guy who looks to have successfully done it using I think 2 Holleys. Anybody our there done this?

flyin-t likes this.
  2. kbgreen

kbgreen
    1. Georgia Hambers

The original design was for the engine to run on the front carb only until the progressive linkage kicked in the rear carb. The rear car has did not have a choke either. I'll include a couple links to the AACA/Buick site where you can see a discussion from one guy that built an exhaust manifold but used the stock intake. Then, if I can find it, another guy discussed making both carbs active synchronously which is technically a better set up as the front carb on stock set up would not be feed all cylinders equally. That guy reported more power and better fuel mileage.

Matt Harwood building an exhaust manifold, different engine, but worth seeing the problems he worked around:
    https://forums.aaca.org/topic/299008-1941-limited-limousine/page/2/

Greg Johnson's post on the alternate linkage for the two carb set up:
    https://forums.aaca.org/topic/326771-putzing-with-1941-42-dual-carb-parts/

harpo1313 likes this.
  3. kbgreen

kbgreen
    1. Georgia Hambers

Oh yeah, and this is very important: DO NOT SAY ANYTHING ABOUT NON FACTORY MODS! you'll get crucified. There are some that appreciate modification efforts, but a couple guys is all it takes for a mounted campaign to have you blessed out.

4. If you get "blessed out ", ask the mods to move you to the modified forum. Or just go there. I will talk to you there.

Ben

5. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Ben, I think the warning about 'non'factory mods' is in regard to AACA, not the HAMB

Hnstray likes this.
  7. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

img163.JPG The rear carb is actually more like the secondarys on a four barrel. It also had an air valve under it. If you wanted to run two carbs together, you need two front carbs.

302GMC, Hnstray and VANDENPLAS like this.
  8. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

You should be fine with headers. Plenty of inline motors that came with a heat riser set up have ditched them and been just fine.

9. Stooge

Stooge

Again, tread lightly, but theres a current thread in the pre war buick section about someone putzing around with compound carburetors on a straight 8 https://forums.aaca.org/topic/326771-putzing-with-1941-42-dual-carb-parts/

My 320's intake set up is just very early mocked up and i havent started the header until i get the engine in. Going to be a direct/ nonprogressive linkage, 4 late '40s carter W1's

20190216_140055.jpg 20190216_140131.jpg

RMR&C, hillbilly and Hnstray like this.
  10. Rick & Jan

Rick & Jan

This Dude used a pair of SBC block huggers and modified them just a bit to fit his Buick. He ran two pipes, just like duals, all the way to the back bumper, no mufflers. Really a different sound. IMG_2031[534].jpg IMG_2032[535].jpg IMG_2033[536].jpg IMG_2034[537].jpg IMG_2042[538].jpg

11. strait8

strait8
    from Skokie, IL

Gentlemen thank you for all the great responses and link information.
    Stooge I am wondering if the manifold you fabbed is interconnected horizontally between carbs or is each runner separate and just supported by the horizontal oval? I love the way it looks. Any reason you used single barrels over 2 barrels?
    Kbgreen I really like how that guy used the SBC headers and modified them. Seems like in the end he had to do a lot more cutting than planned but the end product looked good. Still wondering if it would be easier to get mandrel bends and start from scratch? Luckily I have a spare engine I can so all my fabrication on.
    How does one go about choosing carbs? Number, (odd, even, does it matter?))Size, jetting etc... I'd like to use my existing Strombergs . I want to improve performance as much as possible.

12. Stooge

Stooge

Yup, the oval tubing is the plenum connecting the 4 carburetors together, though at first, i had them on separate runners and was going to use a balancing tube to tie them together but decided on a log style intake instead. Having the tubing should also make it easier to support the throttle and choke linkages, whatever I end up doing for a fuel set up and should make it easier to have a vacuum source. I was pretty open to what I was going to use carb wise, originally I wanted to use 4 SU side draft, then was going to use Stromberg 97's mostly because I have more experience with them, but after a few months of research, studying what people had done already, and heard enough compelling cases were made by people smarter than I, to go with 4 single barrels, and should be plenty for my 320.

13. carbking

carbking

How about choosing carbs?

In order of importance:

(1) Engine displacement
    (2) Engine number of cylinders
    (3) Intake manifold design
    (4) Carburetor design (manual power system, or carbs DESIGNED to run in multiples)
    (5) Brand of carb you feel the best about modifying
    (6) Size of carbs
    (7) Type of carbs.

EDIT: (8) after re-reading this post, adding "availability of parts" to #5 above.

This article may (or may not) help:

http://www.thecarburetorshop.com/Triple1barrels.htm

Jon.

Last edited: May 28, 2019
    Stooge and Hnstray like this.
  14. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Now I wish I had gotten better detail pictures of this set up. Next time I get a chance to take pics of it (he's local) I'll try to do that.
    IMG_3481.JPG IMG_3482.JPG IMG_3483.JPG

15. Guys used to put 5 carbs on Jimmy sixes, just think how many you could get on a Buick straight 8.....:)

16. strait8

strait8
    from Skokie, IL

Carb king...

(1) Engine displacement 263
    (2) Engine number of cylinders 8
    (3) Intake manifold design I like the oval log plenum style design of Stooge. I think my fab skills could pull it off But have the factory dual carb one but could sell it.
    (4) Carburetor design (manual power system, or carbs DESIGNED to run in multiples) I think manual? Dont know the difference
    (5) Brand of carb you feel the best about modifying. Not married to them but have Stromberg aauvb 267's 4 bolt style 1-2 and 1-3 on the air horn. whatever that refers to.
    (6) Size of carbs Not 100% sure. 2 barrels but do not know cfm
    (7) Type of carbs. Stromberg but again could be persuaded otherwise.
    8 I think parts are fairly available

17. carbking

carbking

Strait8 - call me.

573-392-7378 (9-12, 1-4 Mon-Tues central time).

Jon.